M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gutted a 08 mufflers? After reading many posts I thought I would try it. Cut out the back plates with a air saw and woooo it doesnt look anything like all te posts. for one there is 5 tubes around the main tube and the wall maybe 10 inches in lookes to be welded all the way around. Am I screwed or what. and isnt the main pipe one unit connected at the front too? darn it i wanted to have the stock look just gutted would suck if i have to cut it all off and install the scorpion tips.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so I think I might have answered on question. Took off the top can shined a bright light from front to back and it does appear it is not one tube. thank goodness hope the bottom is the same. wondering If i should just insert a long air chisel and blast that middle plate out?

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
ok so I think I might have answered on question. Took off the top can shined a bright light from front to back and it does appear it is not one tube. thank goodness hope the bottom is the same. wondering If i should just insert a long air chisel and blast that middle plate out?
I think they are both set up this way. There are a couple of local guys that have them gutted.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
if you need another set of stock pipes, let me know. i have a set off a 2008 LE sitting in my garage now. less than 800 miles on them. in perfect condition. i'm not too far from you either.

just PM if interested.

hope you get things worked out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

You guys rock. thanks for the offers at this point the cans are still in good shape, Im going to try an air chisel today to try and drive the center wall out. wish me luck

mine are way different than thoes shown in the pic and different thsn any of the threads. I have been reading the threads for a month or two trying to decide if i wanted to try this on my own. broom stick no way i could lift the bike up, well at least rip it of the framebefor the center wall would even budge.

wish my camera could get a close up of this, It looks like a gatlin gun with the five tubes around the main tube with one main center wall

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks robert I deffintly hane the same set up very nice write up. wonder why I could never find this. I did many searches. I dont see a primary wall in mine but maybe it is there. What do you think about the air chisel idea. neighbor has one about 3 foot long.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys Guess what found an eaiser way AIR CHISEL 3FT everthing in there on the late o8 is welded,welded,welded but this did the trick. thanks again robert I was about to cut them off and run shorties even though I didnt wan exhaust blowing back to the bags.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts