M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I had some unplanned time to dink around and decided to work on the spoiler fit up.
I learned some things that might help some of you out.
1) A heat gun helps form the fiberglss to the mating radiator cover. My left side needed a tiny bit of tweaking.
Go gentle and heat it slowly/evenly with your hands close by checking to not over heat. 120-140 deg. should be all you need. Hold the part to the shape you desire with a little extra bend till it cools (you will have to be patient here). I installed the part, put layout tape on the spoiler and marked arrows on all the places that needed some adjusting, took off the spoiler,got beer, and heated away...
2) Some trimmed edges were not straight so some block sanding is needed.
3) The metal spacers didnt quite fit/fair the edges like I want so I used gasket stock and made a stack up of washers to make a smooth transition
4) I rounded all the edges that matched up with stock parts with a similar radius.
5) Instead of using the paper templates provided I taped the spoiler in place and made a drill start from the existing hole for a location (be aware of the drills angle or you still could be off). Then full I sized the hole on the Radiator cover. I used the aluminum block as a drill guide now. One bolt in first hole, then drill start in the other. I took the block off and full sized the remaining hole.
This made for as very nice fit up.

:beer3:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Looks good, bro. You're right...they are not perfect but you can tweak them to get them there. I love mine! :doorag:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This part is not cheap, and it is not new, why is it so hard for them to make the part fit without that much work? :dontknow:
I have done composite work for a long time and it seems to be the nature of after market fiber glass and similar materials.
If these were autoclaved in a jig it would be a better fit.
I thought it was a pretty good fit with only small adjustments

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Expecting perfection?
Your on the wrong planet, mate.
Best your gonna get is close enough.
Must be just me, but that has always been good enough.
If I want perfection, I'll do what is necessary to get there.
This way, I can say I have some skin in the game, was not just a bolt-on.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Looks real good

Nice fit! :bigthumbsup:

I had some unplanned time to dink around and decided to work on the spoiler fit up.
I learned some things that might help some of you out.
1) A heat gun helps form the fiberglss to the mating radiator cover. My left side needed a tiny bit of tweaking.
Go gentle and heat it slowly/evenly with your hands close by checking to not over heat. 120-140 deg. should be all you need. Hold the part to the shape you desire with a little extra bend till it cools (you will have to be patient here). I installed the part, put layout tape on the spoiler and marked arrows on all the places that needed some adjusting, took off the spoiler,got beer, and heated away...
2) Some trimmed edges were not straight so some block sanding is needed.
3) The metal spacers didnt quite fit/fair the edges like I want so I used gasket stock and made a stack up of washers to make a smooth transition
4) I rounded all the edges that matched up with stock parts with a similar radius.
5) Instead of using the paper templates provided I taped the spoiler in place and made a drill start from the existing hole for a location (be aware of the drills angle or you still could be off). Then full I sized the hole on the Radiator cover. I used the aluminum block as a drill guide now. One bolt in first hole, then drill start in the other. I took the block off and full sized the remaining hole.
This made for as very nice fit up.

:beer3:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Does this mean you have those dumb old ugly chrome thingies in perfect condition lying around doing nothing now?

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
:a20:
Not ready to part with them yet. Sorry
:agree:

IMHO, its always a good idea to hang onto the stock stuff, never knoiw when you are gonna need it later. Say you run over a small animal ( I hit a Virginia Opossum once), and it damages the chin "spoiler". Well then you got the stock stuff to put back on.

·
Registered
608 Posts
:agree:

IMHO, its always a good idea to hang onto the stock stuff, never knoiw when you are gonna need it later. Say you run over a small animal ( I hit a Virginia Opossum once), and it damages the chin "spoiler". Well then you got the stock stuff to put back on.
*sigh*. You're not workin with me here.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
*sigh*. You're not workin with me here.
Relax, I am sure that one of the over 80 folks who bought one of them-thar chin spoiler thingies will help you out. Some people hang onto things, and end up witha cluttered up attic, that would be me.:D

Some others sell everything for pennies on the dollar. That is what the classified section is here. :dontknow:
And I've bought a few things there for pennies on the dollar, so not complaining. I've just never sold anything there, and probably never will. When I decide, if ever, to sell the M109R, all the stock pieces, in boxes in my attic, will go with it.

You'll get your THINGIE soon enough!

·
Registered
608 Posts
You'll get your THINGIE soon enough!
Gosh and now it's big and red even.......gigglin.

TY. I'm sure sooner or later I will find a way to replace mine. Even if BullRider is gonna hoard his and stuff, someone maybe someday will be able to help.:joke:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
:pop::pop:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Expecting perfection?
Your on the wrong planet, mate.
Best your gonna get is close enough.
Must be just me, but that has always been good enough.
If I want perfection, I'll do what is necessary to get there.
This way, I can say I have some skin in the game, was not just a bolt-on.
I just got mine and I'm P.O'd. Do I expect perfection - not really, but I expect to receive a product that has a half way decent paint job and isn't scratched to the point where I have to repaint the damn thing. For $171 and a part scarcely bigger than a side panel it does meet my expectations. Will I use it - yeah, after all its paid for, but I will have to sand it off and repaint it.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I just got mine and I'm P.O'd. Do I expect perfection - not really, but I expect to receive a product that has a half way decent paint job and isn't scratched to the point where I have to repaint the damn thing. For $171 and a part scarcely bigger than a side panel it does meet my expectations. Will I use it - yeah, after all its paid for, but I will have to sand it off and repaint it.:mad::mad:
That spoiler has a gelcoat finish. That is what is sprayed onto the mould before the glass layup.
A sealer and paint color is your next step
What color is your bike?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I believe he thought gel coat black would be a perfect match. :dontknow: Go get it painted and I'm sure you will be happy.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts