Hi Lamont,

How the hell does this sheet work...there's no freakin axle,
I know ya'll are gonna laugh...BUT I can't figur it out :eek:.....OK
I looked again and there is an axle...BUT it ain't attached to the
freakin wheel :eek: :eek: :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
NICE...how do they do those open ones...what holds them on...I bet they cost a LOT of cash...great look though :bigthumbsup:

Devilish

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like a clear center piece given the distortion of things on the other side of the bike in the second picture. I would guess some kind of high strength clear material ?. Lexan ?.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Felix T Cat said:
Looks like a clear center piece given the distortion of things on the other side of the bike in the second picture. I would guess some kind of high strength clear material ?. Lexan ?.Â
Yeah you can see reflections in it in pic #2, but I don't think that even Lexan would hold up to any kind of shock for very long unless it was pretty thick.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well .... guess i better start saving up for that SANTIAGO wheel. Would definetly look great on the 109.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
the more i look at their wheels the more i like em. the santiago and the grand nationals are so sweet! lamont, any idea how much they're going to cost?

·
Registered
205 Posts
BlkM109r said:
the more i look at their wheels the more i like em. the santiago and the grand nationals are so sweet! lamont, any idea how much they're going to cost?
+1

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't think any of us could touch a true hubless rim due to the cost of the bearing , i watch them biuld one on the biker build off,and I though they said the durn bearing for it was $10,000 dollars,That sounds crazy i know but i'm sure that was the price he said,said it was special order :eek: silentrider

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
could be that expensive. i remember when matt hotch was building that blue chopper with the Vrod motor he has a custom rim milled for a 330 tire on the back and i think it was around $10k

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
How much do the stock wheels on the 109R weight?

JR: How much weight do y'all think could be dropped by going to a custom light-weight wheel? I think that you & Perry said you knocked ...well, can't remember exactly, 34 pounds? off the pipes doing your 2 into 1.

Y'all keep figuring out how to drop all this weight...then I won't need to before I buy one. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
silentrider said:
I don't think any of us could touch a true hubless rim due to the cost of the bearing , i watch them biuld one on the biker build off,and I though they said the durn bearing for it was $10,000 dollars,That sounds crazy i know but i'm sure that was the price he said,said it was special order :eek: silentrider
I forget the episode name you're refering to bro, but it was 10k+ for the drum bearing and its a proprietary design. That guy from Florida that had the wreck and killed the guy on the moped recently.. Billy Lane?? I think it was him that was in the episode.. But I don't recall if it was him that used that hubless design or not, just recall that he was in the competition. May not have even been the same episode to be honest, Discovery ran like 6 or 7 back to back about 6 weeks back and I watched them all, they kinda jumbled in my melon since then :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
DaltonH Yes your right it was Billy Lane I Had a mental lock :D and couldn't think of his name yea the bearing was like in three pieces I can picture him putting it together that wasn't the bike that burnt was it? he had a gas leak on one of his bikes got gas all over him they showed his butt in the river washing off :D :D :D Kind off stupid to me to keep riding when gas is spraying all over you it was even getting on the guys riding behind him,But then again he proved he's not the smartest apple on the tree ::) :cop:

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Billy Lane butt washing ceremony I saw was because he ran his exhaust right under his seat with no insulation. His pants were happily smoking like a cigarette from the heat :D He wasn't going to do anything about it till someone stopped and told him he was on fire :D He said something like it was hot but he hadn't known he was on fire :eek: :edit: that had to have been hot. Don't remember if it was a hubless model though I know he built a few.
Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just be careful with the super light wheels! It reduces the gyroscopic effect as well as unsprung weight. It can have a negative effect on the bikes stability as I am sure many of you already know. I'm sure it's not going to make as big a difference on the 109 but I had a set of real light racing wheels on my YZR-R1 and got into a vicious tank slapper that I thought was going to kill me. I wrecked out pretty hard at Laguna Seca during an AMA qualifying race. One of the factory riders was nice enough to help out a privateer and gave me a few tips on bike setup. One of which had a lot to do with wheel choice. I know that rake, trail, and blah, blah, blah are all factors so please don't start in on that stuff. I just wanted those who may be running lighter wheels someday to be careful when testing them out. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts