M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I walk into the HD dealership in Meridian, MS just for kicks. Salesman strolls over to me and says, "Which one you buying today?" I just smile and say, "Na, just browsing, wife wouldn't go for another bike in the garage." He laughs and says, "So whatta you ride now?" I reply, "Zuke, 109." He scoffs, "Oh, you ride the one that's supposed to be better than a Harley, huh?" I reply, "Well you said that, not me..." He goes on to tell me all about history, heritage, lifestyle, blah blah blah... and asked me how can you top that. I told him quality and value for tops it for me every time!!!

Hope they get better training than that on why Harley is superior to others, cause if not they're company's in trouble... Oh, yea, it's already in trouble, huh? Just wanted to share my experience...

·
Registered
259 Posts
priceless:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I absolutly love it!!!!!!! Let only ride are bikes on 80 + degrees and the next day be back in a suit! HAHAHA

Real Riders Ride Real Bikes!!

O and my experience was walking into a harley dealer and getting drawn to a v-rod drag bike that was really done up! Guys comes up and says ya thats a nice one! I replied ya what all is done to it! He reads off a list and say there was about $22000 invested not including the bike! The i asked how fast! He said it was clocked at 11.1 1/4 mile at 132mph!

I laughed and said i have a stock hayabusa with nothing invested goin 10.3 1/4 miles at 142mph. Give me $22000. ill show you speed!:doorag:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I hear ya. I stopped at some friends of mine who just opened a Harley shop up in the mountains , a couple days ago, and this average size guy come up on his harley, and came back where I was and looked at my 9 and said. "noting personal but i like my Harleys. I said Not a problem at all, He talked a while then held up his dainty little hand and showed me his boo boo haaaaaaaaaaaa He cut his finger when a light bulb broke.......Then he had to show me a picture of his stitches on his phone. We walk out fron to look at his Harley. Pretty dirty not much shine and he had this l;ittle plastic shield right under his crotch both sides. I said what is that for? He said it keeps the heat of the engine from burning me haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa OK. Then I was talkin g with john the owner of the shop and mentioned cagers. The Harley guy says, What's that. OMG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And speaking of Harleys financial strength. If it wasn't for drawing on TARP $$$$$$ 32 times,,,,,you read that right, 32 times they sold their debt to the Feds......... And now assembling hogs in India!!!! I haven't had the opportunity to ask any of them what they think about that and I guess they can't claim Harleys are American made anymore.............

I am wrong, it was 33 times they took our money.........

By the fall of 2008, credit had frozen across the financial system, including the commercial paper market. The Fed then purchased commercial paper issued by GE 12 times for a total of $16 billion. It bought paper from Harley-Davidson 33 times, for a total of $2.3 billion. It picked up debt issued by Verizon twice, totaling $1.5 billion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/01/AR2010120106870.html

Read the whole article if you haven't already, I'm still pi$$ed..............

·
Registered
571 Posts
He goes on to tell me all about history, heritage, lifestyle, blah blah blah... and asked me how can you top that.

They are specificaly trained to talk about the Harley Heritage, Lifestyle and the quality of there service when they get hired. They are also discuraged from talking about technology and reliability.

·
Registered
791 Posts
seems to me, bout every Harley owner sports a Harley attitude. ...no thanks, not me at all. ...don't wanna ...nope!

That fact alone prevents me from even going into a dealership - not to mention owning one.

No thank you. :D

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Haha typical stereotype!! Too bad they need to be schooled correctly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
All good points my friend. You should add the 109 starts every time and also does feel as if it needs to mark it territory every time is is parked somewhere.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Last week, my dad, a few of his friends, and I rode down to a newer H-D dealership to check out the store and browse. I'm the only metric in the group and I park right next to the front door. Amazingly, the salesman wasn't a total tool about it. There's a bike on the showroom floor called a "convertible", and it's sticker price is $32000. He goes on about the features and what not, cool paint scheme, etc. Then he mentions the 80 hp it has. And, for another $5000, you can upgrade it to 100 hp. I laughed a little and said mine makes more than that bone stock, and it's less than half the price. Surprisingly, he agreed, and mentioned the V-rod. I told him it was ugly, and didn't do anything for me. MY dad chimed in that the V-rod was getting spanked at the dragstrip by sportsters!!! We left shortly thereafter.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Really?

All good points my friend. You should add the 109 starts every time and also does feel as if it needs to mark it territory every time is is parked somewhere.
No need to exaggerate the shortcomings of the current HDs, they start just fine, and don't leak oil.
I would train my employees to talk about something else other than performance too if I was selling an under performing, over priced machine!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Haha typical stereotype!! Too bad they need to be schooled correctly.
Love the 250 patch on your Jacket Big B!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ive got a good friend with an HD Ultra Classic, when we ride and stop everybody allways tells me man thats a nice bike. The HD guy says i hate that:edit::edit: bike, I said why he said because nobody braggs on mine.lol All that money and no glory.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
He goes on to tell me all about history, heritage, lifestyle, blah blah blah... and asked me how can you top that.

They are specificaly trained to talk about the Harley Heritage, Lifestyle and the quality of there service when they get hired. They are also discuraged from talking about technology and reliability.
That's what they push because that's all they got to sell

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took my training class to get my motorcycle license thru and HD dealership. Once I passed the class the dealership was pressing us to buy a Harley. After I told them I already have a M109, the instructor told me if he'd known that he would have failed me. Something tells me he probably wasn't joking. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
real guys know

My little brother drives a 07 Electra glide police special, he got a hell of a deal when the Canadian dollar was at $1.10 to the green back, some police force ordered it then jammed out, no miles on it for $15,000. He could sell that bike up here for $25,000, but he likes cruising thru the mountains on it. We switch bikes once in a while, he likes how solid my 08 le feels, but can't stand the wind. I agree with the wind his bike does have some good points over mine, he admits Harley's are complete junk, and said he would be suicidal if he paid full price after working on it a bit, and seeing just how bad it is put together, but, it is way more comfortable on long rides, and he has a way bigger aftermarket support. The plus for him is that he will have parts for it for longer then I will with mine, and that's true. When we pull up together at lights he does have a presents with the chrome and idle but, when I drive it, it feels like a vespa, they are a very easy driving bike, anybody can drive a Harley there are no surprises or points of concern with them. He really doesn't want to ever buy another bike just keep fixing up this one, if they were more powerful and liquid cooled I would consider it, Since Japanese bikes are really a throw away after a certain point. Not knocking the m109. He hates the Harley rider mentality he calls them load lawn mowers whenever we cruise by them, but this is what he chose and he says it does what he needs for him. Then his kid runs into the garage with Harley PJ's on. I just shake my head. :doh:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I went by a Harley dealership, just to kill time one afternoon. I was looking at gloves for winter riding. Yes, the pretty girls come over and talk to you when they think you are gonna buy something. I eventually went over to the chrome parts. Two salesmen were by the parts counter, an older guy, and a young one.
The older guy ask what I was riding, and I told him a Suzuki M109. He kinda smiled, and said thats a shame. The young kid says, "oh wow, I hear those are really fast, what color is it"? We looked at chrome pieces so i could get an idea of pieces to look for, for my bike. We talked about performance, pipes, fuel upgrades, and wheels. Finally the older guy comes over, and gives him something to do, to keep busy.
He was a cool kid, and knew his stuff. I'd go back to talk with him, and buy un-marked items, just to tweak the older guy. The older guy has no clue about real customer service.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If it wasnt for harleys, I probably wouldnt have learned how to ride and wrench on bikes. I've had 5 of them over the course of 20 years. Planning on getting a Streetglide later this year for everyday use and roadtrips.

Y'all say what you will about 'em....I still like my Harleys.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts