M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to seapup for the name, I thought it fit. :D

I made this over the last couple weeks from a spare exhaust. I kept the SET, similar to the way Sly did his. The muffler is a 22 1/2" polished stainless resonated 3 1/2" tip. It sounds awesome, but it is a little loud on acceleration and when pulling a hill. My wife tells me it's not that loud, but I think she just wants to see me ride it and quit working on it. ::) :D

Comments are welcome. The only thing I'm thinking about changing on it is to change the transition from the stock pipes to the muffler so it goes more in line with it, but I don't want to go low enough to worry about dragging it. I had a couple purposes in doing this, one was to take some weight off, and the other was to make room to lower the rear pegs so the wife is more comfortable. I hit both of those, this weighs a good 30 pounds less and I can drop the rear pegs down about 2".

I angled it to the side to give it more length, and painted the inside with black 500 degree caliper paint that has ceramic in it. So far the paint is holding fine and I've ridden it over 200 miles.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, it's rained since Sunday and by the time I got home this evening it was starting to get a little dark, plus was cloudy. I'll do some better sunny day pics as soon as I can.

·
Radio Active Member
27,688 Posts
Re: The Zoominator

Nice work there Zoom, I think it looks great. :a18: :sound: :bad2thebone: :beer3:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The Zoominator

Thanks guys, I thought it looked OK but wanted some other opinions. So far I've gotten more PM's than I have opinions. :D

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Nice work Zoom, looks good.. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Really Cool :bigthumbsup: :yourock:

If I didn't like my V Rod exhaust so much you would be getting a PM from ME :evil: :evil:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the comments. The more I ride it, the better I like it. Still planning on changing it at some point so it has a direct line from shields to muffler, but it will do as it is for now. :D

PreacherMan, look up Sly's how-to on his and mine was done pretty much the same way. I didn't cut and reposition the SET, but it would have been easier if I had. Once you cut the SET and position the pipe where you want it, the rest is just getting pipes from the SET to the muffler, and planning a little ahead on where the shields are going to end up.

Here is how the pipe transitions. The SET is about 2 3/4" inside, so a 2 1/2" pipe cut at an angle butts right up to it. I then reduced that to 2 1/4" to go to the muffler. The muffler is 2 1/4" in and out. Sly did a 3" pipe on the outside of his SET and ran that to the pipe.

All that was left after that was to make a mount for the muffler, which I did by using part of the original muffler mounting bracket and welding a tab on the pipe. The mounting bracket still has the grommet and bushing from the original part, so it can give a little with the engine. If you look closely at the top view above, you can see the bracket and grommet hanging down below the black plastic side panel. The muffler has an angle welded to the bottom of it that goes over and up to the bracket and is bolted to it. I can take the muffler back off in a few minutes.

The heat shields have quite a bit of flexibility to them, which surprised me. If I had known that I would have started of with it lower at the front and not have had that up and back kick to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You've Done a GR8 job,my hat goes off to you,Like the way you've destickered/badged your bike,
From a mate Down Under...Ride Safe...:congrats: :agree: [rofl2]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Excellent work there zoom, it looks nice. :bigthumbsup: :super:
Who's muffler, how much and where do you find it?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tek5 said:
Excellent work there zoom, it looks nice. :bigthumbsup: :super:
Who's muffler, how much and where do you find it?
I bought it off ebay, it's a Silverline polished stainless resonated exhaust tip. 22 1/2" long with a 2 1/4" inlet and outlet, and 3 1/2" body diameter. It's the same kind of tip you would use on a truck if you wanted to quieten it a little. I think it was $39.95 plus shipping, for a total of about $52. I bought the stock exhaust off albe on here so I wouldn't have to cut mine up, so I've got a little more than that in it. The pipes for the transition I had from old exhaust systems. Couldn't find a decent looking clamp for the muffler so I made one from a piece of strap steel and polished it.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, and I'm planning on doing a sound clip soon. It's pretty loud to me, but most say it's not bad. Definitely has a wicked snarl to it. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man!, GREAT Job on that fabrication!, I think it's a PERFECT set-up as you have in the pic. Reason being it's right below that shiney brake cover that WE have, and at the same time it has a upward angle.
I like it so much, How bout' giving me a price for a set for mine!!!. AGAIN, NICE JOB! :congrats: ;)

Mr. Volts

·
Registered
548 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts