M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got kind of a late start on Friday so we made up a little time going home. I our first fuel stop was Lusk and I knew it was going to be close fuel wise but I got to find out the hard way just how far I can go on a tank of gas in a headwind towing a 300 lb. trailer at 100+.

We decided after that to try and make it to Moab Utah and that would give us a short day on Sat. You wouldn't believe the number of bikes and trailers heading the other way. I'm glad we got out of there when we did. By time we got to Cheyenne, WY I was getting pretty tired and it was really hot. The wind and the traffic was killing me but I knew if I didn't push it I was going to have a real long ride the next day so we motored on. This time we stopped about every 100 miles or so and that helped.

We went from real hot to cold rain when we got to the Rockies. The traffic was pretty bad going up the mountain and it was raining pretty good and Big Joe didn't have any rain pants so he was getting soaked. I put on my chaps and I was fine. We stopped at a gas station at the top of the mountain and got a hot cut of coffee and thawed out a bit. I took a few pics while I was there. There was still snow in some spots. The grooved roads in the rain is real fun too.

Once we got out of the rain we were able to crank it back up again and by that time we were loosing daylight. We decided to make it to Grand Junction for the night. When we got there I used the GPS to find a hotel. Big Joe and I were both beat so we pretty much just crashed for the night. We did 650 miles that day in the heat the cold and the wind. It was one of those days that you wished to were in a nice truck. The elements really took it's toll on us.

We got up early and hit the road at 6 am. We decided to get breakfast after our first fuel stop in Moab.

We went about 100 miles and my GPS was messed up and I missed my off ramp by four miles. I had to turn around and that's when Big Joe noticed the white strip on my tire. I guess it's a good thing that I missed the turn or he may have never seen it. We pulled into a rest stop and a trucker said there was a motorcycle shop in Moab so I took my time getting there in one piece.

I was pretty sure that it was a fat chance to find a fat tire in Moab on a Sat. , that's when I remembered that I could use a car tire and the GPS said there was a Big O Tire in Moab. I figured they would have an 18" car tire I could use to get me home.

We decided to go ahead and get something to eat first before we started the hunt for the fat tire. Had a great breakfast and went to a little Harley type shop and talked to John to see if he had a tire. John didn't but he proceeded to tell us how nobody in this town would work on motorcycles except for him and don't even bother with the car tire guy (Chip) because he hates bikers and wouldn't help any of them. So that being said we decided to go see Chip and see what he said. He was maxed out with customers but told of us of another place to try first and if that didn't work then come back and he would see if he had any in his warehouse.

We went to Big O Tires and they were closed. We went to the Chevy dealer and they were open but nobody was there at all. Then we went to this off road motorcycle guy and he told us about another guy (Fred) that didn't have a tire but he would mount the car tire for us if we found one so we went back and saw Chip and one of his guys found a 18" tire that looked like it might work. Chip took my card number and said make sure it fits first and if it did he would charge me for it. He told me his cost and marked it up 10% instead of his normal 40% because I guess he liked us. Guess I should tell old John that he doesn't hate all bikers. We got the tire and went looking for Arrowhead Motorsports.

Now you got to understand that I am desperate at this point and I was willing to do whatever it took to get me back on the road with a good tire. We found Arrowhead Motorsports and I knew that this guy was going to make it happen. You could tell that this place knew how to work with whatever he had.

The entryway to Arrowhead Motorsports.

My new best friend "Fred"

When we pulled up with the tire and started to take some measurements we saw there was going to be a problem with my hitch. That's when Fred got the idea to mount the car tire on Joe's bike and put Joe's tire on my bike. That was a great idea because then I didn't have to deal with a Big O flat car tire on m bike. Big Joe was glad to help so we pulled up to the shop and proceeded to swap out tires.

Big Joe's thinking this is going to really suck for him.

Fred hard at it on a Saturday morning.

Tight fit.

It worked!

We thanked Fred and headed out. I followed Joe for a while but he got use to that tire pretty quick and it didn't look like it slowed him down at all. We lost 4 hours in Moab so he had some time to make up for. We pretty much ran 100+ the whole way home. If that sounds fast you have to understand that most of the cars were doing 90+ so it was just a little faster than the cars were going.

We made it back to Prescott in good time and thanked the Lord for getting us home safe. This could have been really bad if that tire would have blown while we were hitting a sweeper at speed. I think I've been working my guardian angels overtime on this trip.

Sites along the way.

They say a friend will help you move...a good friend will help you move a body...a really good friend will give you his good tire and take your car tire so you can get home.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Glad you made it home ok and thank goodness for good friends!!!   :bigthumbsup:

From your posts it sounds like you guys had a blast and I'm jealous as hell.  Maybe someday I can get away long enough to take a trip like it!!

Ride safe bro. :doorag:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Awesome story. :super: Glad your safe. Thanx for sharing. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like a movie in the making. oh wait a minute. If that wasnt the scene from easy rider nothing was.
maybe "Easy rider Redux" Glad it all worked out. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow. Nice that Joe was along and didn't hesitate to ride the car tire.A good friend for life now.Some guys ALWAYS come thru 8) Really enjoyed the trip along with you guys.
My son and I got the bug today and went up to Mt Charleston and over, nice run from the far south end of the valley.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, that looks like an awesome trip... can't wait to make it myself one day...

Awesome pictures, thank you so much for sharing your fun with us :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Awesome mate you have but I wanna know what size that tyre was and how did it handle I am guessing it felt like a Harley :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
What a great story.  I wonder if we can get a good  snow tire so we can ride year round!! Thankyou for all of your time and effort you put in to this board.  Thanks for all of the work. Its made owning the 109 even more great!! Sincerely: Paul K

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Xhiler8r said:
Awesome mate you have but I wanna know what size that tyre was and how did it handle I am guessing it felt like a Harley :D
It was a 245/45 I'm pretty sure. It seemed to work fine and it looks cool but it handles like a truck without power steering. Good in a pinch but not a mod I would recommend. ::)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fyrmanjam said:
Sounds like a movie in the making. oh wait a minute.  If that wasnt the scene from easy rider nothing was.Â
maybe  "Easy rider Redux" Glad it all worked out. :bigthumbsup:

:bigthumbsup: :doorag: :super:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Truly pioneers !!!!

Take note people.... This is what we mean by the word "Brothers".

Lamont, we are all glad you had a brother with you and were able to make it home in one peice !!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a feeling when the weather turns and we have some itchy riders, this post is going to rise up a few times. :evil:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like you eally had a great time, and made some special friendships along the way. :bigthumbsup:

Thanks again for taking the time to post, and keeping us all upto date throughout your trip :beer3:

·
Registered
195 Posts
:bigthumbsup:my hat go's off to you Big JOE now thats a true friend in deed.
if we all could have just one friend like that we all would be bluest :bigthumbsup:

G

·
very cool, read alot about Fred at Arrow from advrider.com folks and their many crazy road trips. Was so cool to read that you all crossed paths and he helped you out with your cruiser. Small world aint it??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts