M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my deposit down on my 109 I had all these ideas of what I was going to do to it once I had it in my garage. One of which was to debadge it, or remove every Suzuki label, tag and sticker from it. Then I started thinking about the "real" reasons people do this. Although we may say we like the "clean" look, the underlying truth is that we don't want people to know or even think were on a rice burnin', mass produced foreign scooter. It seems all the respect goes to the one off customs that are American made and cost as much as the average mansion of the 60's.

Have you ever heard of someone debadging their new Harley, or their Rolex or Ferrari? Sad but true, we are attention seekers, we want bragging rights, we want envy! As the approval seekers we are, we will follow in the grain of someone elses thinking and do what is necessary to lead that thinking where we want, ragardless of truth.

Likewise, people seem give more respect to Harley's because they know it's an expensive bike. It may be an inferior bike, slower, less efficient and mechanically inept but more expensive. More expensive is a direct translation of higher salaries being paid, inneficient operations, higher warranty claims etc. But people pay the respect to the expensive without regard as to why, they just assume it must be better.

I picked up my 109 last night and rode it home 147 miles. It felt tailored to me, it felt like I was made for it. It's beautiful, powerful and awsome! In only a few miles I felt like it was an old friend that was going to be with me a very long time. This bike is deserving of all the respect it gets and then some, it's low cost is a product of a well run, efficiently managed company, not of an inferior product. This is a revelation, for the first time in my long list of bikes, a Suzuki badge will be worn with every honor wrongly given to the inferior, more expensive bikes. There is no good cause to deface this machine of wonder. Suzuki has arrived! Wear it's namesake with esteem and pride.
Challenge anyone who may suggest they have an alternative that scores higher in any category other than cost!

I've got to go, it's been 23 minuets since my last ride!

Mike,
Sarasota, FL

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'll comment. My last ride was a V-Star 1100 custom. Pipes, lowered to the ground, custom potatoe chip seat, modded all the way, looked like an old rat bike. I debadged it for one reason and it wasn't so people would think it was a HD. Before I debadged it I got a lot of nice comments until they realized it was a Yamaha. I actually had one guy walk right up to it wondering what year my old "Indian" was. When he saw the Yamaha badge he actually said "Oh, it's a Yamaha" and abruptly about faced and left. Right then I knew that I wanted to debadge the bike because I wanted people to like the bike the bike for what it was rather than what it said on the tank. Worked like a charm. That being said, I will not debadge this bike because I agree with you partially. I do think it's time that these powercruisers get the respect they deserve. I also think that this bike can overcome the old HD cruiser wannabe syndrome. The 109R can hold its own in all catagories including price. I don't think debadging this particular bike makes sense. I consider it equal to debadging a Corvette. I think debadging is for the classic looking cruisers. The performance of this bike screams for recognition. Would you debadge a Corvette, a Viper, or any musclecar? So in a nutshell debadging for me was never about wanting people to think I had an expensive bike, it was purely about if they liked what they saw then so be it. No names or brands to distract them. And it worked.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
When we built the first VTX Chopper we had "Honda" painted right on it so everyone knew this was NOT a Harley. It didn't seem to bother these folks. ;)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
to each his own! I debadged the 03' Sabre I traded on my M109 but mainly because the decals were cheap looking. I had a lot of people ask me if it was a fatboy! most people who know their bikes would not mistake a shaft drive bike for a fatboy. I took the retard stickers off the top of the tank on the M109R but Kinda like the tank badge and the M109R badges on the side covers. I also took off the side reflectors front and rear. I may take off the Suzuki sticker on rear fender as it looks kinda cheap, but I have to de-mudflap it this weekend and build me a tag bracket and put some streamlined turn sigs on it. I still have people asking me what it is even with the badges on it. everyone here at work loves it, even the Harley guys/gals. a couple of the sport bike guys could not believe the rear wheel/tire were stock, most thought it was custom. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would never want to impose a false impression that the machine of choice that I chose to saddle is by any means a HD. I would never own a HD and its not a financial barrier. I just I choose to ride rather that repair. As far as debadging a muscle car, well chalk one up for me. I have debadged my Camaro because it cleans up the body and besides I never had question is to what kind of car I was driving. This is why we live in this grand country, freedom of choice man. All views are expressed openly and freely. Peace

·
Registered
181 Posts
GVOXX said:
 Then I started thinking about the "real" reasons people do this. Although we may say we like the "clean" look, the underlying truth is that we don't want people to know or even think were on a rice burnin', mass produced foreign scooter.
Mike,
Sarasota, FL
Mike,
The underlying reason that YOU may debadge you bike is clearly stated in your post. Â But, to presumptively assume that you know the motivations for someone else's personal decision to debadge their bike is laughable at best.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with a large part of Re: The psycology of debadging, however I don't think it applies to all forein made bike owners. My 109 is debadged with the the exception of the M109R decals and I contemplated doing this for a few days before I started simply because I am very impressed with the designers and engineers of the M109R regardless of their ethnicity and did not want to disrespect them. I'm not real excited about the 109 being mass produced but between Suzuki and the after market customization companies, it gives us all a chance to make the 109 our own custom bike based on an awesome foundation regardless of it's origin.

Debadged = Yes
Proud it's a Zuki 109 = Yes

Just my opinion. :p

G

·
the underlying truth is that we don't want people to know or even think were on a rice burnin', mass produced foreign scooter
LOL! You are so far off on that frickin' statement...you have no idea....I actually laughed out loud...good one....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mine is debadged and I don't want people to think I ride a Harley. I have German and Japanese cars and don't try to hide their origin.  I have always owned Japanese bikes and I really like them.

I hate that giant plastic Boulevard badge on the tank. I hate any stickers on the bike. I debadged my sportbikes too.

I enjoy telling people that it's a Suzuki when they come up and ask. They aren't expecting it and it lets me give them a lecture on how bikes work and also on what I believe personally makes a good bike. Every manufacturer makes a few bikes I would like to own.

As to whether or not someone cares if I am riding a bike manufactured in Japan. I could totally care less, it's none of their business. They probably own or have owned a Japanese or German car.

I buy the best product for me. It would be cool if that product where made in America, but it's not my problem if it isn't.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Lamonster,

Beautiful job on the bike, I love the show of pride to finish off the bike with the Honda and VTX branding. That's a hot scoot, looks like you had a few names in the business thinking the same thing. Much respect to you, and admiration for having the ability to do it in the first place!

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
GVOXX said:
Hey Lamonster,

Beautiful job on the bike, I love the show of pride to finish off the bike with the Honda and VTX branding. That's a hot scoot, looks like you had a few names in the business thinking the same thing. Much respect to you, and admiration for having the ability to do it in the first place!
To be honest with you Hal started the project and Wilbur did most of the work. I helped put it together and helped with a few changes but it was the motivation for me to build the PSP with Hal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
AMEN Brother!! My Suzuki is a He%# of a lot better quality than the 2 H-D's I own. I own them because I inherted them from a friend. They are riders but my M109R is a bike, built good, low maintainence, good milege, smart look, and faster than your average cruiser on the market. Doug

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
GVOXX said:
When I had my deposit down on my 109 I had all these ideas of what I was going to do to it once I had it in my garage. One of which was to debadge it, or remove every Suzuki label, tag and sticker from it. Then I started thinking about the "real" reasons people do this. Although we may say we like the "clean" look, the underlying truth is that we don't want people to know or even think were on a rice burnin', mass produced foreign scooter. It seems all the respect goes to the one off customs that are American made and cost as much as the average mansion of the 60's.

Have you ever heard of someone debadging their new Harley, or their Rolex or Ferrari? Sad but true, we are attention seekers, we want bragging rights, we want envy! As the approval seekers we are, we will follow in the grain of someone elses thinking and do what is necessary to lead that thinking where we want, ragardless of truth.

Likewise, people seem give more respect to Harley's because they know it's an expensive bike. It may be an inferior bike, slower, less efficient and mechanically inept but more expensive. More expensive is a direct translation of higher salaries being paid, inneficient operations, higher warranty claims etc. But people pay the respect to the expensive without regard as to why, they just assume it must be better.

I picked up my 109 last night and rode it home 147 miles. It felt tailored to me, it felt like I was made for it. It's beautiful, powerful and awsome! In only a few miles I felt like it was an old friend that was going to be with me a very long time. This bike is deserving of all the respect it gets and then some, it's low cost is a product of a well run, efficiently managed company, not of an inferior product. This is a revelation, for the first time in my long list of bikes, a Suzuki badge will be worn with every honor wrongly given to the inferior, more expensive bikes. There is no good cause to deface this machine of wonder. Suzuki has arrived! Wear it's namesake with esteem and pride.
Challenge anyone who may suggest they have an alternative that scores higher in any category other than cost!

I've got to go, it's been 23 minuets since my last ride!

Mike,
Sarasota, FL
Sorry Mike, Oprah, Dr Phil, Whomever you are. You are wrong thinking that the thought you came up with fits everyone.
I debadge most of what I like. Sometimes I put badges back on that say the same thing but look cooler. Sometimes I am glad there is one or two fewer things to wax around. I never tell people my bike is a Harley. It's a Suzuki M109R, that is what I say. I am actually glad some of the people walk away when they find out. I am WAY TOO BUSY to deal with @$$h0l3s :D I am glad when the worst ones show themselves right away.

Here is some advice I received 10 years ago.
I was looking to buy my first Snowmobile (they rule!) I did ALL the research. I read ALL the mags... I read EVERYTHING on-line (really)
I talked to everyone I saw with one. All but one went like this
ME- Hey which machine is the best?
Them- This one
Me- why?
Cause thats what I have.....

It went on like this forever till someone said, Is this your first one? I said yes. He said buy the color you like. They are all awesome compared to a few years ago, you will love whatever you buy. I bought him a beer. He had an Arctic Cat, I bought a Skidoo.

If I were you I would concentrate on buying what YOU like and having fun. I shopped for 3 months to buy a bike. did all the research Blah Blah Blah. I walked past a black 109 outside the dealer 6-7 times researching other bikes, it looked cool but was not for me. I was not looking for a cruiser really, especially one with forward controls. I was 2 weeks away from buying either a BMW R1150R or a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 or one other.
Then I said hey I am just going to sit on this since it looks so cool. BAM It fit perfect, like it was made for me. I got off and on 3-4 more times right then. By the time I walked away I knew I would buy that.

One of the biggest reasons I did not buy a Harley ( I had every intention of it when I started looking) was that EVERYONE buys a Harley!

That being said, they are beautiful. When their traditional look goes water cooled and they tighten up the repair issues I may get one then and I can guarantee I would debadge it.

PS Does anyone know where I can get a chrome stylized Suzuki "S" with maybe some flames trailing behind?? My tank looks too "clean" :D

Sledzep

·
Registered
898 Posts
OH Damn ! what kind of pipe is that :eek: I am thinking I need that on the 109 :evil:

khrome

Lamonster said:
To be honest with you Hal started the project and Wilbur did most of the work. I helped put it together and helped with a few changes but it was the motivation for me to build the PSP with Hal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
456 Posts
I debadged my 109. But not cause I wanted peeps to think it was a HD. In my opinion of all the metric crusier out there the 109 looks the farthest thing from a Harley you could get. It just has too much sport bike styling cues in it.

Since the debadging I have had many people ask me about the bike, but I have yet to have someone ask me. "WOW, Is that a Harley?" Thats just not going to happen with this bike.

Oddly enough, the mods I am doing first, new mirrors, different turn-signals, debadging, are because all these parts are from the Suzuki parts bin. The same parts are on all Suzuki cruisers. I just ahppen to think that Suzuki's flagship cruiser should have it own unique parts. If not i'll put them on myself. :)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I still have my badges on, but I'm thinking of taking them off for two reasons.

(1.) I think the name "Boulevard" is a poor name for a motorcycle, especially one as evil as this one. The name doesn't match the bike, and I would have preferred if the badge had just said "Suzuki". I was in White Rock B.C. today, and a guy was praising my bike up and down, but said "What's with the name "Boulevard? What kind of name is that for a bike like this". Had to agree.

2. The badge design is also too conservative for this machine. I think it looks like one of those "Star Trek Communicators" more than something symbolic of an evil machine like this. Harley Davidson, and some other metric cruisers, have done this way better than Suzuki cruisers in general. Their badge designs look cool, and have decent names. I mean really, "Boulevard".. Does any part of this bike reflect that name at all?

Mike, I understand what your saying, I think you have a valid point. However I think your point would have hit home more here, if Suzukii had a decent name and design for this particular badge.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts