M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is partially dedicated to Grampi because I know he would love this so much.

Personally I`ve been on more then 4 Harley Test rides at a dealer just north of me, and each time we only rode 1 city block, only right turns. LAME!!! I didn`t feel cool at all :joke:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow! Step by step instructions on the HD mindfuk!

Don't drink the Kool-Aid kiddies!

How did you get your hands on that?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
That reads more like how you introduce someone to a cult instead of a culture.

Which reminds me. I have a difficult time associating "culture" and "HD" in the same sentence. Maybe it is a cult. :dontknow:

G

·
LMFAO!!! They've actually got an official "How to Be Completely Full of $zhit" manual! Very telling that the entire focus is on the "experience", "lifestyle", and "being seen", rather than the 800lb, chromed-out deck chairs that they're peddling for $20K. It's proof that even HD itself knows that there's no actual product to sell, so they pimp the image and nothing but the image. It's more pathetic than I ever thought possible.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Step by step instructions on the HD mindfuk!

Don't drink the Kool-Aid kiddies!

How did you get your hands on that?
I didnt get that manual, I got those pictures from some yamaha forum

·
Registered
299 Posts
Power of the test ride !

About 3 years back,took an MT-01 for a test ride,with intention of buying said bike.The dealer said the test ride duration was no more than half an hour.Told the bloke I would need a bit more time than that to make up my mind as to whether or not I would by it.He asked how much more time do you need?Told him at least two hours.He thought about it for a second,then said OK.But no more than 2 hours.The next 2 hours was really mind blowing.It was after only 10 minutes of riding the 01 that I made up my mind to buy.Finally took the bike back,(after topping up the fuel-decent thing to do seeing as I'd had the bike for 2 hours)told the bloke I would be back with the bank cheque in a couple of days.He gave me a really great deal,so I walked out of the Yammy dealership a happy little vegemite.However,I didn't get the 01,because the next day I saw the M109R,and the 01 went out the window.Bought a Ranga in January of 2008,but would still like an MT-01.So in closing,I would say that the power of the test ride plays a big part in any sale.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
rather than the 800lb, chromed-out deck chairs that they're peddling for $20K. It's more pathetic than I ever thought possible.
HOLY CHIT!!!!!!!! I almost put my Dr Pepper all over my keyboard!

This explains alot. I went up to sign up for the (Learn to ride program) since it was close and a easy way to get my M endorsment..... all they were worried about was selling me gear. After their pitch on all the HD crap I was going to have to buy to learn the proper way to ride. I finally just looked at the lady and said with the power thoses HD's have I could fall off wearing a milk carton for a helmet and not get hurt!

I just walked out leaving her trying to figure out wut just happend :dontknow:

·
Registered
595 Posts
That's REALLY funny!!.....when I test rode the 9, the salesman took me down an empty county highway behind the dealership and let the bike speak for itself.

He let me crack the throttle open hard a few times and throw it around some curves.....done deal - no complex sales tactics needed.

:a20:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
For you younger fella's....it's all about physiological marketing...and it's been going on en mass since the 50's. They sold cars,appliances,cigarettes and just about anything else the same way. I grew up around the car industry and you wouldn't believe back then what was taught and expected to sell cars. I could write a book...one dealer group used to teach it's salesmen to throw the customers keys on the building roof of the potential trade in after it was appraised :eek: This was to "help" the salesmen in convincing the customer he "had" to trade now because his keys were 'lost" :confused: A lot of "wearing down" techniques were also used to make it easier "just to buy the damned thing". Harley just does this all on a more positive theme letting the customer come around to feeling he/she "needs" the bike, by making you feel part of a special group. It's not about the product as much as the perception. I actually like it.....I don't buy into it...but having spent so many years in sales and management..I can appreciate it. I guess that's why I'm an aircraft machinist now...machines are easier to get them to do what you want then people are :D

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was honestly shocked and had to read it twice. I'm glad I didn't have
to deal with that crap when I test road my 9. The salesman wheeled the
bike out the door, tossed me the key, told me to have fun and not wreck
it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
For you younger fella's....it's all about physiological marketing...and it's been going on en mass since the 50's. They sold cars,appliances,cigarettes and just about anything else the same way. I grew up around the car industry and you wouldn't believe back then what was taught and expected to sell cars. I could write a book...one dealer group used to teach it's salesmen to throw the customers keys on the building roof of the potential trade in after it was appraised :eek: This was to "help" the salesmen in convincing the customer he "had" to trade now because his keys were 'lost" :confused: A lot of "wearing down" techniques were also used to make it easier "just to buy the damned thing". Harley just does this all on a more positive theme letting the customer come around to feeling he/she "needs" the bike, by making you feel part of a special group. It's not about the product as much as the perception. I actually like it.....I don't buy into it...but having spent so many years in sales and management..I can appreciate it. I guess that's why I'm an aircraft machinist now...machines are easier to get them to do what you want then people are :D
:agree: You know, as pathetic as all that actually sounds, that is EXACTLY why Harley sells so many bikes. Its amazing how many Harley guys I meet from all over the place, different walks of life, different parts of the country, and all of them have this "harley is the only thing" mentality. I love my 9, but I also love my brother's Warrior...I am not goin around telling everybody that doesn't have a Suzuki that it's a subpar product...and that's exactly what most Harley guys do. As for Harley as a company, we can all make fun, but they're laughing all the way to the bank....this is demoing the product made into a science. I wish the company I worked for had it down like this....I would be makin a lot more money....that's for sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
:a20: That is so bad. DId you read the performance part of that manual. What a joke.

·
Registered
497 Posts
well that is a friggin Joke. But ill give the guys at my local HD dealer credit. When i went in and wanted to test drive a V-rod before i bought my 9. he took copy of my license. gave me key recommended afew nice twisty roads that were close bye and told me be back in 2 hours. Brought ity back in after about 20 mins. didnt like seating position uncomfortable. But very smooth riding, was suprised that it felt underpowered with all the hype about Them. Went an got my 9 the next day off I had.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I wonder how much they are paying the homeless doucher to walk by at the convience store and tell you " Nice Bike " What a lame joke, makes me want to ride one so someone would drool all over my test bike. :joke:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts