M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love everything about my M109R... that is, everything except for one. The power is great. The handling is great. The looks are beyond great.

But... that horrible shift from 1st to 2nd is STILL driving me nuckin' futs. Going on 2500 miles, and I still just can't get used to it. It does not seem to be improving much with more miles like I hoped it might.

I switched to synthetic after about 100 miles. I've adjusted the clutch cable every which way.

The thing that gets me the most is that it's so inconsistent. Sometimes, the shift will be as smooth as peanut butter. When that happens, it actually surprises me. About 80% of the time, it sounds like a frickin' Peterbilt.

When it has shifted well, I have tried to determine if it is related to clutch technique, engine speed, road speed, phase of the moon, or sunspot activity. ::) It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. Despite all, I just cannot find the sweet spot most of the time.

All other shifts in and out of every other gear is awesome. Given that, I can't figure out why 1st to 2nd sucks.

Has anyone actually got this figured out? I mean, REALLY figured out?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
khrome13 said:
It's not tied to rpms? I would think it would be...

khrome
Yes, you'd think so, wouldn't you? However, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, and as far as I can tell it's not.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I hear ya, I would like it to be smoother, but either way, I'm good with it.
In fact, I sometimes like the hard shift. This bike is evil, it's fast, it looks fast, it's unique, you can't just hop on it and ride it smoothly out of the gates (at least I didn't) because it takes a while for the rider to mesh with it and get used to how it rides best. It also has an aggressive ride. I like knowing that it has rough spots like first to second, because of all of the above features. When it hammers into second gear, it lets everyone around you know it, I think it adds to the appeal and image. Don't get me wrong, if it was smooth, I'd like it. I just think the shifting adds to the ride most of the time for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine slips in rather easily, of course I shift it there with athority but then again I am in love with this darn bike! There are soemtimes it doesn't want to go into 2nd but usually because I don't firmly shift it into gear. I have had a few other suzukis and they all were tempermental when shifting.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Funny how when I'm in the middle of nowhere, after taking off from a stop sign, first to second and not a hint of the metal cacophony I get when riding around downtown in front of hundreds of people. :swear: But seriously... I've seen people on the sidewalk turn their heads when I shift to see what the hell kinda machine made that noise - and then look toward the ground for the broken parts that must've fallen off as a result. :redfaced: Gonna go the Amsoil route in a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

BTW... I let a co-worker who owns a custom Harley (he put it together himself) ride my M the other day so I could get an idea of what the stock exhaust sounds like from a vantage point other than the seat. Kinda wimpy. :confused: The cool thing was when he got back from goosing it through three gears, he came back with a huge grin on his face and said "Ummm... it's a little faster than mine..." :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
For what it's worth have you tried pre-loading the shifter before you make the shift from 1-2 ?

My YZF600 had a really crappy 1-2 shift and I found that if I preloaded the shifter just a little brfore I pulled the clutch it all but eliminated the clunk. I use the same process on the 109 and for me it makes a world of difference.

You might want to give it a try:
1) Preload the shifter arm by pushing up just a little
2) Pull Clutch
3) Shift up 1-2

·
Registered
154 Posts
I find that if you let it just hit the rev limiter and slam it into 2nd with no clutch you don't hear a thing :evil:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Just did another 250 miles yesterday and I really don't remember any shift problems. I do need to adjust my brake peddle though so my right foot is more comfortable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lamonstar, Let me know what magic you use to get the brake pedal Allen screw loose. I can get a 1/4 turn on it that puts the wrench against the pipe but short if getting another bite on the wrench. Does not look like there is room to use a swivel on a ratchet either. I don't know that I want it adjusted it so bad I would pull the exhaust down :(

Thanks,
Blur
MN

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That shift from 1st to 2nd is mild compared to the C90 Boulevard - KaaaHHH-Chlunk!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
Funny how when I'm in the middle of nowhere, after taking off from a stop sign, first to second and not a hint of the metal cacophony I get when riding around downtown in front of hundreds of people. :swear: But seriously... I've seen people on the sidewalk turn their heads when I shift to see what the hell kinda machine made that noise - and then look toward the ground for the broken parts that must've fallen off as a result. :redfaced: Gonna go the Amsoil route in a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

BTW... I let a co-worker who owns a custom Harley (he put it together himself) ride my M the other day so I could get an idea of what the stock exhaust sounds like from a vantage point other than the seat. Kinda wimpy. :confused: The cool thing was when he got back from goosing it through three gears, he came back with a huge grin on his face and said "Ummm... it's a little faster than mine..." :D
I find it is tied ti hiow agressive I am. Around town "cruising" it is clunkier, if I am accelerating harder and shifting quicker it is better...
Think of it as the equivilent of "throttle tip in" that auto makers use to make their cars seem peppier. Suzuki wants the aggressive 1-2 shift...

Sledzep

·
Registered
535 Posts
I also have the 1 - 2 clunk. I agreee though that it kinda makes the bike though. What does bother me though, is the downshift when coming to a stop. Smooth as butter in the higher gears, but my 2nd to 1st shift rocks the damn bike, with the clutch held all the way in. :mad:
Bike has 100 miles on it and I just tried to adjust the cable at the bars last night. Did not seem to make any difference though. :read:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My buddy and I bought bikes the same day.. He got the C90. I got the 109. He says the same thing about his bike.. the shift from 1-2 is clunky.... mine too... but not all the time... The dealer says it is a "thing" with Suzuki's and it will not hurt the bike.. it just sounds bad.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Blur said:
Lamonstar, Let me know what magic you use to get the brake pedal Allen screw loose. I can get a 1/4 turn on it that puts the wrench against the pipe but short if getting another bite on the wrench. Does not look like there is room to use a swivel on a ratchet either. I don't know that I want it adjusted it so bad I would pull the exhaust down :(
Blur, did you try to remove the spring and push the pedal all the way forward? I believe that's what I had to do to get the allen wrench in for a second turn. I had to completely remove the bolt to get the pedal to come off the shaft to reposition it. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I find it is tied ti hiow agressive I am. Around town "cruising" it is clunkier, if I am accelerating harder and shifting quicker it is better...
Think of it as the equivilent of "throttle tip in" that auto makers use to make their cars seem peppier. Suzuki wants the aggressive 1-2 shift...

Sledzep
If you are hittin it hard you won't hear a thing! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks Trouble, Yeah I tried that, it made it closer but its just a hair from being enough. I guess next I could see if I can work the linkage somewhere to get a little more play.

Thanks,

Blur MN

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
sledzep01 said:
This has been my observation also. Hell, I'm just glad nothing is wrong with my bike because I just knew that rough sound couln't be good. I gotta say, I started out caressing it into gear. That's when I heard the most noise. Now, I'm passed the 1000 mile mark (after 2wks) and I let 'er rip. I use authority when shifting now and notice much less noise. I have even gone the route of not using the clutch when shifting (practicing for the friendly challenge I'm sure to encounter). So, that being said, just shift it like you're the boss. See if that helps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.