M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are very concerned about the bike falling over.Grand total was 1777.58 .They would like a list of people this happen to,and amount of damage.Even if it was running on not they want to know. If this happen to you are someone you know E mail me
at [email protected] thanks.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
What's the deal with this? My 109 shook itself off the stand the other day while idling in neutral. I'm used to HD stands that lock when the bike's weight is on it. Apparently my bike was on a very slight downward slope so when I cranked it to let it warm a bit while I donned my helmet, the bike shook enough to roll forward and fall over. Made me quite sick to my stomach. It broke the clutch handle at the manufactured weak spot, cracked my left turn signal, scraped the Boulevard badge (glad I didn't remove that...) and put a small scratch on the rear chrome fender strut. I can't believe Suzuki didn't design their sidestand any better than that. I haven't filed a claim on the damages mainly because the damages are to things that will eventually be replaced with customizing. I took my dremel tool to the clutch handle and rounded it down. Works fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Joshua_109 said:
Maybe a stupid question but, what does NATSA stand for?
You can do a search (don't forget to search) and find it. :D :D :D

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

For this threat may means "National Aeuronautic transportation stands atfoult" :D :D

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
WOW!! I thought I was the only person in the whole 109 world that bike shook itself off the kickstand. The result in damage was my clutch lever breaking off at the tip, which i quickly replaced and a scratch on the rear chrome fender molding. Needless to say I was sick. The clutch lever cost ed about 27 buck and wasn't hard to replace. The chrome piece, which everyone swears they can't see until i point it out was 200 bucks i think at the dealer. After hearing that i swear I can't see the scratch either. Just kidding I'll replace it later, it just too many other thing i want to do first.

T ROD

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
So does this mean that Suzuki knows there is possibly a design flaw, but are refusing to change it? I guess I'm just curious as to what benefit there is to e-mailing that guy. I feel sick about the damage my bike sustained in the fall, but I just chocked it up as one of those things. If it's happening to people on a regular basis, then there seems to be a problem that should be addressed. Why they don't use a sidestand design like HD is beyond me. I thought all bikes had that safety feature. I found out the opposite the hard way. Would be great if my bike was repaired sans cost.... like a warranty issue. So, back to my question, what is the benefit to e-mailing that guy?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Suzuki has known about this issue for a long time. At least 5 years, maybe longer. The other Boulevards have the same issue, and the Intruders and Maurauders before that. I have no idea why they won't change it. Doesn't seem like a tough thing to do.

Emailing the guy will help in that, if enough people complain and the DOT determines it is a safety issue, they will force Suzuki to change it in the future and may even force them to issue a recall.

If they find it's merely an incovenience or nuisance thing, they may send Suzuki a letter, but that'd be about it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Oh, cool.... or not cool that Suzuki has had this issue for that long. So, I guess writing my sob story to Suzuki is sure to fall upon deaf ears then, huh? I guess I'll be sending that guy an e-mail.... or three. I would love to get a recall, which would probably get my bike fixed, or at least prevent a future episode. I hate stepping off my bike worrying about whether or not it's gonna roll off again. Thanks for the info. Now I don't feel so alone.

Mike

·
Registered
686 Posts
There is a lot of benefit in having someone in federal DOT investigating.

Individuals emailing or writing to Suzuki, even if to their corp. HQ, will probably each reach a separate customer service person. Those people at Suzuki might or might not report it up the chain, probably not. If you get a reply, it will be a form reply. Most likely there is nothing done to track how big the issue is or how many people are affected unless something comes along to open their eyes (enter the DOT).

I'm not complaining about Suzuki specifically here, this is how nearly all companies work these days. Usually customer service people don't report such issues until they hear about it repeatedly. Yes, there are several people here that have reported it. However, I'm willing to be each of them reached a separate CS person. Also, for every one person that takes the time to report it to Suzuki, I'm betting there are at least 10 that procrastinate, think it must have been their fault, or just 'take their licks' and never bother reporting it.

With that in mind I would suggest that ALL M109R owners that have had ANY hint of this happening contact the guy at the DOT and outline the circumstances of your case specifically. It might help to point out that other manufacturers have designs to present this. If you have had another Boulevard that had a similar issue, please let them know this as well.

Nothing will be done unless you actually contact him to report it. Complaining on here won't ever get the ear of the DOT or Suzuki.

However, as a friend pointed out to me years ago, if you do say your peace, and then nothing happens, at least you have then earned your 'bitching rights'. You then can say you did what you could do to remedy the situation and you now have the right to complain all you want. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Things like this move like molasses in the dead of winter at the NHTSA. I own a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4X4. The upper ball joints have been failing prematurely on these trucks and Durangos since 1999 and it took several people rolling their trucks and/or careening into other vehicles for 5 years before they forced Daimler-Chrysler to do something (recall). So... maybe 3 or 4 years from now, after a few people and/or their children have been crushed by 700lbs of (sweet looking :D ) metal and plastic, there MIGHT be a recall notice sent out. I replaced all 4 ball joints myself before the recall and kept my reciepts. I was reimbursed for the uppers - parts only, since I did the work myself. By all means keep sending info to the NHTSA. They do keep records of every event.

·
Registered
600 Posts
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1 - 13 of 13 Posts