M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to ask a question about the way the gas gauge reads. I left for a ride yesterday and my gauge showed all but the last bar, which to me means what 7/8 tank. So I get on the I-10 to head to dinner out. We were going to go to a place called Mud Bugs....anyway.

About 15 miles into the run, I look down and my gas light is flashing, tank now showing empty.

Pull in...fill it up, takes 4.6 gallons.

I don't mean to sound stupid here, but this certainly doesn't seem normal to go from an indicated 7/8 to empty in like 20 miles.

Should I be wondering if I have a bad gas gauge?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine is not quite that bad, but my first bar definitely lasts the longest. Its good for almost 3/4 of my tank.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
It's not you. The gauge is worthless. Use the Trip and plan to start looking for fuel around 150 miles. Yes you can stretch it out to close to 200 depending on your riding style, but 150 is where I start to look at filling up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The gas gage can be pretty worthless, just set the trip everytime and learn what kind of miles you can put on in a tank. I live by my trip. 165-170 miles and the light comes on everytime.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Mine is rather consistant. Drops 1 bar at 80 miles, the next bar at 120, and the next at 160, which is when the light starts blinking. That is just normal riding. If I am cruising and no stops and starts add a few miles to each one. When the blinking light comes on it will take 4.1 to 4.2 gallons. Average is 40 MPG. The best thing to do is ride until it starts blinking then fill up. Note your mileage and how much fuel it takes to fill up. Then you will know what mileage you can safely go to. Every one of these bikes is different. Some will be nearly bone dry at 150 miles while others are not stopping until 200 miles. You just need to figure out where yours is and then use you trip odometer to gauge it accurately.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Pretty much this gauge reminds me of any airplane fuel gauge.

The FAA says they only need to be dead on accurate when the fuel tank is completely empty........:eek:

So yes, like the guys have been saying, you'd best start taking note of your fuel mileage at each fill-up and keeping an eye on miles ridden since your last stop and plan accordingly. I'm averaging about 35-39 mpg depending on the riding I'm doing, I try to fill up every 150 miles or so, give or take a few.

You'll figure your bike out soon enough.....it's just like dating a new person. Soon enough you'll have it's personality down to a T.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK we need to come up with a new gas gauge thingie.....kiddin.

My old C50 had a digital and it seemed to work fine.

The Magna, had no gas gauge, but a reserve position valve. You rode on main tank til it went out (about 110 miles), then go to reserve and find gas within 20, if not you were walking......:)

40MPG?! Shhheeesszzz this thing guzzles.

Yesterday at the restaurant, some older gentleman was looking at the bike when we came out. He of course was talking to my b/f since he was the one that he assumed was riding. He said I used to have a 1966 Harley something or other. Man that looks like a mud tire on that thing why is it so big? So as he is chatting away, I'm gearing up and quietly going about getting ready to ride, and as he is talking to my b/f I walked up and said "Excuse me sir". He watched me get on it, start it up and pull it out.

My b/f said he thinks the guy may have moved his bowels or something cuz he got this look on his face after he realized I was the rider. My b/f said he told him....that big ole mud tire makes her ride like a Cadillac. He said the old guy just sort of stood there with his jaw hanging open and didn't say anything at all as he got on his bike and we pulled out. My b/f said the last thing he said was....Don't worry mister things are way different these days.

It was kind of funny watching that old gentleman stand there holding the keys to his car in his hands....frozen.

·
Registered
735 Posts
OK we need to come up with a new gas gauge thingie.....kiddin.

My old C50 had a digital and it seemed to work fine.

The Magna, had no gas gauge, but a reserve position valve. You rode on main tank til it went out (about 110 miles), then go to reserve and find gas within 20, if not you were walking......:)

40MPG?! Shhheeesszzz this thing guzzles.

Yesterday at the restaurant, some older gentleman was looking at the bike when we came out. He of course was talking to my b/f since he was the one that he assumed was riding. He said I used to have a 1966 Harley something or other. Man that looks like a mud tire on that thing why is it so big? So as he is chatting away, I'm gearing up and quietly going about getting ready to ride, and as he is talking to my b/f I walked up and said "Excuse me sir". He watched me get on it, start it up and pull it out.

My b/f said he thinks the guy may have moved his bowels or something cuz he got this look on his face after he realized I was the rider. My b/f said he told him....that big ole mud tire makes her ride like a Cadillac. He said the old guy just sort of stood there with his jaw hanging open and didn't say anything at all as he got on his bike and we pulled out. My b/f said the last thing he said was....Don't worry mister things are way different these days.

It was kind of funny watching that old gentleman stand there holding the keys to his car in his hands....frozen.
Thats absolutely awesome:congrats:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Damn, I feel left out now, my gauge seems to work just fine, or at least consistent. I don't lose the first bar til about 90-100 miles, steadily drops til about 160, thats when it starts the flashing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You should be reading full bars until 90-100 miles. Another 50 to 75 miles, wouldn't push it past 80, and you are ready for a fill up.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 1st fuel bar last about 1/2 - 3/4 of tank then from there bars go down fast - really cant depend on mileage since I tend to run with a heavy trottle - all that power, really really fun bike. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
947 Posts
+1 on gas gauge being useless. Mine says full for about 90 miles then drops down real quick. I just know it's time to fill up when I have about 140 miles on the trip meter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Damn, I feel left out now, my gauge seems to work just fine, or at least consistent. I don't lose the first bar til about 90-100 miles, steadily drops til about 160, thats when it starts the flashing.
:agree: Same Here at Least it Flashes when Need the Motion Lotion :beer2:

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Mine is pretty consistent with what everybody's saying here. It bothered me for a while but I always zero my tripset anyway. So no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep mine drops the first one at about 100 miles then a bar every 20 miles after, so at about 160 it flashes. When it first flashes I still have a gallon left. I have gone 21 miles after and still only took 4.6 gallons, so I figure the first bar drops at 1/2 a tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The fuel warning light has to be the stupidest I have ever seen. With approximately 1 hr or so left of riding in the tank the low fuel light flashes (how annoying), then when there is only a little bit left in the tank the low fuel light stops flashing and is solid amber. I don't know about you but I don't like flashing lights while riding nor do I want to fill up just because it's getting a little low.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Now at least I know not to freak out when it jumps down to flashing all of a sudden.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just racking up the post count ;) But I'll concur with whats already been said.I pay more attention to the trip counter than the fuel gauge.

As far as it being THAT MUCH out of whack.....somethings up

·
Registered
108 Posts
Blondie thanks for asking this question. I thought my 9 just guzzled gas like crazy. Now I see it's not only me with the gas gauge issue.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts