M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to know what you all think !

Im contemplating putting on the saddle bags, windshield, and all, and doing a EURO TRIP. Shipping the bike over on a carrier, maybe me with it and exploring europe for 15-25 days.
From first to last country
Portugal - Spain - Italy - (Germany AUTOBAHN) - France - UK

I'm just curious what this would take, as far as costs for shipping the bike, how to legally ride it in other countries, PLATES/REGISTRATION etc etc.....

Ive always wanted to see Europe, and what better way than on my 9

I was contemplating it'd be around $5000.... US
Maybe Im underestimating ?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I want to know what you all think !

Im contemplating putting on the saddle bags, windshield, and all, and doing a EURO TRIP. Shipping the bike over on a carrier, maybe me with it and exploring europe for 15-25 days.
From first to last country
Portugal - Spain - Italy - (Germany AUTOBAHN) - France - UK

I'm just curious what this would take, as far as costs for shipping the bike, how to legally ride it in other countries, PLATES/REGISTRATION etc etc.....

Ive always wanted to see Europe, and what better way than on my 9

I was contemplating it'd be around $5000.... US
Maybe Im underestimating ?
umm a little.....but what do i know.....

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Logistically, I don't know how feasible it would be to ship your bike there for just a few weeks. While I don't believe that the price-tag to ship a motorcycle overseas will reach $1,000 (of course, this depending on the carrier and the chosen port of entry), I do know from experience, that some European countries are stricter than others when it comes to clearing vehicles coming from other countries and granting driving privileges to foreign individuals.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to check with "AAA" and inquire about acquiring an "International Drivers License" with a motorcycle endorsement. With that in hand, you can always find locations from where to rent a motorcycle and travel throughout Europe as you intended. With the exception of Portugal, I have either lived in or visited every other country you have listed as your intended destinations, and can tell you that you will not be disappointed.

As a side note, I have seen individuals not being allowed to step outside of the airport of a European country and being returned back to the United States due to a minimal technicality or a missing stamp. If you think there is a lot of "Bureaucracy" in our country then you have not seen anything yet. Do your homework and cover all your bases if you still decide on shipping your 9 and enjoy your trip.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Logistically, I don't know how feasible it would be to ship your bike there for just a few weeks. While I don't believe that the price-tag to ship a motorcycle overseas will reach $1,000 (of course, this depending on the carrier and the chosen port of entry), I do know from experience, that some European countries are stricter than others when it comes to clearing vehicles coming from other countries and granting driving privileges to foreign individuals.

In my opinion, your best bet would be to check with "AAA" and inquire about acquiring an "International Drivers License" with a motorcycle endorsement. With that in hand, you can always find locations from where to rent a motorcycle and travel throughout Europe as you intended. With the exception of Portugal, I have either lived in or visited every other country you have listed as your intended destinations, and can tell you that you will not be disappointed.

As a side note, I have seen individuals not being allowed to step outside of the airport of a European country and being returned back to the United States due to a minimal technicality or a missing stamp. If you think there is a lot of "Bureaucracy" in our country then you have not seen anything yet. Do your homework and cover all your bases if you still decide on shipping your 9 and enjoy your trip.
Thats what I was thinking... About 2 grand round trip on a boat.
And yeah, I wouldnt wanna get there and sent home....
Good advice on the AAA intl license, that might work.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I read an article in my local paper a few weeks ago about some journalists doing a trip around Ireland dubbed 50 pints in 50 pubs.

These guys rented bikes but meet a guy from Minnesota who shipped his goldwing trike over and it cost him $2000 for shipping and another $2000 for intl insurance.

Way better to rent then ship it. I couldn't find the article in my paper but I did find the same article in the paper from Edmonton.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/travel/easy+ride+around+Ireland/3153074/story.html

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's not going to cost you that much for the shipment of the bike.
It should be between $ 1,000 to $ 1,400 round trip.
Europe is (for the great part) more expensive than US.
So if you plan to have only $ 3,500 in your pocket, make sure you bring your tent and sleeping bag.
Depending on how much driving you want to do, and if you want to stick to all of the countries that you listed, good portion of your money will go just on the gas.
And yes, you are good to go with AAA International drivers license.
Also be prepared for different kind of riding than in US.
Good luck !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I sexed up your wife last night. I made her scream louder than a ducati bouncing off the rev limiter.

Now can I be on your list?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
For $5000 you better stay in hostels, and eat ramen noodles. The Euro isn't as strong as it was while I was there but the exchange rate will still hurt your bottom line. On average a bargain hotel will run 100 euro (about $150) a night, an average meal will cost 20 euro and if you want a beer add another 5 to that. Even the littlest things add up like not having free refills on soft drinks, then there are tons of toll roads in most European countries except Germany. If I were you the best way to travel Europe is by train and just backpack. Those were my most memorable times, getting off a train grabbing a beer and wandering around and finding a place to stay.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For $5000 you better stay in hostels, and eat ramen noodles. The Euro isn't as strong as it was while I was there but the exchange rate will still hurt your bottom line. On average a bargain hotel will run 100 euro (about $150) a night, an average meal will cost 20 euro and if you want a beer add another 5 to that. Even the littlest things add up like not having free refills on soft drinks, then there are tons of toll roads in most European countries except Germany. If I were you the best way to travel Europe is by train and just backpack. Those were my most memorable times, getting off a train grabbing a beer and wandering around and finding a place to stay.
were you staying in luxury resorts...
I heard hostels were $20 euro

and about that exchange rate,,,thats whatll really kill u

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
were you staying in luxury resorts...
I heard hostels were $20 euro

and about that exchange rate,,,thats whatll really kill u
That is why I said you would want to stay at a hostel because they are as cheap as 15 euro a night, the hotels aren't exactly cheap. I didn't stay in hole-in-the-wall joints, but not the Hilton either. When I had to travel the best places besides hostels are called gasthaus' or gasthof's. They are similar to a B&B usually run by a single family and have a great breakfast included, they usually ran in the 50-70 euro area.

I still stand by my opinion that the most effective way to travel Europe is the train, so that would save you the shipping on your bike. $5000 should be enough as long as you don't blow 700 euro in one evening on drinks and nightlife (I have seen it happen) Just check this site out for ticket prices.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/euro...tsche-bahn-fares-better-than-rail-agents.html

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I still stand by my opinion that the most effective way to travel Europe is the train, so that would save you the shipping on your bike.
Of course, you always have "RyanAir" and their 20 euro flight fares, although I believe they jack you with the taxes and other fees, but it is still a pretty cheap and expedient way to travel around Europe:bigthumbsup:.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Of course, you always have "RyanAir" and their 20 euro flight fares, although I believe they jack you with the taxes and other fees, but it is still a pretty cheap and expedient way to travel around Europe:bigthumbsup:.
I never used Ryanair, just my Denali, beater BMW, or the train. But I had friends that used RyanAir and didn't have much to say about it except it was "cheap" and they had to share a seat with a goat and a smelly Turk (not sure which one smelled worse).

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have nothing to add to this thread, but can I be added to your H8T3 list? PLEASE?!?!?!
sorry but those are earned spots...
I sexed up your wife last night. I made her scream louder than a ducati bouncing off the rev limiter.

Now can I be on your list?
umm... isn't he gay?

I'd retract that comment if I were you, just because it's his wife that doesn't mean it's a female:joke::joke:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts