M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read about enough of all the crap about the clutch and transmition, here it is in plain English, It seems allot of owners have been ridding their machines as they have with their old machines please read this as it may be NEW for most seasoned riders and definitely for new riders. This may not apply to everyone.

PLEASE read,Small owners manual that comes with the bike, look in ridding tips, then look under using the transmission, then under shifting down schedule, read carefully, I understand this as no down shifting from second to first, but simply to DISENGAGE the clutch when the motorcycle speed drops below 12 miles/h or 20km/h, doing this will take some practice and may change the way you operate your bike but it is quite clear in the manual they don't want you to use down shifting to slow the bike down, it is quite clear they want you to brake before down shifting and once your road speed is down then down shift to match your speed but not into first, I have fallowed this to the letter and I only use first to get started and yes I really work at riding the M as they write it, this new habit has taken awhile to get used to but it was easy to do once I had it in my head to ride the low gears like an old 3/4 tone 4x4. Up shifting is a whole diffrent ball game and is the most fun and high rpm up-shifting doesn't have any cautions in the manual except for the brake in time.

Anyone who just bought this bike please save yourself the trouble and all the millions of questions and complaints of this clutch/transmission. Read and do. You will have a aw some problem free bike for many years, my goal is to keep my bike in good shape for 20 years, so we shall see. Good luck

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
wow, quite a mouthful for your first post. That is the way I shift mine and have since day one. You simply cannot downshift into first unless you're doing 5mph or less IMO. Locked up the rear wheel a couple of times the first few days and learned this quick. Sometimes I don't even shift down to 2nd, just clutch in and break below 25mph.

·
Registered
128 Posts
:pop:  If all us gear heads would just read the instructions the world would be a better place.   :joke:  I appreciate the input biker-chicky.  Welcome to the board.  The "supposed" demons we are fighting are actually much worse than just shifting correctly.  Given the attitude in your first post it should be fun having you around.

·
Registered
443 Posts
t0rch75 said:
:pop: If all us gear heads would just read the instructions the world would be a better place.  :joke: I appreciate the input biker-chicky. Welcome to the board. The "supposed" demons we are fighting are actually much worse than just shifting correctly. Given the attitude in your first post it should be fun having you around.
YEAHHHH!! , what he said!! Welcome aboard :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
My first week on the beast almost tossed me over the bars because I downshifted just a tad too soon into 1st. shoot I do it all the time on the 800 Intruder...(it doesn't like it much either..haha). But I'm re-learning and so far no problems...except my jaws ache from the rush I get from snickin UP the gears. Welcome Biker-Chicky...race ya to 20 years! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Ride safe...Ride Far

Devilish

·
Registered
514 Posts
Gosh using suck words on you first post like "crap"..... are you really a biker-chicky

opps, where id that pink verdana font come from??

:clap2:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I have been shifting like that (the way the manual says) and have had no problem.  In fact if I shift to 1st before I'm going slow enough I can hear the trans churning even with the clutch disengaged.  Nice post. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I downshift all the time and have had no transmission problems whatsoever. However, I rarely use 1st gear except during some hi-speed takeoffs!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hi Biker chick, Its actually all my fault. When everyone learned I smoked my clutch with "improper burnout technique" (search it)
and told everyone I would get a clutch for free it blew their collective minds. Especially the clutch/shift/freebee area of the brain.
They just could not wrap their minds around a FREE CLUTCH. Well, they are a resourceful bunch. And like the little engine that could, they tried and tried. Some were successful in frying their clutch (great with lemon) and a few were even successful at getting a free one (almost as good as free beer) If you are not aware that is like getting all 3 rings on the same bottle at the fair....

I still cant "really" smoke my rear tire.... but I downshift like I was riding YOUR bike. Yes that includes the d,d,d,d,d,d,d,VROOOOOMMMM of shifting to first gear too soon. I love it. Sometimes I even get a little sideways at the entrance to turns when I hit second (great ride Jazzman)
Yes I know DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER

Please continue to shift as the manual says. I believe 5th gear comes at around 40MPH. And remember to never make any mods, and always by parts and stuff from your dealer exclusively because they are the closest to the people that wrote the manual and must be the most knowledgeable about the bike.

And Don't run with scissors
And Always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident (post pics here so we can be sure)
And
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Slim, da, do, da, do...

Sledzep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts