M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all, I had the day of due to my cold and so went outside to see what I could do with my time, I noticed when I installed the airhorn this past couple of days I still had half of that tie spanner I bought at Home Depot, I drilled a couple holes, remounted the plate light and Voila!! Side Mounted!!

at night no flash, just bike lights on (so you can see the plate light at work :bigthumbsup:)

I do not know anything about wiring, mechanics etc, BUT given enough time, :bigthumbsup: you can McGyver anything.
This Tie Spanner cost me 89 cents, and HALF of it I used to fabricate a mount for the air horn, the other half was going into the trash bin, but I had a day off and a drill :)

If anyone needs more info, just PM me. Cheers.

P.S. The Plate light was re-routed and works so no probs with the cops! I Removed the LEFT side reflector and mounted eveything there since all I had to do was drill the existing holes out a bit bigger to accomodate the new screws, the wiring I routed UP under the cowling and zip-tied it to a bolt.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Re: The 89 cent Sidemounted plate

Hey man, I'm not sure but from the angle of the photo, you better be sure the inspection sticker part doesn't contact the hub when your rear compresses from weight and bumps.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Re: The 89 cent Sidemounted plate

got more pictures????........well I just bought a side mount from direct line for $60.00.....so maybe I dont want to know how easy that was......looks good from from that one pic though :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
RubenAlonzo said:
Yup I thought of that too, but I used my wife to two-up and no probs at all with rubbing.
Just curious, but did you actually go riding with your wife, or just sit her and you both on the bike to see how the fit was? The stock suspension has 4.7 inches of travel in the rear, so if there isn't at least that much distance from the tag to the hub, you are asking for trouble. Remember, the bikes rear suspension will travel the most over large dips in the road as well as when leaning hard in a curve... especially if you hit an uneven spot in the road.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Medic1210 said:
Just curious, but did you actually go riding with your wife, or just sit her and you both on the bike to see how the fit was? The stock suspension has 4.7 inches of travel in the rear, so if there isn't at least that much distance from the tag to the hub, you are asking for trouble. Remember, the bikes rear suspension will travel the most over large dips in the road as well as when leaning hard in a curve... especially if you hit an uneven spot in the road.
After I got done, I was outta smokes, so I suggested we two up to the Circle-K and I was curious myself as well. We live out on Mines Road, and this part of town is riddled by big rigs going to the bridge and so there are spots where the road has HOLES in it and really bad bumps/ridges/whatnot, My wife weighs (and I will KILL YOU if you tell her I told you) on the southern end of 200lbs and we encountered NO rubbing at all. I have a 2007 model, and my buddy Doug has a 2006 (btw he sends his thanks Botlfed for the air mod, he loves it) and his FEELS lower to me but we have not taken measurements. I am NOT posting this in the hopes of selling this mod, I leave that to the pro's like Hal and Lamont, Blkm109r etc, I merely wanted to post what i thought was a CHEAP way to do what many of us wanted to.

As far as durability of the 'design' ? Well that remains to be seen, but so far as I know, the mod is SAFE with no rubbing at all.

I sell paint, I don't know chips about engineering or mechanics or whatnot, BUT I was damned proud of myself for having figured this out. Cheers :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Still might want to take a measurement or two, just to prevent any issues. If there is any less than 4.7" between the inspection sticker and the hub, it's not a matter of 'if', but rather 'when' you're gonna rub. Is there a way to re-mount the inspection sticker plate to the "new" bottom of the tag?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Medic1210 said:
Still might want to take a measurement or two, just to prevent any issues. If there is any less than 4.7" between the inspection sticker and the hub, it's not a matter of 'if', but rather 'when' you're gonna rub. Is there a way to re-mount the inspection sticker plate to the "new" bottom of the tag?
Actually I didn't know what the heck I was doing til I started, but I am going to clean it up really good this coming saturday, maybe either sawzall the inspection off and rebolt it or maybe zip-bag it and keep it under the seat, or just get the bike re-inspected and have it placed on the fork or maybe inside next to where the steering lock is.

Sorry, all I had to work with was just a drill, the stock from showroom license plate holder, half of a cheap piece of metal for 'fabrication' (if you can call bending the damned thing back-and-forth really quick to break it, fabricating)

Jesse James/Paul Jr. Eat your HEARTS out :D

·
Registered
629 Posts
:dontknow: This is a $1.00 plate sidemount. Done in the garage, from a guy who selfadmittidly has no clue. No Offence.
You don't like or trust it don't do it. But ragging on the guy about every last 1\1000 of an inch just isn't called for. ::)

Once again just my .02
thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
RubenAlonzo said:
After I got done, I was outta smokes, so I suggested we two up to the Circle-K and I was curious myself as well. We live out on Mines Road, and this part of town is riddled by big rigs going to the bridge and so there are spots where the road has HOLES in it and really bad bumps/ridges/whatnot, My wife weighs (and I will KILL YOU if you tell her I told you) on the southern end of 200lbs and we encountered NO rubbing at all. I have a 2007 model, and my buddy Doug has a 2006 (btw he sends his thanks Botlfed for the air mod, he loves it) and his FEELS lower to me but we have not taken measurements. I am NOT posting this in the hopes of selling this mod, I leave that to the pro's like Hal and Lamont, Blkm109r etc, I merely wanted to post what i thought was a CHEAP way to do what many of us wanted to.

As far as durability of the 'design' ? Well that remains to be seen, but so far as I know, the mod is SAFE with no rubbing at all.

I sell paint, I don't know chips about engineering or mechanics or whatnot, BUT I was damned proud of myself for having figured this out. Cheers :bigthumbsup:
Ya did good and you'll even do better things when it comes to future mods..... having your first "home run" does feel great :) :) :) :)..... and remember "necessity is the mother of invention" :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Animal said:
:dontknow: This is a $1.00 plate sidemount. Done in the garage, from a guy who selfadmittidly has no clue. No Offence.
You don't like or trust it don't do it. But ragging on the guy about every last 1\1000 of an inch just isn't called for. ::)

Once again just my .02
thanks
+1 :cop: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
It's his bike,and he did it himself! If he's happy with it,that's all that matters! I think it's great for his FIRST attempt to do a mod to his bike. As far as clearance,just grab the bracket,and bend it towards the back a little if ya think it's going to hit the rear diff. NO BRAINIER :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Animal said:
You don't like or trust it don't do it. But ragging on the guy about every last 1\1000 of an inch just isn't called for. ::)

Once again just my .02
thanks
Hey bud, take a chill pill and get off your soap box. Nobody is ragging anybody. I was just trying to prevent him from damaging the finish on his hub. Sheesh. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks good, I see where you still have the stock rear turn signals, but the picture is too dark to tell what you did with the stock rear flap that originally held the license plate. Any chance you could update the picture in daylight so we could see? Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts