M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does the dealer do on the 600-mile service? Is this just an expensive oil change?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If they do it correctly there is a whole checklist of stuff including the rear end fluid, alot of re torquing etc. my tech spent 4 hours doing mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Now Bob's is an example of incorrectly... all dealerships are different . I am lucky to have a small shop that runs a racing team and has a primo technician.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Prior to my 600 mile service I covered all exposed bolt heads with the plastic chrome caps. Not one of those caps was disturbed during the service which indicates to me that the Stealer never torqued a bolt, other than the drain plugs if that.

On every cycle I've owned, my first purchase after the bike is the Service Manuel. I ordered that from my dealer four weeks ago and I'm still waiting to receive it. When I get that in hand, my first chore will be to go over the entire bike with my torque wrench after removing all the bolt caps.

As I perform all my own work to include tire changes and balancing, and my dealer has a $58.50 shop rate, I figure my savings add up rather quickly.

I just received a coupon from my dealer service manager for a free filter and oil on my next visit......unfortunately they want $129.00 service charge for that visit. Grant you that's a $40.00 savings over the 600 mile service. I just purchased a Dunnie 250/40-R18 for $120.97.....I think I'll buy another with the $129.00 savings :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
talk about not trusting the stealers.....i went to adjust the handlebar ..bring it up some and the top bolts on the clamps were tight and when i got to the bottom ones ...they were completely loose to were i loseen then up with my fingers...hows that for trusting stealer mechanics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seabee68 said:
talk about not trusting the stealers.....i went to adjust the handlebar ..bring it up some and the top bolts on the clamps were tight and when i got to the bottom ones ...they were completely loose to were i loseen then up with my fingers...hows that for trusting stealer mechanics.
When I got my bike home, the two bolts that lock the front axle in place were loose. Noticed this after I took it for a spin. Then of course, after 400 miles on the clock, the overfilled crankcase made itself known. Anyone know a a reputable dealer in Orange County, CA?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Shop spent 2 hours putting on Cobra Pipes, spent 1 hour going through Oil Change Proceedure. Shop Tech Showed the protocol to me, there was so many start for 15 min, turn off for 3 min, check oil, restart for 4 min, turn off for 6 min, drain Oil......It made me dizzy, Tech told me he had a 2 hour class just to change the oil.. He spent soo much time changing oil, I never saw him do anything else.

·
Registered
817 Posts
They are also supposed to check throttle sync at the 600 mile service. That is probably the only thing a regular person couldn't do on their own, as you do need the proper dual vacuum gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts