M109 Rider Forums banner
481 - 500 of 535 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Wow...this is still number 1 mod since 2011...guess I haven't missed much...lol
Yeah, LOL. I've got a 2006 with 28,000 miles, still got the original motor mounts and no intention of changing them any time soon. Rode her 100 miles today, Ran awesome. Don't know what changed, but throttle response was, WOW!!!!! Must have been the cool air going into the LA Choppers intake. Couldn't even get the motor temperature over 180 in that 100 miles. It was 62 degrees today while I was riding.

Haven't had one single shudder event the entire year, since I decided to keep the oil level over 4.5 quarts.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Been awhile since I've been able to ride since I got the new rear tire in November 2016.

·
Registered
4 Posts
... but I did not think that the rear mounts could be so worn already after 21000 miles ???
My odometer shows the 21000 mils, but is it true or no? - I don't no, because in the same time I change a rear and front pads, fork seal and dust cover that become covered with cracks. All of parts and motor mounts also is a suzuki oem from plant. And there united worn must going to ... 40000 or 80000 miles may be.:-\
I am the third owner and simply may be somebody somewhere something little twist. :agree:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
First of all you will need two of the harder rear motor mounts. They are part #11652-10G30
I ordered mine from here and they were about $14 dollars each. That was the cheapest I could find and these folks gave great service:
http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/

You will also need two jacks....motorcycle and a one like this to lift/support the motor:

Now on to the stuff you must take off. You have to take all the radiator cowling stuff off. So the tank comes back and I took off the side covers as well:

Next you have to remove both of the footpeg brackets(2 bolts on each side) and the brake pedal. I didn't remove my shifter.....just sort of left it dangling but I did support it:

To remove the brake pedal, you have to remove this bolt:

The spring comes off as well. When you take the pedal off, there is a rubber O-ring that you don't need to lose. It probably will come off, just remember where it goes and put a thin coat of grease on it when you reinstall. Grease the brake lever shaft, too.

Remove this as well. It more of less just presses down into it's holder. There is a spring which you have to take off as well:

Next you need to remove the cover in front of the rear master cylinder....two bolts:

Ok....now you need to remove the rear brake fluid reservoir, so you can get at the bolts for the frame. I took the whole bracket off to make more room. I also disconnected my horn because I was pulling the radiator forward and the horn was holding it back:

Now.....I would take the bolts out of the radiator.....two at the top and one at the bottom. This will allow it to move forward and give you room to get behind it. This is what the right side of the bike will be looking like. This is CBR1000's pic. It also shows the two bolts in the frame out......don't do that YET!

Now get your one ton jack and support the motor.....we're getting to the good part. No pics of this but it has to go under the front part behind the oil filter.

Take out the long bolt between the front mounts, and the spacer.

Now the section of frame can be removed with 6 bolts. Slide out the old mounts (bushings), use dish soap or silicone grease (not oil, it degrades the rubber), and slide in the new ones with the spacer between them. These are the bolts that come out to remove the frame section.....there are two under the exhaust, two right behind the rear brake reservoir, and two on the shifter side right behind the radiator. In my picture, you can only see one of the bolts behind the brake reservoir....look at CBR1000s pic above to see both:

*****When you are removing these bolts, when you get down to the last bolt to come out....aka bolt 6 of 6.....it may be hard to get out. I had to screw it out all the way...all the others just pulled right out. I was worried that there was excess weight causing it to be in a bind and was expecting the worst when I pulled it out. Don't freak....the jack has got the motor. When Lucky helped a guy do his last week, he said the bolt did the same on that bike, too. So expect it.

Picture of old mount out:

The one ton jack will be a big help in lining everything up for the install. Also, if you can have an extra set of hands, I had Lucky, it will make this much easier.

Once the new ones are in, reinstall in the reverse order. I used blue loc-tite on all my stuff.
I like this how too thread, I'm looking for a smoother ride. Hmmm if I'm at 55,430 km how much over am I ? I'll post my old mounts once there out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vegas Meet May 17-24, 2017! Let's bet on a great time!
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321882

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Yeah, LOL. I've got a 2006 with 28,000 miles, still got the original motor mounts and no intention of changing them any time soon. Rode her 100 miles today, Ran awesome. Don't know what changed, but throttle response was, WOW!!!!! Must have been the cool air going into the LA Choppers intake. Couldn't even get the motor temperature over 180 in that 100 miles. It was 62 degrees today while I was riding.

Haven't had one single shudder event the entire year, since I decided to keep the oil level over 4.5 quarts.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Been awhile since I've been able to ride since I got the new rear tire in November 2016.
Well, it's been awhile, how are they looking now, or did you change them already?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Well, it's been awhile, how are they looking now, or did you change them already?

Nope, and not planning on doing it either. I've had no problems with my bike. No vibrations I don't like and no shifting problems. So I'm just going to leave it as is. That's my take, change yours if you want to. Not saying not to.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Nope, and not planning on doing it either. I've had no problems with my bike. No vibrations I don't like and no shifting problems. So I'm just going to leave it as is. That's my take, change yours if you want to. Not saying not to.
Thanks for the up date, ya I've got some painful vibration, it's okay for short rides. I've been doing long marathon rides last year and it's painful after a few hours.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I looked mine over today. Mounts look good, gap between the chrome engine covers is even from top-to-bottom. I mean, the perfect gap. Doesn't vary one iota, checked it with a pair of calipers. Oil pan does not dip below the frame rails even the slightest little bit.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I looked mine over today. Mounts look good, gap between the chrome engine covers is even from top-to-bottom. I mean, the perfect gap. Doesn't vary one iota, checked it with a pair of calipers. Oil pan does not dip below the frame rails even the slightest little bit.
Awe, that's great! You are very kind to your monster!

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Awe, that's great! You are very kind to your monster!

Had to look while everything is apart. Expected the worst, but was surprised that none of the symptoms exist on my 11 year old bike. Don't know why, I am not easy on her. I thrash her like a red headed step child. She just takes it in stride and says "give me some more".

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Had to look while everything is apart. Expected the worst, but was surprised that none of the symptoms exist on my 11 year old bike. Don't know why, I am not easy on her. I thrash her like a red headed step child. She just takes it in stride and says "give me some more".

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't remember if someone changed also the 4 rear mounts? Any difference?

I'm at 44 K miles now and I'm going to have them all 6 replaced at the next service in 3 K miles - I changed the 2 front mounts at 15 K miles in 2013, it made a huge difference :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I don't remember if someone changed also the 4 rear mounts? Any difference?

I'm at 44 K miles now and I'm going to have them all 6 replaced at the next service in 3 K miles - I changed the 2 front mounts at 15 K miles in 2013, it made a huge difference :bigthumbsup:
We're doing both our 9s all 6 mounts, hubby went ahead and ordered the 6 harder OEM mounts, we'll save the old ones, as I realy want scorps mounts, I'll send scorp the cores from hubby's bike so he'll have them to make mine. Hubby can have the OEM ones. I'll post a tone of pics for you all. It may take some time as hubby realy doesn't like working on his days off, I'll have to help as mush as I can as well, this will keep things moving along. Hubby has 24,000 -ish km and his are way worse than mine and I have 55,430km on my 9 both are 2006 models.

Will you be doing the service on your own or the dealer? Our dealer and the one I use in Everett USA did not have a quote for the service to change the mounts, they don't have it in their system as a maintenance problem! I told our dealer and the dealer in I'd send him that French PDF file, it's on here as post number 425, or 475 it's got great pictures, and I can use google translate copy past to figure out the text. In the future they may have it in the system? Please let me know if your dealer, if using, gives you a quote.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on the road tonight but after a close inspection when I get home tomorrow, I have a feeling this will be first mod on my 06 w/25k on odo. I'm a newbie M109R rider although not a newbie rider. Just turned 60 and riding since I was 12. I used to ride a Vulcan 2000 (Darkside even) for quite a few years and, after trading it away, I really missed that V2K power soooooo bad. I decided to jump on a deal for this NineR with some big accessory $$ spent on it. Only $3500 with 2 sets of aftermarket pipes and brand new tires. Lowered already, although the pipes are too low for right turns now....
I'll be gleaning this forum for things to make it better for the next year, I'm sure. I've already experienced the clutch shudder. Probably do both at same time if I can afford it.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Gotta love this kind of power though, and respect it too.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I am on the road tonight but after a close inspection when I get home tomorrow, I have a feeling this will be first mod on my 06 w/25k on odo. I'm a newbie M109R rider although not a newbie rider. Just turned 60 and riding since I was 12. I used to ride a Vulcan 2000 (Darkside even) for quite a few years and, after trading it away, I really missed that V2K power soooooo bad. I decided to jump on a deal for this NineR with some big accessory $$ spent on it. Only $3500 with 2 sets of aftermarket pipes and brand new tires. Lowered already, although the pipes are too low for right turns now....
I'll be gleaning this forum for things to make it better for the next year, I'm sure. I've already experienced the clutch shudder. Probably do both at same time if I can afford it.
View attachment 354313
Gotta love this kind of power though, and respect it too.
$3500.....Man you got a good deal. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,298 Posts

I thought so too. Can't wait to get a couple things finished so it is more roadworthy.
BTW, do you know a lot of riders in the Okanagan valley? I know some people around there. Carlos and Tracy Ferrari? I think they have a medical supply business in Osoyoos?

Hi, I think I may know them but have not seen them in awhile. There are quite few riders here I ride with. And three other 9 ERs, one who works way to much! Lol

Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

481 - 500 of 535 Posts