M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We pretty much got everything done that we could. We designed some new wheels and hubs for the 109 and we spent two very long days getting the first hub bolted up and in place. I had hoped that I would be leaving here with a 280 on my bike but we ran into a few issues that needed to be worked out first. We solved those but to do it right we need to build a new hub with the new mods to make it a finished product. I can tell you that this was no easy job and all your measurements have to be dead on or it ain't going to work. The wheel has a ton of room in the swingarm but it isn't centered in the swingarm. as it is now we have about two and a half credit card space between the swingarm and the wheel on the left side. :eek:

The wheel looks great on the bike and now that I have the 240 back on it really looks small. The 280 just looks like it was made for the bike. One of the last things we did was to come up with a very innovative way of installing this wheel. At first we tried to fish it in like we do on a VTX with the rearend loose and mounted on the hub and then stabbing the driveshaft into the diff. There were two problems with that. The first was the driveshaft on a 109 has a seal and clip that has to come off on the diff. side so you can't do it like you can on the VTX. If you pull the driveshaft out on the u-joint side you have another problem. There is no way you are going to stab that driveshaft back into the u-joint with a big ol wheel and hub mounted to the diff. As a matter of fact it is a nightmare trying to stab that driveshaft back into the u-joint with the wheel completely off. I fought that for I don't know how long and thought I got it but found out when I went to leave last night that I must have missed it. We got the bike all together and I went to leave and put it in gear and you could here the u-joint bouncing around in the swingarm. :redfaced: :realmad: By that time I was pretty much done with playing with motorcycles and I'm going to load the bike up now and fix it when I get back home. ::)

I have a lot of great pictures and a lot to tell you about the other stuff we are doing but I'll wait till I get back and do it right. My laptop won't read my camera and the only picture I have is one I took with my phone and it's not that great. :confused: I will say that this was a lot of fun even with all the problems and I can't wait for the finish product. You guys are going to love it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Re: That's wh they call it prototype

Can't wait for the photo's and rest of the updates. Lamont, your a "craftsman" :) :) :) :)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

bob109 said:
Can't wait for the photo's and rest of the updates. Lamont, your a "craftsman" :) :) :) :)
Thanks but to give credit where credit is due it was Rob that did all the machine work and he did a fantastic job. Wait till you see what it takes to make a hub like this, it will blow you away. :eek:

We are using all the stock cush drive, bearings and seals so if you ever have a issue you will be able to buy stock parts to do the repair. By the way these are very stange bearings. They look like a sealed bearing on one side but are open on the other side. ::) We may change that to a sealed bearing but the sizes will be the same so you can still repace it with stock if you needed to. 8)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Lamonster said:
Thanks but to give credit where credit is due it was Rob that did all the machine work and he did a fantastic job. Wait till you see what it takes to make a hub like this, it will blow you away. :eek:

We are using all the stock cush drive, bearings and seals so if you ever have a issue you will be able to buy stock parts to do the repair. By the way these are very stange bearings. They look like a sealed bearing on one side but are open on the other side. ::) We may change that to a sealed bearing but the sizes will be the same so you can still repace it with stock if you needed to. 8)
That is excellent engineering and "forward thinking" on the bearings. Is the cushion drive similar to the 1800 VTX wheel hub???

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

bob109 said:
That is excellent engineering and "forward thinking" on the bearings. Is the cushion drive similar to the 1800 VTX wheel hub???
It's a lot bigger than a VTX and there are 8 pins. The drive is a lot bigger than a VTX but it is shallow compaired to a VTX. The good thing is that you don't have to move the wheel to the right that far to get it off of the splines, the bad thing is that the cush drive and the spline drive is so big that we can't do a smaller hub like our Superhub. ::)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
thanks to you and rob, lamont. lookin great!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Lamonster said:
It's a lot bigger than a VTX and there are 8 pins. The drive is a lot bigger than a VTX but it is shallow compaired to a VTX. The good thing is that you don't have to move the wheel to the right that far to get it off of the splines, the bad thing is that the cush drive and the spline drive is so big that we can't do a smaller hub like our Superhub. ::)
You definitely have your work cut out for you! I did notice that the 109 doesn't have a removable dust shield/ring like the X. Is that a feature which hampers wheel fit??

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

bob109 said:
You definitely have your work cut out for you! I did notice that the 109 doesn't have a removable dust shield/ring like the X. Is that a feature which hampers wheel fit??
The problem is on a VTX you can pull the shaft out of the diff side without pulling a seal and clip. The VTX just has that little ring and spring. The 109 is pretty much locked up on the diff side so stabbing it in on the u-joint side ain't happening. :confused:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Lamonster said:
We pretty much got everything done that we could. We designed some new wheels and hubs for the 109 and we spent two very long days getting the first hub bolted up and in place. I had hoped that I would be leaving here with a 280 on my bike but we ran into a few issues that needed to be worked out first. We solved those but to do it right we need to build a new hub with the new mods to make it a finished product. I can tell you that this was no easy job and all your measurements have to be dead on or it ain't going to work. The wheel has a ton of room in the swingarm but it isn't centered in the swingarm. as it is now we have about two and a half credit card space between the swingarm and the wheel on the left side. :eek:

The wheel looks great on the bike and now that I have the 240 back on it really looks small. The 280 just looks like it was made for the bike. One of the last things we did was to come up with a very innovative way of installing this wheel. At first we tried to fish it in like we do on a VTX with the rearend loose and mounted on the hub and then stabbing the driveshaft into the diff. There were two problems with that. The first was the driveshaft on a 109 has a seal and clip that has to come off on the diff. side so you can't do it like you can on the VTX. If you pull the driveshaft out on the u-joint side you have another problem. There is no way you are going to stab that driveshaft back into the u-joint with a big ol wheel and hub mounted to the diff. As a matter of fact it is a nightmare trying to stab that driveshaft back into the u-joint with the wheel completely off. I fought that for I don't know how long and thought I got it but found out when I went to leave last night that I must have missed it. We got the bike all together and I went to leave and put it in gear and you could here the u-joint bouncing around in the swingarm. :redfaced: :realmad: By that time I was pretty much done with playing with motorcycles and I'm going to load the bike up now and fix it when I get back home. ::)

I have a lot of great pictures and a lot to tell you about the other stuff we are doing but I'll wait till I get back and do it right. My laptop won't read my camera and the only picture I have is one I took with my phone and it's not that great. :confused: I will say that this was a lot of fun even with all the problems and I can't wait for the finish product. You guys are going to love it. :bigthumbsup:

You're right. It looks killer. Can't wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

Lamonster said:
The problem is on a VTX you can pull the shaft out of the diff side without pulling a seal and clip. The VTX just has that little ring and spring. The 109 is pretty much locked up on the diff side so stabbing it in on the u-joint side ain't happening. :confused:
Got ya! I understand the ramifications the seal and clip are presenting! The X was a breeze when it came to removing and re-installing the shaft. At least there was some adequate room within the shaft tube on the X to manipulate the shaft splines into place. Just a male to female fit with a little twist.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts