M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Guys, I just took bike my out for a qiuck check for the riding season. Just went down the block and I have this awful scheeching sound coming from the rear brake. Sounds like the pad s are eating the rotor. The rotor is hot to the touch and I didn't even go a quarter mile down the road. I checked to see if the pistons move in and out while pressing the brake pedal by hand and they seem to be moving. I replaced the brake pads myself about 200 miles before putting the beast up for the winter. I used OEM(expensive stealer pads). I'm ready to ride and pissed. Anyone have any idea what I'm over looking? Man this is bike week in VA Beach too. This sucks. HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPP! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
grab the rotor and see if it's loose. Had mine replaced twice before I got the updated rotor. It doesn't hurt anything, just annoying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'll be damned.... Just checked the rotor and you guys our dead on, it's loose alright. Now, the real test is to see if my extended warranty will cover the replacement. Hey, besides being annoying can I still ride this weekend? Maybe, I'll try to avoid using the rear brake. Thanks a MILLION fellow 9rs. :bigthumbsup: Man, this board is th absolute best. What's the updated rotor????

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
I have a friend who has a 2006 with a loose rear brake rotor. His squealed for a short time, then stopped. It has not squealed for some two years now. He refuses to fix it, and his one year warranty is long up. He is like me anyhow, neither of us are what you would call heavy back brake users. There usually good for a skid if you use them heavily. In the 35 years I have been riding, I have never had to change back brake pads. Fronts constantly, backs never.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You "should" be safe for the weekend but I'd try to get it replaced as soon as possible. Don't let them give you the "it's a floating rotor" b.s. either. It is true that it's a floating rotor, but the amount of movement is minimal. If yours is squealing, it's seeing more movement than normal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The "Scheeeecher" has a part number with a ********-30. The new non "scheeeeecher" is a *******-50
A 109 buddy had that problem also and was 1 year past waranty and Suzuki replaced it free.
The forum posted a pic of one cracking around the steel rivets a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Well I'll be damned.... Just checked the rotor and you guys our dead on, it's loose alright. Now, the real test is to see if my extended warranty will cover the replacement. Hey, besides being annoying can I still ride this weekend? Maybe, I'll try to avoid using the rear brake. Thanks a MILLION fellow 9rs. :bigthumbsup: Man, this board is th absolute best. What's the updated rotor????
I rode mine for months like that. Don't sweat it, it's just annoying. Get it replace when it's convenient for you.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Just to let you know there are quite a few here that have fixed the loose rotor and have had no problems since. They took a socket from a ratchet set (make sure it's the right size to fit over the rivet) take a hammer and bang down a few good shots and the rotor will be tight again. Don't get crazy because there should be a little play. It does work and it last. This of course is only after Suzuki tells you to go chit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine was really bad for a while and then it comes and goes1 What seems to work for me is when it does screeech, I just step on the rear brake really hard. locking it up a few times and it shuts it for a while!:dontknow:
Works for me!
Might try that socket idea that lostrider mentioned!
Juice109

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the positive information. I'll call the dealer tomorrow. It's steal under warranty and I'm fortunate to have a good dealer. Thanks a Million. You guys are the Bomb!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts