M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see this bike has a forum. Looks like a good group with valuable information. I've been lurking and reading much of your posts the past week. I have an itch to get something new. I have been riding for ~35yr now. Bikes have been a big part of my life most of the time, other times I have gone a few years without much riding. But, always have one in the garage. I've been a Honda fan most of the time, specifically the v-four engine. I've had several Magnas, an VFR, and an ST1300. As they have come an gone, the 87 magna has stuck with me for over 20yrs. Probably won't ever part ways with her.

Anyways, life has been in the way and I haven't rode much for the past 5-6 year. This year my oldest son,32, decided he wanted to get into riding. He took the course and I helped him find a bike he liked, VTX1300C. He has me back in the groove and we are having a great time riding. It's also fun just helping him explore the options and mods and helping him understand all the ins and outs. With my bike sitting so long, I've had to go through it and change fluids, tires, brakes... Fortunately, nothing other than regular maintenance. Knowing the age of this bike and very limited availability of parts, I am looking at adding another bike to the stable.

I've never owned a v-twin, mostly thought of them as loud and slow without any performance to them. Looks like I was wrong. I'm not against any style of riding or manufacture. My riding style is far from parade riding, but not close to knee draggin and riding wheelies. I love to push it into the corners and accelerate out hard. Hit 90-100 every now and again, but mostly stay under 80. So, my search has lead me to this beast of a bike, the m109r. I have never seen one in person. The reviews and videos all seem to tick my boxes. It has looks, power, and performance. And it is still in production.

I am considering a drive to look at 2 different bikes. One is a 2014 with 700 miles on it. How does that happen??? The other is a 2019 with 5k on it. The '14 is pretty much stock black and yellow. The '19 is red and black with freedom performance sharp curve exhaust. I am leaning toward the '19, but not sure about that exhaust. Seems like it is a bit obnoxious from what I've watched and read. I was thinking the Hard Krome VPR short would be the route to take. The bikes are $2k different in price. Anything particular to watch out for when shopping for this bike?

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I like the black/red color combo of the 19 myself. The VPR is a good choice, but if you're really concerned about noise you might want to consider the long version of it. Neither is obnoxious, but the long keeps more of the sound behind you.

My wife had a 1982 V45 Magna for a few years and it was a really good bike. I honestly don't remember why we got rid of it, unless we just hit a down cycle in riding.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
I've only been around a couple with Bassani pipes on them, and they are OK. The way the tips are pointed down, they do blow up a lot of dust if there is any on the road. The bike itself looks good. with a lot of nice mods Interesting how they turned the right side air intake towards the rear so they could use it. Those spike intakes won't work without some mods because of the crash bars they have on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to see the 2017 in the video I posted. Unless there is something obviously not right with it, I will be bringing her home. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a place to get a matte black derky cover that matches the engine? I don't want graphics or milled script. The one on it is out of place. I assume the one on the right side is just held on with double sided tape.

I don't care much for engine guards and will remove them along with the speakers. Once they are gone, I assume I can flip the spike intake back around. Are replacement filters easy to find for this intake? Is there a concern for water getting in the intake if you ride in the rain?

Anything in particular I should look for when I test ride?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am going to see the 2017 in the video I posted. Unless there is something obviously not right with it, I will be bringing her home. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a place to get a matte black derky cover that matches the engine? I don't want graphics or milled script. The one on it is out of place. I assume the one on the right side is just held on with double sided tape.

I don't care much for engine guards and will remove them along with the speakers. Once they are gone, I assume I can flip the spike intake back around. Are replacement filters easy to find for this intake? Is there a concern for water getting in the intake if you ride in the rain?

Anything in particular I should look for when I test ride?
I had the stock derby cover powder coated with black anthracite in satin finish, and also the bolts that hold it on. Matches the engine pretty good and looks stock. Only cost about $15 to do and cheaper than the ebay covers.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flip the filter to point forward, that's the way they were designed anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had the stock derby cover powder coated with black anthracite in satin finish, and also the bolts that hold it on. Matches the engine pretty good and looks stock. Only cost about $15 to do and cheaper than the ebay covers.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to flip the filter to point forward, that's the way they were designed anyway.
I thought it was a custom cover, but looking at the pictures closer, I believe both side are just decals. I like the powder coat idea. Simple and effective.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
The derby cover actually attaches with 3 screws. Some covers have 6 screws on the outside but only 3 attach it to the bike. As far as the intakes, once the guards are gone they will fit when flipped around. They only turned them backwards because of the guards. Rain isn't a problem with them either, unless you drop it in a puddle. :)

Replacements are easy to find on ebay or Amazon. Once you get it you can measure the diameter you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 2 - Getting to know you.

I thought it had a PC5 on it, but its just a PC fuel controller. I've never dealt with one of these. Anyone have suggestions? It smells really rich. I connected to the FC and it looks like it has a decent map on it. 2-2 with Baron intake. But, the low, mid, and high controls were turned up 6 levels. Each level is a 10% increase. From what I've read, the maps are set to be used with the levels at zero. I adjusted them all down to zero and it idles better. Mostly, the decel is smoother where before it kinda hung and then stuttered and popped. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Only put 10 miles on it yesterday.

I removed the engine guards and the speaker system. Then flipped the right side intake so that it points forward. Unfortunately, one of the plastic speaker housings has melted to the exhaust heat shield. Hope that comes off easily without affecting the finish.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
Not sure what kind of controller you have. Is it the older Power Commander 3, or the Cobra fuel tuner or something similar with the 3 pots on it?
Acetone will dissolve most hard plastics, but I'm not sure what it would do to the finish on the exhausts. I don't know if they use a ceramic, powder coat, or just high temp paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a Power Commander Fuel Controller. You can load pc maps and it has 3 pots. Sounds similar to the Cobra unit.
Circuit component Rectangle Font Electronics accessory Logo

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
I've never seen one of those, thanks for posting it. That would be a good option for those that want to run nitrous, since you can select between maps on the fly.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,716 Posts
Speaking of NO2. any one got pics of their tank location???
I don't have any pictures, but there are two locations commonly used. One is to strap the tank to a crash guard, the other is a bracket that fastens to the rear grab handles and a tank mounts to it. One of the members that was on here had two NO2 tanks mounted on his, one on each side mounted to the grab handles. The bike was done up in a military them and the two tanks were painted to look like rockets. Kind of corny and neat at the same time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts