M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good way to remove the ugly warning sticker and 90 octane sticker off of the fuel tank without damaging the paint?

G

·
I've taken stickers off 5 past bikes, I use a hairdryer and a plastic credit card to scrape off the goo.
I've never had a problem, untill this bike. The clearcoat that they put on is way too thin, and afterwards I saw fine scratches on the tank.
I have been able to buff them out, I just dont know why Suzuki did such a shoddy job on the paint.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I took mine off just the other day. Major PITA! The bottom sticker came off better, but not even close to one full piece. The plastic coating separated. The bottom sticker was more of a plastic type which if handled gently, would peel off pretty good without leaving residue. The top sticker was another story. I tried going slow. The clear top coat peeled away from the sticky part, which left me picking, and rubbing alcohol swabs on the goo. I tried leaving it in the sun, but apparently the sun wasn't very hot that day.

Now, onto the Boulevard badges. I stared at them for an hour, contemplating removing them. I finally decided to do it, mainly because the left one was damaged in my "bike-vibrated-off-the-stand" incident. I tried the fishing line trick I saw mentioned. All that did was leave a small layer of foam stuck to the tank. It took just as much time and effort to remove as the other side where I just yanked the badge off, leaving the entire foam piece. That $hi+ sticks like nothing I've ever messed with. It was so hard to get off. I tried alcohol, 409 kitchen spray, and pure elbow grease. Ultimately it was the elbow grease that got the junk off. I rubbed my finger on the foam until most of the foam rolled off. This left a very sticky coating on the tank. THen I used alcohol swabs again. Wouldn't remove the tacky residue. Finally, I just used a dry microfibre detailing cloth (lintless like a handkerchief) and rubbed the sticky residue like mad. It removed the residue and I was relieved to see that absolutely no scratches, mars, or swirl marks were left behind. If only these and the tank stickers peeled off as easily as the Suzuki sticker on the tail....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Peeled the plastic part off. Did not have any goo off stuff so used my wifes finger nail polish remover to remove the sticky stuff. Right after that buffed them out and can't even tale they were there. 8)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used a heating pad set on high, left it on the tank for a couple of hours and started pickin. Sticker came off in one piece. Used WD-40 for little that was left....was going to do the sun thing but the clouds rolled in.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Man I wish I had read this thread beforehand I did it rooster style, peck peck peck Thank God I had the day off. (and that with 2 full cans of WD40 in the garage)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am not sure if this is a good method, but I used a plastic card for most the the tag. I then used a rag dipped in gasoline. The goo wiped right off in seconds. Used a dry rag to polish and wipe any remaining residue.

·
Registered
317 Posts
sounds like you all did a lot of work. after a ride in the hot sun i just pealed mine right off and then wiped off what little marks there were with spray polish.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Used a hair dryer and a piece of fishing line. Got it nice a warm then sawed the fishing line back and forth until I could get my fingers under it and it pulled right off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts