M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Care to give a link showing where to get it? If it's the one from OneidaSuzuki, then there are many threads on that one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Will the tank bras screw up the paint over time? I know its supposed to help protect the paint, however, it may rub and over time reduce the clear coat. Any thoughts?
They do look sharp. Thanks for sharing. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Yes, more details please. I don't care for the one Suzuki makes and I have been looking for a tank bra. One with a pocket would be a bonus.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The only concern I would have with using one is the fact that they would be prone to scoop up dust and dirt while riding which will most definitely scratch the paint. You would need to clean under it very regularly to preserve the paint.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it from the local Yamaha dealer, but I can't seem to find a pic of it on line. The part number on my invoice is STR-4YV49-02-00, tank panel, narrow-plain. I searched a yamaha accessory catalog and found that part number, but it doesn't match what I have.

I went to the dealer last week just to nose around. They were slow so one of the sales guys and I took a few different ones outside and tried some on.

Yes, eventually a tank panel will mess up the paint finish, but not if put a clear piece of adhesive acetate on first, like the kind somebody here is selling as an entire paint protection kit.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i have the one suzuki makes, it fits fine, was getting a little rubbing action, from the seat. :bigthumbsup: :doorag: and that one does look sweet!

·
Registered
600 Posts
chester said:
Will the tank bras screw up the paint over time? I know its supposed to help protect the paint, however, it may rub and over time reduce the clear coat. Any thoughts?
They do look sharp. Thanks for sharing. :bigthumbsup:
It's better than having nothing on it. I'm less than pleased with the clearcoat Suzuki is applying to the M :mad: Seems they whiz the parts through the paint booth and call it "good" if they're slightly dusted with clear. I'll be sporting a fresh paint job next spring, for sure :hot:

G

·
I did a little checking, that is the model number for the 98-99 Yamaha V-star Classic Tank Panel. I believe they came in Plain and studded. Their newer ones come with a felt backing. Not sure about this one. Normally, yamaha's leather products are pretty decent. I did a google search on this model number and found them around $55. on up. Thanks for the tip bro. Little bigger picture would be great if you don't mind.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hellrazr72 said:
How bout some closer pics...maybe different angles too? Looks hot!! Thanks!!
I'll see what I can do later today.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some better pics of the new tank bra:

Plus a larger version of the original:

I forgot to mention, the yamaha dealer did have a studded version, but it just didn't look right on this bike.

G

·
Thanks bro for the pictures. No one will post that banner "This thread is useless without pictures" on this post. Those are some great pictures. That looks good. I only wish it had a pocket on it. I am looking to break up the solidness of the tank and that does it very nicely, but a pocket on that would be nice. I may get it anyway and have a local guy put a pocket on it. Thank you again for the pictures and your time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bruno said:
I only wish it had a pocket on it. I am looking to break up the solidness of the tank and that does it very nicely, but a pocket on that would be nice. I may get it anyway and have a local guy put a pocket on it. Thank you again for the pictures and your time.
They had some with pockets too....Just FYI.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Maybe stupid question, but what are these really for??? I mean I never touch my tank or get scratches in the middle... I understand something protecting right where the seat meets the tank, But I rellay don't get the concept for leather all the way up to the speedo...

Enlighten me will ya :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Spankster said:
Maybe stupid question, but what are these really for??? I mean I never touch my tank or get scratches in the middle... I understand something protecting right where the seat meets the tank, But I rellay don't get the concept for leather all the way up to the speedo...Â

The same reason for chrome.... cause it looks good :bigthumbsup: :D

G

·
I dug out my Yamaha catalog and found that it is available 4 ways:
plain as shown in the above pictures
Studded, but same shape
Wider than shown with a pocket
Wider with a pocket and studs
All have a suede backing material for paint protection
Price varies depending on model you choose
The model # given in this post is for the V-star 650 so if you head off to your Yamaha dealer you would need to look at the catalog for the different V-star 650 models to get the exact part number.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Spankster said:
Maybe stupid question, but what are these really for??? I mean I never touch my tank or get scratches in the middle... I understand something protecting right where the seat meets the tank, But I rellay don't get the concept for leather all the way up to the speedo...

It's an M109 T-back

1 - 20 of 29 Posts