M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering, all you guys using the tank bra does it scratch the tank or leave lines? and how much of a PITA is it to take off every time you wash.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I had one on mine for maybe a week. First time I filled the tank up with it on, the tank burped out some fuel and it went right under the bra. It took me 10 minutes sitting at the pump using windshield cleaning towels to sop up the fuel from under it. And even in that short period of time it was collecting dust under the leading edge of it.

I cut it up and used it as a cover for my home made backrest.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Must be the reason I like the silver! I have used a tank bra practically since it was new, and yes have had fuel burp underneath it as well. My tank shows not one single scratch or dis-coloration due to its use.

I also modified mine to make it easier to install and remove. I cut the loop that goes around the front of the tank in half. I then took one of those small bungie cords and cut off the hooks on the end. I put a hook on each end of the cut loop, and fastened them using black heat-shrink tubing. Drilled a small 1/8th hole in the backside of the shroud to attach the hook to.

Voila, no more hastling with that fF---ing loop that goes around the front of the tank. Did the same on the tank bra for Sandy's M50.

BTW, her bike is blue and also shows no deterioration from almost constant use of the tank bra since 2006.

GET SOME GOOD WAX!

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a good question actually coz I was wondering the same thing.

Went away for the weekend with the club and all the rocks and dust got under my tank bag and scratched the hell out of my tank :doh:

Any ideas guys?

If I dont put a tank bra on what do you suggest??

Cheers

Serb

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is a good question actually coz I was wondering the same thing.

Went away for the weekend with the club and all the rocks and dust got under my tank bag and scratched the hell out of my tank :doh:

Any ideas guys?

If I dont put a tank bra on what do you suggest??

Cheers

Serb
I have a buddy of mine that has a sports car and he had a detail shop put on some sort of clear laminate sheets on the front of the hood and fenders. You can't even see it unless you look very hard at the edges. I know they were made custom for the car, but I wonder if anyone has tried this on a bike? Would probably need alot of patience and a steady hand with a heat gun to get all of those curves though, not to mention bubbles.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Get JD Mitchell to get you one of his surplus in country back packs. They are great for camping and will hold up to 125 lbs. You can even pack your tent, sleeping bag and mat, rifle and ammo, MRE's in it. Leaves both hands free for Waving at Harleys.
Bob

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Tank BRA, not tank BAG. Both look ridiculous to me anyway and I can't think of a better way to scratch up a tank

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I just reinstalled my tank bra back on my bike. Personally I like it. I don't go down dirt roads so I'm not sure how "rocks" are going to get under it. I put a good wax coat on the entire tank first to give it a protective layer, then I put the bra on.

I have a small tank bag that I like to use and by putting it over the tank bra it protects the tank. Also to alot of guys get scratches on their tank in that area because of their jacket zippers, key chains, or anything else that comes in contact with it. So the bra can protect against that.

The bra is a little hard to put on at first out of the box. But once it has been out in the sun and has formed to the tank I can get it off in under 30 seconds.

If you use one I would take if off from time to time and keep a good wax coat over the tank and reinstall. Everything on a motorcycle requires some maintance and this is just another one of those things.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My 9 is red, and it does have some small scratches and some discoloration. I think if you clean and wax the part of the tank that it covers, it will be okay.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I've had mine since day one. Belt buckles leave much bigger scratches then the tank bra does. It does get fine dust and dirt along the felt edge that will scratch if left there too long. I usually just lift it and blow a little air along the edge to keep it clean.
Removing it to wash is not a bunch of fun, but it's not THAT bad either. one screw.
I usually polish under the bra at least monthly and that takes most little scratches out and keeps others from starting.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Had mine for nearly three years. I check from time to time. No discoloration. No scratches. Maybe my region has dust thats not as abrasive as some. I wax there too. No complaints

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The main reason im kinda leaning away from the bra is that I live on a dirt road. Its a pain just to keep the bike clean. I could imagine all the dirt that would get under the bra. Whats your guys thoughts? Should I, or Shouldn't I?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I make custom tank bras and use a very fine felt to protect the tank but I highly reccomend using 3m film under the bra, I never got any scratches, etc.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The main reason im kinda leaning away from the bra is that I live on a dirt road. Its a pain just to keep the bike clean. I could imagine all the dirt that would get under the bra. Whats your guys thoughts? Should I, or Shouldn't I?
Ah. Now that might make a difference. Dirt roads suck when you own a streetbike.

Why are you even considering one? For looks? To put a tankbag on top of it? Oh yeah it was a gift. If you live on a dusty dirt road I'd say it will be too much hassle & maintenance and you'll probably get some scratches over time. If it wasn't for that you wouldn't have any trouble as long as you follow some of the comments of other riders that have them on.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I have used mine for about 2 years. The tank bra gives the paint less abuse than the jeans, or chaps that I wear when riding. Just like a car, take it off and clean the bra and the paint about every 2 weeks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Same thing here.....I put a coat of wax on before installing the tank bra.
Just like purvistechie said, it's a little annoying to remove it for a wash but since it's only held on by one screw it's not too bad. I only do a full soap & water wash on the bike about once a month now, between washes I just do a wipe down with spray cleaner so removal of the bra is not necessary.

I had some scratches on my tank from belt buckles / zippers and the bra does a great job of covering them up as well as preventing further damage.
Plus....it really looks pretty sweet on my black 9...and not just my opinion, I get compliments on it from others as well.

The tank bra functions exactly as it is supposed to and requires a small amount of maintenance. The only real issue is personal preference if you like the look or not, personally I think it looks very cool!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Give it to your S.O., it'll probably look better on her

·
Registered
226 Posts
Now that I read all of this I think I will b getting one.

Where do you put the 3m film??Where the edge of the tank bra is supposed to go?

Wouldnt that look a bit funny if you end up taking it off for some show??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts