M109 Rider Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried turning the baffles around and I really didn't see a big difference in the noise so I turned mine around and added a washer with a bolt welded to it and that helped a bunch. If I want more noise I just rotate the washer so it open's up. So far I took a short ride with it like this and I like it much better. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good idea. I spoke to Cobra about this and they said they were designed to be as loud as they are. The guy told me to try wrapping the baffles in fiberglass. Does this mod sound tinny or any undesirable effects? I would be willing to try it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Great idea but wont that restrict the airflow?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from a ride and life is good again. The power is still great but the sound is much better now. My neighbors are waving to be again instead of flipping me off. :bigthumbsup:

The sound is not as deep now but still much better than stock. If I want to tune it more all I have to do is loosen the nut and move the washer where I want it and then tighten back up again. :doorag:

I'm heading to Americade next week and they are noise Nazi's there so this will be great. I've heard they will pull you over and try and put the end of their baton in your pipes and if it's open it's a automatic ticket. :verymad: Now they will hit the washer. 8) I'll turn it the other way for Bike Week. :doorag:

So after my test ride I would say this is worth doing without any ill effects. Go for it. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Lamonster said:
I tried turning the baffles around and I really didn't see a big difference in the noise so I turned mine around and added a washer with a bolt welded to it and that helped a bunch. If I want more noise I just rotate the washer so it open's up. So far I took a short ride with it like this and I like it much better. :bigthumbsup:

Monster them pipes changing yet (COLOR) I mean.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hd2plze said:
Monster them pipes changing yet (COLOR) I mean.
Not at all they look great. I just got back from another ride and I love these pipes now with this mod. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
346 Posts
These pipes have full length bolt on heat shields, so they should not discolor. Maybe the actual pipes under the heatshields though.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J R said:
:redfaced: :redfaced: :redfaced: Lamont what are you doing sliding the baffle in and then sliding the washer up in there and putting the nut on the outside of the pipe ? I know it ain't sliding in like that and I'm sure I'm having a brain fart hear but :redfaced: Wha???? I get the whole deal weld the washer and why and all that but whats the deal with sliding the baffles in and how are you holding them in or sliding them in with the bolt? I thought about making some different end caps outta billet and drilling different size holes or putting a notch in the end caps where i could put different washeres with different ID for different sound ???
That nut was just for the picture, it goes on the outside of the pipe. I just slide the baffle in and line it up best I can and then I grab the bolt with a pair of long needle nose and get the bolt so it's riding at a angle in the hole I drilled in the baffle. Then I just keep pushing the baffle in till the bolt hits the hole and it should slide right in. Then you hold the bolt where you want it and tighten down the nut. Call me if you like 423-422-7883

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lamonster said:
I'm heading to Americade next week and they are noise Nazi's there so this will be great. I've heard they will pull you over and try and put the end of their baton in your pipes and if it's open it's a automatic ticket. :verymad: Now they will hit the washer. 8) I'll turn it the other way for Bike Week. :doorag:
Interesting. I'd like to try this theory in reality and in court. My reasoning: I have the Cruiser Magic 2 Nasty Twin slip-on pipes on my 800 Intruder. Their 'new' design that I have, puts the baffle about 3 or 4 inches from the connecting joint to the exhaust pipe and they run about 12 inches long. Being as the slip-ons are 36" long, you can stick an entire cop nightstick/baton up there...and you won't hit anything.

However, I'd be happy to let the pipes cool down for the police, (well, mostly for me) and remove one so the can see the baffle in the middle of the pipe. It's not a 'stock' pipe, but it is exactly as I purchased it from the after market company.

I'd also file a suit against the police department after proving I do have a baffle for harrassment because I don't have something their 'baton' can hit, and would point out I could put a 'washer on a bolt' to let their baton hit something that wasn't a baffle.

I appreciate officers doing their job. I detest officers with power trips.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamont:

Not sure if you can recall a product called the "Power Baffle" which was mentioned and used by some of our brothers on the VTX sight. The product consisted of three different lengths of pipe baffle which were "necked down" in the center portion of the pipe and were not serrated. In theory the restriction created some back pressure and took the harshness from many of the aftermarket straight pipes. They were a direct replacement for existing baffles and also provided a positive stop when a kind officer tried to insert a night stick.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wildwolf said:
Interesting. I'd like to try this theory in reality and in court. My reasoning: I have the Cruiser Magic 2 Nasty Twin slip-on pipes on my 800 Intruder. Their 'new' design that I have, puts the baffle about 3 or 4 inches from the connecting joint to the exhaust pipe and they run about 12 inches long. Being as the slip-ons are 36" long, you can stick an entire cop nightstick/baton up there...and you won't hit anything.

However, I'd be happy to let the pipes cool down for the police, (well, mostly for me) and remove one so the can see the baffle in the middle of the pipe. It's not a 'stock' pipe, but it is exactly as I purchased it from the after market company.

I'd also file a suit against the police department after proving I do have a baffle for harrassment because I don't have something their 'baton' can hit, and would point out I could put a 'washer on a bolt' to let their baton hit something that wasn't a baffle.

I appreciate officers doing their job. I detest officers with power trips.
I think they do it more because they don't know what is stock and what is not. In most states it is illegal to alter your stock pipes in anyway, aftermarket or other wise. ::)

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bob109 said:
Lamont:

Not sure if you can recall a product called the "Power Baffle" which was mentioned and used by some of our brothers on the VTX sight. The product consisted of three different lengths of pipe baffle which were "necked down" in the center portion of the pipe and were not serrated. In theory the restriction created some back pressure and took the harshness from many of the aftermarket straight pipes. They were a direct replacement for existing baffles and also provided a positive stop when a kind officer tried to insert a night stick.
This is another product I found on the VTX site (after I did mine ;) ) that pretty much does the same thing. :doorag:
http://www.sturgisthunderpipeworks.com/photogallery.htm

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a week at Americade with noise Nazis everywhere and a 900 mile trip home I can say with confidence that this mod gives you the best of both worlds. :bigthumbsup: Just enough noise to sound good and if I want to get really loud I just turn the washer. :doorag:

·
Registered
74 Posts
the baffles improve low end, which they do. They may drop top hp but torque will go up. the sound is deep, it does not seem as loud as with baffles out but tone is as deep. I am going to dyno tommorrow. I like the baffles, you can also cut you old ones in halve and put them behind the other one and it will be real quiet. The install instructions Say put baffles in a minimum of 3 inches we have 3.5 with the cobras.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Lamont, That is an old trick the boys with Honda 305/350 scramplers would do. They would remove there muffler which connected to/sliped over the end of the pipes and have straight through exhaust. Really sweet as I recall but loud! There was a manufacter who made these kits to do place int there pipes just as you did! It was quite effective. :doorag:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.