M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the manual says 3.8 quarts. I got such a complete drain rocking it back and forth, it took 4.3 quarts to hit full on the stick. That and maybe that K&N filter has more capacity than stock?

And yes I did the oil check procedure to a "T".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Manual says 3.8 qts, the little sticker they put by the dipstick says 3400 ml (3.59 qts according to the online conversion calculator I used). I don't think anyone really knows. Certainly not Zuk. I've certainly never gotten 4.3 qts out, even with changing out the filter and rocking it repeatedly. Not even the first time I changed it after it's initial filling by the stealer. Mine ususally takes right around 3.5 qts...get me right up to the "full" line, using the official Zuk method...complete with dancing over the pile of chicken bones and goats blood.:bigthumbsup::joke:

·
Registered
198 Posts
That doesnt sound right at all man....

I would be very careful putting in more than the manual says is max. Go easy on her for a while and dont be surprised if she pukes on you!

-Nate

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never gotten that much out, even with changing out the filter and rocking it repeatedly. Not even the first time I changed it after it's initial filling by the stealer. Mine ususally takes right around 3.5 qts...get me right up to the "full" line, using the official Zuk method...complete with dancing over the pile of chicken bones and goats blood.:bigthumbsup::joke:
Yeah, not sure what I did, but the stick don't lie (least I hope it don't!)............

I understand, dry, the engine takes 5 qts.

·
Registered
202 Posts

I would be very careful putting in more than the manual says is max. Go easy on her for a while and dont be surprised if she pukes on you!

-Nate
i agree. i'd be interested in hearing if it pukes or not. hope it doesn't.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

-Nate
I'm with ya! Some guys on here are putting in 4 quarts, I got 0.3 quarts over them then. We shall see........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, not sure what I did, but the stick don't lie (least I hope it don't!)............

I understand, dry, the engine takes 5 qts.
I'm sure the stick indicates that it's not overfilled...I don't think you're blind. But that's not the problem...the problem is Zuk designed a bike which requires a ludicrously complicated and time consuming sequence of manipulations to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. As complicated as it is, I'm inclined to think that each bike will respond a bit differently to said manipulations. A routine oil level check that should be Neanderthal in it's simplicity, instead requires a team of NASA engineers to do properly. I hope she doesn't puke on you, but I suspect that it's a bit overfilled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after dv's post, did another 15/3 check. Looked ok, so I took it out for a 30 mile round trip to the gym. No puking, well at least none that I can see.

How does this puking manifest itself?

I absolutely abhor oil changes on this thing.........

Will be monitoring it the next two days or so.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, after dv's post, did another 15/3 check. Looked ok, so I took it out for a 30 mile round trip to the gym. No puking, well at least none that I can see.

After my first Stealership oil change, it took almost 500 miles before it started puking. But it did eventually puke...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After my first Stealership oil change, it took almost 500 miles before it started puking. But it did eventually puke...
Ok. Took the left air cleaner off just now. Looks great. Will be monitoring as I said............... ugh.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I did it myself to the book and no puking, but the stealership sure made it puke. Such a weird design and strange timeframe involved for checking it. I was really concerned with it the first time, now its really no big deal. You'll get it figured out! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts

It could take a while, man. I did an oil change with another board member back at the end of May. We did it per the service manual, eventually putting a total of 3.6 qts back in (supposed to be 3.8 w/ filter change). I put 1,000 miles on the bike over June and July, and thought I finally had the puke resolved. Went on a ride in the first week of August and it started to puke. Then every time I rode it became worse, to the point that when I let it idle on the driveway to open the garage, I came back to pull it in and it was dripping straight down all over the derby cover.

The only thing I can attribute it to was a high rev in 3rd gear (about 5000-5500 rpm). I normally don't do that ever, but was trying to keep my position on our group ride as the fool behind me on a FZ1 was trying to overtake me. And I know this is exactly when it started puking because I had been checking the bottom of the air cover maybe every 10 minutes with my hand for those first 1,000 miles after the oil change we did in May.

I hope you have better luck than I did.....just keep in mind it may take longer than a few rides for it to act up on you, if it does at all.

I did an oil change last week, went to Mobil 1 10W-40 Synthetic, maybe I will have better results than the Honda 10W-40 dino oil I was running. :pray:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used the Honda oil last oil change, and I'll never use it again! I'm hearing alot more engine noise, and have had a few clutch "issues" (different thread altogether) but I'm going back to Suzuki oil, or might try Amsoil.
We'll see, but good luck with your puking!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The last 3 oil changes I have put in 4 QTS. No problem what so ever. I have 19,000 miles and have never had any puking.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
In my experience, extended periods of higher RPM (75 to 85 MPH) on hotter days will get your bike to puke if it's going to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had the first service oil change done at the dealer.

The mechanic works on a lot of 109's and said he usually changes the filter, fills with 3400 ml of oil, does the check, then adds a little more as needed. He was well aware of the oil puking situation, and said this was how he always does it and never had one puke oil.

On the downside, they said that the drain of the rear primary was not needed at 600 miles, just a waste of time, so I am thinking that I will need to do this on my own. no telling if the rear drive gears need fresh oil, but no harm in making sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I ended up dropping a 1/4 to 1/2 quart anyway. After trying to put my left air cleaner back on after service, there is no f'n way I want to take it off again anytime soon. Not enough snorkel and not enough drain tube to work with, so hard to get that thing on, in relation to where my hard mounts are on the jug. May be just my bike, but it was just ridiculous spending 2 hours to get the damn left air cleaner back on. Great bike to ride, but in my little experience so far in 3K miles, a [email protected] bitch to work on. Just ridiculous.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Too much worrying...

I've always done my own oil changes. Drain the oil, change the filter, put back in the recommended 3.8 quarts. No oil loss between oil changes. No puking. Check the oil level cold. 18,000 miles on the bike. No issues. Been using Amsoil 10W40 starting at the 2,600 mile mark.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Air cleaner pods

Well, I ended up dropping a 1/4 to 1/2 quart anyway. After trying to put my left air cleaner back on after service, there is no f'n way I want to take it off again anytime soon. Not enough snorkel and not enough drain tube to work with, so hard to get that thing on, in relation to where my hard mounts are on the jug. May be just my bike, but it was just ridiculous spending 2 hours to get the damn left air cleaner back on. Great bike to ride, but in my little experience so far in 3K miles, a [email protected] bitch to work on. Just ridiculous.
Just a heads up, putting the air cleaner pods back on is much easier if you ditch the metal bands on the tubes where they connect to the pods, and replace them with zip ties that are just snug. You'll need ones about 12 inches long, and clip off the extra before you install them. This way, you can slip them on, and get the bolts to line up (and spacer on the left side) with no trouble. The bolts hold them in place, and the zip ties seal at least as well as the metal bands, maybe better.
I just add 3 1/2 quarts, start it for a few minutes, shut it off, and add the last 1/2 quart. Change your oil every 3K, and don't even check it in between. I use Yamalube 10-40 because it's available here, and works just fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts