M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the bike to North Ridge Yamaha/Suzuki today. I explained what happened to the bike (http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137117&highlight=phiberoptik192).

Question to everyone reading: I am looking at the Factory Pro Evo Shift Kit @ DLP: http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8305&str=290

I am looking for people that have the Factory Pro Evo installed in their bike and I am wondering if anyone can comment on if it's worth putting it in. I figure if they're going to have the bike torn apart I might as well have that put in, right? :dontknow:

Also, I explained what happened, and the guy up there said it sounds like the clutch exploded and he also said he'd be surprised if there was anything wrong with the gears or anything else in the tranny. So, i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also looking at installing the GI Pro and high flow air intakes after I get the bike back, as well as having them put a Metzeler 260mm rear tire on this bike.:D

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well, It is good that you got it there. I avoided commenting on your linked post in the past due to Papa had all the correct points covered. Now for some that apply to this post. Push to have it covered under warranty. If they refuse after being pushed hard, then get a qoute for the full repair and exactly what is the problem with a parts list. This all needs to be said before they start the work on repairing. I realize this is your buddy's shop where he works, but he is not the owner and may not have control over the repair. Let us know the outcome if it is not covered under warranty. Depending on where you are at, their might be a member that is capable of helping you out and saving you some serious money (ie: BigPapa, L.T.T., myself, and other that could be mentioned). Just trying to help you out and I hope it is covered.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice "futurR", it's much appreciated! I'll keep you guys all up to date on this stuff.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
On the shift kit , Mine was installed befor I ever even rode the beast, on my mechanics sugesstion, he had done quite a few allready, and was aware of the shifting problems.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,096 Posts
I think the shift kit is worth it. I've had it on mine for at least two years and it shifts great. The shift throw is shorter and it snaps into gear more quickly.

If you don't want to do the full shift kit, there's a good how-to on here on how to make the shift spring stronger, at practically no cost. It won't shorten the throw but it does get it into gear more quickly.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I think the shift kit is worth it. I've had it on mine for at least two years and it shifts great. The shift throw is shorter and it snaps into gear more quickly.

If you don't want to do the full shift kit, there's a good how-to on here on how to make the shift spring stronger, at practically no cost. It won't shorten the throw but it does get it into gear more quickly.
Well said Zoom. BigPapa and I got the group buy going when the kit was first released. And I have been happy with it from day one. Finding Neutral sometimes is a little finicky as you just have to graze the shifter to go into Neutral. But that is because of the shorter shifts that you stated.

I am pretty sure that I have it listed in the Bang for the Bucks mod link in my signature.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Some people have said it is no different then stock, while others said it was dramatic. I have noticed that on a much newer, low mile bike, it is barely noticeable. Once the bikes get around 10k miles on it, it is very noticeable how much better it is. We have 2 nines, and i have compared. When Mary's bike was new, we switched, and she said to sell the shift kit I had for her as there was no reason to mess with perfection. At the 10k mark, she noticed how much the shifting has changed and has more slop in it. Still is great, but mine, with the shift star, at 37k is MUCH crisper.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Interesting!

Some people have said it is no different then stock, while others said it was dramatic. I have noticed that on a much newer, low mile bike, it is barely noticeable. Once the bikes get around 10k miles on it, it is very noticeable how much better it is. We have 2 nines, and i have compared. When Mary's bike was new, we switched, and she said to sell the shift kit I had for her as there was no reason to mess with perfection. At the 10k mark, she noticed how much the shifting has changed and has more slop in it. Still is great, but mine, with the shift star, at 37k is MUCH crisper.
That's the first time I've heard that, and it made me think that perhaps the spring that holds the arm on the star gets weaker with use. This would explain why higher mile (more shifts and spring bends) would start to get more slop. I would think any spring will get weaker with use. The diameter of the 109 spring is too small perhaps, I know it's smaller than the 1500 Intruder for example, and it was too weak from new. Well, too weak in the sense that it did not have enough angle to exert enough preload. The shift drum is totally dependant on the arm/star tension to resist moving, unless your shift dogs have been backcut of course.
I've been fiddling with this for 10 years, and I'm still learning. This is the spring I'm referring to.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Factory Pro Shift Star / 260 Metz

Hi
Agree with previous posts regarding the FP Shift Star - it gives a definite improvement for the 1st to 2nd shift - shifts to the higher cogs are easy clicks

260 Metz or similar rear is a must - there are many posts/threads about the shortcoming of the stock rear tyre - fitting the 260 Metz gives a huge improvement in handling

I have Metz 260 rear / 130 front - but will consider a wider front next time and possibly Avon as this tyre has received good reports too - but would probably not have the Metz 160 (rear) on the front

Hope you get satisfaction with your current issues

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
shift kit

I installed the shift kit at 10k miles and now have aprox. 30k miles.I use amsoil 10w40 synthetic.I also installed the Gman oil bearing on the shift lever. shifts are smooth and quiet.I added these items in anticipation of gear shifting problems when i bought my 06 with 9800 mliles on it.Has really paid off. thanks to this great web site for making me aware of the 109s shift issues and helping me prevent costly fixes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I had the 08 109 I put the shift kit in and noticed no difference. It may make a difference with the earlier model bike? Colemans Suzuki put a slightly heavier oil in, and that improved the gear shifting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.