M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got that chunk-o-plastic off the back. Fabricated my own plate holder from aluminum, created a new tag light with some white LEDs I had laying around and used the Radiantz flex LED's for the turnsignals. Lamonster's hack saw trick worked like a charm(see the how to board) :bigthumbsup:

here's a few pics with and without lights on. I'll be lowering it as soon as my bones get here from Jason. May need to mod my plate bracket. Worried that it may be too close to the tire once the back is dropped.

sorry about the blurry ones ::) they always look good on the little screen on the camera, but once you get em on the screen........

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tail light mods

yeah somebody else asked me about that here. I made one for my bud's VTX with colors to match, but it is a pain! there are 4 layers of vinyl. Even if I cut all the pieces and sent it to you, you'd have to be a trained vinyl applicator to pull it off. It was really hot when I did his (100º +) and it caused all kinds of problems, and i know what I'm doin (sorta...been outta practice for a while since i sit behind a desk now)

·
Registered
363 Posts

I was wondering how long it would be before someone else did this mod I did it 2 months ago and I get alot of compliments on it , way to go blk

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

is that led strip a brake light and turn signal? also who makes it? looks good. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

product can be bought here http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6061&str=290&ID=240981439 I bought 2-100LED amber strips. They are 1' long per strip. each set comes with 18" of clear, flex tubing so that is the length I used for the wraparound. Cut each LED strip down to 9" long and insert one from each side with the wires left out. It uses 3m adhesive (like the emblems on the tank) and I attached it to the little flat part of the fender that runs along the bottom edge. It is the perfect height for that. It's pretty easy once you get the parts to see how it will work. If you need me to take some close up pics to show more, let me know. Since you only use 18" of the 24" you bought, you will have 2 3" pieces leftover that you can use on the front of the bike. I haven't done mine yet, but will post pics when i'm done. You can use the leftover tubing, cut it to fit and it comes with extra end caps for making several small pieces. you'll have to solder new wires onto the small pieces though.

BTW, My original idea was to hide the turnsignals above the brakelight, in that slot between the fender and the light housing. This was going to be very stealth, 2-3" signals fit perfect and can't be seen until lit. Got it all done and hit the brakelight to see if it was still visible.....and sadly, it was not. the brakelight overpowered the turnsignals and you could barely see it flashing. :mad: So i went back to putting them on the back of the fender

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

did you buy the seperate dual element for the brake light? i think thats whats goin' on in the 4th pic, right? if so did that come fron directline also? i noticed in the directline pics, its mounted under the cowl. is that what you originally tried to do? :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

oh yeah, what thickness aluminum did you use to fabricate that plate mount? also are those reflector bolts on the plate or leds? sorry for all the questions, but i love this setup. :bigthumbsup:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

bad109,
.080 aluminum for the plate mount. Made a template out of poster board first to get the sizes and angle, etc. Then cut em out and broke the angle at work in the shop. i don't have the dual element. The bolts are reflector bolts that came on the bike from the dealer. The 4th shot is actually with the hazards on so that you could see it all lit at once....no i wasn't mounting in the cowl originally. If you remove the brake light housing from the fender, you'll see a ridge inside that can be used to mount LEDs to and they are kind of hidden inside the top o the brake unti lit. But it doesn't work so I guess it's irrelevent. I'll take some more pics later after i get back from taking the kids shopping.

·
Registered
363 Posts
thats nice i did the same but i decided to mount the light strip flush under the fender instead of on the fender , i didn't want to drill any holes so i made a mount out of aluminum and mounted it under the small lip on the back of the fender  all in all very nice job blk :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

ck out the front led's that match the rear

·
Registered
103 Posts
sixshooter, how visable are the led turn signals on a bright day?? I Had them on my vtx and was always concerned that they couldn't be seen.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
dont yell. thankyou, i was just wonfering if it was included. :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts