M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry guys, but I got a different question on the same old subject.

Got a Kobalt mini filter, T shaped. Has a drain valve on the bottom of the container. I tested it by blowing air into it, and I feel air coming from the drain valve. Brand new out of the package, so I'm doubting it's simply defective (but possible).

Does it not leak water, but leaks air? Air flows freely to the out-port, but I'm worried it's going to leak oil out the bottom.

Any ideas on this? Normal? Defective? I'm an idiot? (yes)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2nd question: the hose off the air box is 5/8" inside diameter. I'll have to get some adapters to get it to fit the 1/4" inlet ports on filter. On the outgoing side of the filter, should I bump it back up to 5/8" hose again (where it leads to the air filter)?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
The filter should have a knob on the drain valve, either round or a T shaped handle. You either screw it in or screw it out to close it. Most you screw out to shut them off.

I'd go with a larger hose off the outlet too.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117146&highlight=catch

Look at the second set of pics on the first page. This is how I have set mine up and it works great. You dont have to go back up in size to the 5/8" when you run the hose to the catch can. You just need to get the male end that goes to a 3/8". The reason for this is because the filter on the end is a 3/8" size. You can pick up the brass adapters from any hardware store. The same type for air tools/compressors. If you need any help with this PM me and I can walk you through it. I know its very frustating. I've been there bro. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions. The link above lists all the supplies you need as well. The one thing I would add is get a few of the plugs for the back of the air cleaners. I believe they are 3/8". The main box is 1/2" that you will need to plug as well. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I just went out to my catch can and I can blow air through it also when its open or closed. Don't know why but I haven't had any oil leak out of it yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dreamer. Matt (previous owner) had the air filters already plugged and the catch can set up, but probably due to the compression kit, the joints and catch can were blowing oil still.

So I have that head start.

@Zoom, it has a pull/plunger type valve on the bottom. You pull it out and it (allegedly) drains, then it spring loads back up.

Weird thing is when I blew through it, air would come out the drain valve along with the outlet port.

BTW, @Dreamer, thanks for the info on yours letting air out also. Probably blocks fluid, but not air somehow.

Unfortunately, Lowe's and Home Depot don't have all the adapters I need. I'll have to put a smaller hose in a larger one (like Diesel's post) to get the 5/8" diameter to work with the available 3/8" barb X 1/4" male screw to the filter.

BTW, picked up the standard small, conical air filter at O'Reilly's. Is there anything better that is thinner? Not a lot of space to fit that thing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I DID find some adapters at Home Depot. After my brain rebooted, I stared at that big table of parts and finally came up with the shortest method with what they had:

5/8 barb X 1/2" male > 1/2 female X 1/4 female > 1/4 male X 1/4 male > filter

If they had a 1/2 female X 1/4 male, I could skip the last piece, but nope :( That's a specialty part apparently.

This is what it looks like:

That is 7 kinds of bad. I tried to install it, but it's so damn long (what she said!) and stiff (that too!), it does not work well at all.

This is it again with a 1/4 male X 3/8 barb

So I'll go with the hose inside a hose method. That clears up a lot of problems. Wish I could take the damn adapters back (like $20), but once you tear up the package. Oh well.

At least I learned something. And that is: at Home Depot, if you're waiting for that guy who cuts hose to finish with the customer before you... that "customer" is an idiot and will drone on for 20 minutes.

In retrospect, I would punch out that idiot, ask my question, buy my hose, and run before the cops arrive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts