M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the look of the Kuryakan Sythe Mirrors but I have had one HELLAVA time trying to keep the left side tight. For some reason I havent had a problem with the right one (knock on wood). I've gotten in the habit of tightening the set screw before any major ride(s). Whenever I hit the highway my left mirror loosens and swings back from the vibration and air pressure! :mad: Not only dangerous but embarrassing with that thing swing'n in the wind!!! :redfaced:

Anybody had this problem and what did you do to fix it!? I may have to go back to my old mirrors if I can't resolve this.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crush washer

Tried the lock tight but never heard of a "crush washer". I assume you get that at any hardware store. Will try that and see. thanks!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had this problem.. didn't try the crush washer... the red loctite is what you need the blue won't work at all. My "cure" was found out of frustration but it works great and I haven't had to do any thing to the Mirror since. I cut up a a small rubber washer and put the pieces in the hole and then used the red loctite on the threads. The washer pieces provide enough resistance and the loctite hold it in place... problem solved. Also may I recommend the Mirror Adapters from Drag Specialties... they actually look like a part of the mirror unlike the obnoxious looking Kuryakyn Adapters... they look terrible. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
red loctite is better than the blue, but i used a small rubber o-ring to keep mine nice and snug.

my guess at why the left side mirror keeps getting loose compared to the right is because of the wind. the left side mirror is constantly being pushed back by the wind and is being pushed counter-clockwise (and the mirror is not tightened all the way) which is tending to loosen it. the right stays put because the wind is pushing it back and keeping it tightened. the set screws that come with the scythe II mirrors are crap. i didn't even use them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mirrors

Never have, never will do for fear of loosening the mirrors myself!!

this is shot in left field but, stop putting your helmet on it

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. I took the adapter out, noted where the set screw was touching it, and drilled a light recess for the set screw. Then I installed it with red loctite. No more loosening.

The right side doesn't loosen because it tightens as it moves back towards you. The left side can loosen just from the wind hitting it since it loosens as it moves back.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
...my guess at why the left side mirror keeps getting loose compared to the right is because of the wind. the left side mirror is constantly being pushed back by the wind and is being pushed counter-clockwise (and the mirror is not tightened all the way) which is tending to loosen it. the right stays put because the wind is pushing it back and keeping it tightened......
...The right side doesn't loosen because it tightens as it moves back towards you. The left side can loosen just from the wind hitting it since it loosens as it moves back.
looks like great minds DO think alike. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
the left side mirror keeps getting loose compared to the right is because of the wind. the left side mirror is constantly being pushed back by the wind and is being pushed counter-clockwise (and the mirror is not tightened all the way) which is tending to loosen it. the right stays put because the wind is pushing it back and keeping it tightened. the set screws that come with the scythe II mirrors are crap. i didn't even use them.
The right side doesn't loosen because it tightens as it moves back towards you. The left side can loosen just from the wind hitting it since it loosens as it moves back.
I have often wondered why they can't make an adapter for the left side mirror with reverse threads so that it tightens the same as the right side so that your not fighting against the wind on the left side ???

I've only put about 300 miles on my bike with my new Scythe II mirrors. I love the mirrors and the left one is fine.......so far (fingers crossed).

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
I have often wondered why they can't make an adapter for the left side mirror with reverse threads so that it tightens the same as the right side so that your not fighting against the wind on the left side ???
GR, Yamaha's are made like that. They have a right hand thread on the right side and a left hand thread on the left side. If you notice, most metric mirror adapters are for "Yamaha" and "Everything else". They definitely had a better idea for that one. It's the same 10mm size, just opposite threading on the left.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
GR, Yamaha's are made like that. They have a right hand thread on the right side and a left hand thread on the left side.......It's the same 10mm size, just opposite threading on the left.
So we could get these metric Yamaha adapters for the left side of our bikes? If so, do you have a good link as to where to get them? IMO that's what everyone who gets aftermarket mirrors should be purchasing including myself.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well I believe this is just the standard metric adapter we all get that doesn't have reverse threads on the left side. I was hoping to find the specific ones Zoom is talking about.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
Well I believe this is just the standard metric adapter we all get that doesn't have reverse threads on the left side. I was hoping to find the specific ones Zoom is talking about.
GR, the part that threads into the perch is a left hand thread on the left side. You would need to rethread your mount to make one work. And that would only help if it's loosening in the perch, if it's getting loose in the mirror it wouldn't help at all. The only fix for that is to either red loctite it or dimple the adapter so the set screw holds better. As I said above, I did both.

Keep in mind most of the aftermarket mirrors are actually made for HD's, which is why we need adapters. For a HD a bolt screws up through the perch and directly into the mirror. Or the mirror has a SAE threaded stud that drops through the perch and has a nut on the bottom of it.

They look like what you have now, except for the threads on the bottom of the adapter has a left hand thread and a right hand thread.
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6211&str=250

1 - 20 of 21 Posts