M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched over to Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50.

The question that I have, most high end vehicles require the uses of Synthetic Oils and recommend oil change intervals from 10000 to 15000 miles, as long as you change the oil filter on regular interval at around 3000 miles.

So all you guys out there that use S.O. how often do you change your oil, can you get more miles out of the oil as long as you change the oil filter at the standard intervals.

Thanks in advance for you input.

G

·
I have posted it several times before, and again here. I change my oil (10W40 Amsoil) at 10K and my filters (also Amsoil) at 5K. I have done so in all my motorcycles and cars for over 20 years. I have put over 100K miles on several of them and over 240K miles on one. Changing synthetic more often is just a waste of good oil. Initially I verified the oils viability with oil analysis. It always came out good. I could go longer. I chose to stop paying for the oil analysis as it was more expensive that changing the oil a little early, as opposed to 12 to 15K when the oil analysis indicated the first sign of needing a change. That was due to loss of additive package ingredients, not oil wear.

You have to understand that petrolium oil is it's own source of contamination as it degrades. Synthetic doesn't do that. Extended drain intervals with synthetic works. Most people won't bother to learn why and are therefore afraid to try and perpetuate a practice required by old petropium oil performance. The oil industry and the shops make more money when the get to sell and change oil. So they are happy to keep you changing it way before you need to. Those that don't take the time find the truth for themselves keep believing it and spreading the myth.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oil Change

5K to 10K should be safe if there no obvious issues with the engine or transmission. If you want to be absolutely certain of your lubes performance, pull a sample for analysis at 5000 miles. It cost about $10.00 and it can give you a great deal of info. 8)

·
Registered
948 Posts
I use Repsol but I still try to follow Manufacturers recommendations I might stretch it 500 miles but that's about it. The payoff for doing this is that my bike shifts and performs better than with conventional oils.

My Dad once followed oil change every 5000 or 10000 on a Synthetic Oil Manufacturer's recommendation (who shall remain nameless) on one of his cars...one blown motor later... He switched back. There is a lot of talk about longevity with these oils but I have to say my own common sense tells me that oil gets dirty inside a motor and even if it's filtered and even if it is synthetic I don't particularly want all that carbon and grime getting forced into my engine over long periods of time. When they dropped the oil in that blown motor it was black and as thick as tar. I know some may say that is foolish but I like my bike and I want to keep it running as well as it can as long as it can... if that means putting more money into keep it's oil clean... so be it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I use either Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 20w-50 and change them at 6,000 miles. I change the filter then too. As the bike gets more miles I'll probably start changing the filter at 3,000 miles, but still change the oil at 6,000 miles.

Even at 6,000 miles the oil still looks pretty clean, so I use it in my lawn mowers. :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I use either Amsoil 10w-40 or Mobil 1 20w-50 and change them at 6,000 miles. I change the filter then too. As the bike gets more miles I'll probably start changing the filter at 3,000 miles, but still change the oil at 6,000 miles.

Even at 6,000 miles the oil still looks pretty clean, so I use it in my lawn mowers. :D
that is a great idea sir.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I just did my oil change today at the 5000 mile mark...With Mobile 1 V-Twin..And have been doing so every since the second oil change...

But wile i was looking through the manual for the torque on the drain bolts..I notice that it said to change the oil every 4000 miles and the filter every 11000 miles...But then it says to change them together???..HUH??..."but that is with regular oil!!"

G

·
I use Repsol but I still try to follow Manufacturers recommendations I might stretch it 500 miles but that's about it. The payoff for doing this is that my bike shifts and performs better than with conventional oils.

My Dad once followed oil change every 5000 or 10000 on a Synthetic Oil Manufacturer's recommendation (who shall remain nameless) on one of his cars...one blown motor later... He switched back. There is a lot of talk about longevity with these oils but I have to say my own common sense tells me that oil gets dirty inside a motor and even if it's filtered and even if it is synthetic I don't particularly want all that carbon and grime getting forced into my engine over long periods of time. When they dropped the oil in that blown motor it was black and as thick as tar. I know some may say that is foolish but I like my bike and I want to keep it running as well as it can as long as it can... if that means putting more money into keep it's oil clean... so be it.
If the car had alot of miles on it usung petrolium oil before he changed to synthetic, it would have had alot of built up sludge and varnish in the engine. Over time the synthetic disolves this build up and it contaminates and thickens the synthetic oil. If that was the case then it was not the synthetic oil or the extended drain interval that was the problem. The engine should have gone through a flush procedure that cleans it out first or changed more frequently untill the sludge was gone. Such situations are often unfairly blamed on the synthetic oil when it was actually improper use in changing over. I have never seen such a thing happen in vehicles that change to synthetic at low mileage. Such as with our near new bikes.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It's tough to find two people who would agree on exactly how long you should go between oil changes. If you absolutely want to know how long your oil is good for, send it in for an analysis. I don't want to bother with it so I just buy a good oil (Amsoil) and change it once a year. Is the oil still good when I change it? I'm sure it is, but everyone's got to do what gives them a warm fuzzy......:bigthumbsup:

G

·
Something else to keep in mind is that synthetics are "GREEN". Using them reduses demand on foriegn oil and is better for the environment. The more that all of us use them the more we contribute to lower gas prices and redused demand for oil from places like the gulf. It's a small step, but a step non the less. They have been proven to deliver reliable performance in the majority of use. There are the few horror stories you here, but few if any were really the faut of the oil, and most are blown way out of proportion. I have seen the investigative reports from many situations that have turned out to be mis-use or just total BS. As in putting it in an engine that was on it's last legs already, or stories perpetuated from the past when some synthetics were not compatible with some gasket materials. They are thouroughly tested to be compatible now. I've seen where fuel leaked into the crankcase causing an over pressure and even an oil pan blowing off yet it was blamed oil the oil. The true statistic are that even if you belive all of these stories they represent less than 5% of actual use, That is a smaller failier rate than most anything you can buy.

You can listen to all the hype or BS out there about this that or the other thing and make an uninformed decision, or you can search for the facts yourself and learn the truth and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Something else to keep in mind is that synthetics are "GREEN". Using them reduses demand on foriegn oil and is better for the environment. The more that all of us use them the more we contribute to lower gas prices and redused demand for oil from places like the gulf. It's a small step, but a step non the less. They have been proven to deliver reliable performance in the majority of use. There are the few horror stories you here, but few if any were really the faut of the oil, and most are blown way out of proportion. I have seen the investigative reports from many situations that have turned out to be mis-use or just total BS. As in putting it in an engine that was on it's last legs already, or stories perpetuated from the past when some synthetics were not compatible with some gasket materials. They are thouroughly tested to be compatible now. I've seen where fuel leaked into the crankcase causing an over pressure and even an oil pan blowing off yet it was blamed oil the oil. The true statistic are that even if you belive all of these stories they represent less than 5% of actual use, That is a smaller failier rate than most anything you can buy.

You can listen to all the hype or BS out there about this that or the other thing and make an uninformed decision, or you can search for the facts yourself and learn the truth and decide for yourself.
Amsoil not getting their oil from outside the USA?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I just did my oil change today at the 5000 mile mark...With Mobile 1 V-Twin..And have been doing so every since the second oil change...

But wile i was looking through the manual for the torque on the drain bolts..I notice that it said to change the oil every 4000 miles and the filter every 11000 miles...But then it says to change them together???..HUH??..."but that is with regular oil!!"
It just means you need to change your filter with an oil change at the 600 and 11000 interval. All oil changes in between can be done without a filter change. However, I will be changing mine at every oil change. Why not? I don't think it will hurt.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've been using Amsoil and getting 5000 miles out of it with no issue
I also send an oil sample to the lab to be tested each time its charge, it always comes back with good result
I am going to step it up to 6000 miles and see what the oil sample comes back with
I should be able to get 8000+ miles
just taking it easy and watching oil sample results

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took a Hydrualic coarse at Mobil

Hey guys, I took a Hydraulics/lubrication course, put on by Mobil

So this coarse may have been slanted or biased but the info that came out of it was good and based on science.

New oil is very, Very, Very Dirty even when new, because of all the ash/animal deposits left in, that cannot be refined out(or would cost to much to do)

They showed the Dinosaur oils Magnified, it looked like space invaders with large, medium, small rocks floating around, filters pick up what they can. The small stuff can be ash to small diamonds in hardness.(please no jokes)

The ash turns into that crappie varnishy build up inside your engine when you don't change it and let it go for ever.

Like the motors they have at all the car dealers to scare you with.
my Toyota dealer has one.

Mobil 1 is different, it is Manufactured using a changed molecule of natural gas (no jokes please) Natural gas is way cleaner to start with than the cleanest Dino oil.

The rocks/ ash is much smaller in Mobil1 than regular Dino Oil.

Mobil-1 has a new oil that has a 15,000 mile interval.

Toyota Prius owners received a letter telling them that they can now go 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Toyota's Synthetic oil is either Pennzoil or the Toyota Brand Oil that is Manufactured by Mobil 1

I would say after you have changed to Synthetic oil, from your second Synth change on 5k this should give maximum lubrication & protection without worry

just my nickel

Westgl

·
Registered
232 Posts
Real Quick. I use to teach those classes for Mobil, Castrol, Conoco and Chevron. I've also been involved in working on new API formulations for several years. First and formost buy a quality lube and filter. Change your filter with each change. The best synthetic in the world still gets dirty. It needs to be filtered. If using mineral based follow the recommended guidelines from the manufacturer. If you are using a synthetic you can extend the drain interval by a 1000 to 2000 miles to start. Take an sample and have it tested. If the analysis comes back good, extend your drain by 15 to 20%. Again, pull a sample and test. As you trend your oils performance with the analysis, you can fine tune your drain intervals to your particular setup and conditions. This is the procedure any reputable lube engineer will use to determine maximum oil usage. No guess', just hard data.

Extending oil drains is indeed a "Green" way to go if you are in to that sort of thing. It can also have very positive impact on your maintenance costs on your 9. In my instance, the more I save the more I can MOD.

If any of you have any questions about lubes, analysis, filters etc... feel free to pm me. I would be more than happy to try to answer your questions. Safe riding. 8)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have heard that most of the contaminants in your engine come from the combustion procerss. Also heard that if you ran your engine on methane (natural gas) that your oil change interval could go as high as 100k miles! Any one have any facts on this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts