M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to pull the tank this weekend and install a GIpro unit. The instructions recommend tapping into a switched 12 volt wire to power the unit instead of connecting it directly to the battery to eliminate battery drain when the bike is not running. Can anyone recommend and describe a good convenient wire to tap for this installation?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The front running light leads pass right through there and should be a good source of key-hot power for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Square Rounder

Just to make sure.......looking at the wiring diagram, is the running light you refer to called a "position light" in the service manual and is it a brown wire? If so, when I remove the tank can you tell me in what general location I might look to find this wire? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sounds right, but I can not check for you as that part of my bike is no longer stock.

pop off one of the front signals and check the color of the key-hot wire.

Everything that goes to the headlight nachel passes through the neck , so it is all right at the top end of the tank. If I recall correctly, the bundle that has the running light wires is wrapped in a black wrap that you can open up a bit to get to the wire you need.

You should not need to take the tank off. Just take out the bolt, pull it towards the rear and stick a roll of duck tape or something under the bottom side of the tank to keep it off your paint. That will give you plenty of access for most projects and avoid the need to unplug everything.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I have had my GI-Pro on my battery lead for 3 years. No issues with it at all, and I still have the stock battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to dig into this tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts