M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everybody. the name is Kevin from Greensboro NC. I have a 06 Silver 109 with 1700 miles. But it is in the shop right now with a broken swing arm and coolant leak. I dont know if these topics have been brought up before but i would like to know if anybody else has had these problems. Thanks

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I am about 100% sure nobody has mentioned a broken swingarm!!!
How did that happen!!

The coolant leak is known stuff, it is a loose hose clamp between the cylinders. The only way to fix it seems to be to get
Ignored by the dealer 3 times while they tell you that they fixed it... then they listen and actually take the tank and stuff off
and Voila! its fixed

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I sure hope no one was injured when the swing-arm broke. How did that happen..

Oh and :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It broke going into 3 gear. It cracked on the driveshaft side where it bolts to the hub on the rear wheel around the 3 bolts. And nobody was hurt. The bike was still driving but the crack was visable and I am not gonna push that. The pics are at the shop with the bike.

·
Registered
775 Posts
wow; how hard do you hit 3rd gear? lol. sounds like possibly a factory defect. although rare, it does happen. sorry to hear it happened to you. glad no-one was hurt.
coolant; welcome to all our worlds. is common problem. just a hose clamp. let the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Wow! That is unbelievable :eek: :eek: :eek: That drive shaft tube is cast aluminum and I was under the impression that it was a strong unit. Had it not been for the axle you would have lost the wheel. There had to be a lot of stress on the tube for it to give out. Were you under full throttle acceleration when the tube failed???

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That almost looks like it took some road debris.. if not that then I'm really hoping it was just a bad piece of aluminum that didn't get x-rayed before it was used... Could be a big hurt for anyone that had that happen at speed. Glad you're ok bro, shoot us a message when you find out what caused it will ya?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Being in the welding biz for 16+ years I can tell you they don't x-ray these parts, cost way too much to do that. I'm not sure how this could have happen as it really doesn't look like it was twisted by torque, it's just broke. It could have been a bad casting I guess but this one has me stumped. :dontknow:

I do wish they would have used 4 bolts like Honda instead of three. :confused:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Lamonster said:
Being in the welding biz for 16+ years I can tell you they don't x-ray these parts, cost way too much to do that. I'm not sure how this could have happen as it really doesn't look like it was twisted by torque, it's just broke. It could have been a bad casting I guess but this one has me stumped. :dontknow:

I do wish they would have used 4 bolts like Honda instead of three. :confused:
Lamont:

My VTX had four bolts on the driveshaft tube. In addition Honda used steel for their swing arms! In a effort to trim weight, many of the bike manufacturers are going to aluminum! Something else to remember about the 109. It shares the same rear hub as that of the Suzuki C95. The motor in that bike has nowhere near the torque as the 109. Not sure wheather this is a "fluke" because of a bad casting, like you said or over torquing of the acorn nuts by the factory!!! Going to keep a real close eye no mine. Wonder if this may result in a recall notice from Suzuki for dealers to inspect the rear assemblies. This is definately a major safety issue!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First off the bike has never been wrecked. i wasnt at full throttle going into 3rd but had just let off hit second pretty hard but no worse than i have before. Still waiting to get word from the shop to see what they think happened but no word yet. will keep everybody informed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts