M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Human body Automotive exhaust Automotive design Body jewelry

Hello everyone. I want to put 300 on my 9. I am looking for a swing arm, but I understand that the choice is small. But today I found a swing arm from SDLangshaw. Is anyone familiar with this product? How is the installation? Do you need any improvements? Can I install 300 on it?

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
View attachment 419949
View attachment 419948
Hello everyone. I want to put 300 on my 9. I am looking for a swing arm, but I understand that the choice is small. But today I found a swing arm from SDLangshaw. Is anyone familiar with this product? How is the installation? Do you need any improvements? Can I install 300 on it?

(y) Interesting find!
Welcome to the board! I have been here for many years
but never seen this one, others may have, and certainly
will let you know, give it a little time...
Cheers! 馃嵒

PS:
The variety of product they offer, makes me think twice
about buying anything from them without finding out
more info, especially info about the manufacturer of the
particular swing arm.

Registered
Looks to me, with that bracket on the inside on the right side, along with the final drive assembly on the left, it would be a MAJOR PITA putting any size rim in that swing arm. I still think the two-piece arm, with the right side being able to be unbolted, is the way to go for a 300. Myself, I am staying with the stock arm and a 280.

Btw, one of the things you do to install a 280 in a stock arm is remove the brake caliper before removing the rim and tire. And re-install the brake caliper after the rim and tire are back on the bike. The arm shown by the OP, won't be able to do that. Looks sketchy if you ask me.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
I couldn't agree more with thevili and cbxer55. That site just looks shady. Check out the contact us link, it's a form and a text only link. Another of the links goes to a place that rents RV's. Two other links both go to some kind of electric motorcycle site. The about link (under More) says they are a Global Startup and tells where there different facilities will be located. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

The design itself is supposed to hold up to a 360. I've only seen one swingarm that did that, and it was a fully custom unit that had an offset in the drive shaft side and another u-joint in there so they could spread the arm apart. And like cbxr said, if that caliper bracket is made in there, it would be hard to even change a stock rim let alone a 10" rim. Maybe it can be unbolted, but I don't see a bolt anywhere on it that would be easily accessible.

Your call, but I'd look elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum too!

Registered
Plus, that right side being bulged out like that, I don't think it would work with any bike with an exhaust that extends back that far. I know my Cobra Tri Pro ends just at the axle bolt. With that bulged out right side, I'd have to ditch it for some form of shorty exhaust that would likely be WAY TOO LOUD for my 60 year old ass. LOL!

Registered
Maybe some one could get a little more info from them.. If this is "version-1" and the problems mentioned are relayed to them, they might be able to change the cnc to accomodate.
I mean, if it's a bloke trying to fill a niche gap, good on him. be interesting to see where it goes.

I only say this because I have been involved in re-jigging and redesigning stuff in the past...

all the best to all..

Registered
It's rather telling that they don't show a single picture of the swingarm installed on a bike. And it's only $500. Really? I know some of the others cost well north of a grand. I'm skeptical.

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
Caliper seems not to be incorporated. That doesnt mean the product
pictures do not look like AUTOCAD prints, not a real product. JMHO..
Cheers! 馃嵒

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Caliper seems not to be incorporated. That doesnt mean the product
pictures do not look like AUTOCAD prints, not a real product. JMHO..
Cheers! 馃嵒

That doesn't make me feel much better about it. The torque force under braking tries to shove the caliper and bracket downward, which is why ours is bolted to the TOP of the swingarm. Unless that one has a really good bolt going into good solid metal, I would worry it would pull out whatever is holding it in place and wrap the bracket around the axle, with the brake hose coming with it.

I guess that does give it a downunder sort of bracket, but I'd like to see a side view of it to see if the caliper can even bolt to it.

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Plus, that right side being bulged out like that, I don't think it would work with any bike with an exhaust that extends back that far. I know my Cobra Tri Pro ends just at the axle bolt. With that bulged out right side, I'd have to ditch it for some form of shorty exhaust that would likely be WAY TOO LOUD for my 60 year old ass. LOL!
Lol, if all they did was move the extra width that is needed to the right side, imagine how that tire would look from the rear. You would have to lean toward the right side just to make it track straight. :)

And even my Cobra Swept exhaust may not work as it runs close to the factory swingarm. If the swingarm moved over more than an inch or two there's a ton of exhausts out there that would no longer work.

Registered
I agree. Something just seems hokey to me. Without seeing it on a bike, I am just having trouble figuring out in my head how the hell it works. I mean, our caliper sits directly on top of the swingarm. This one is inside the right side, so hence, it needs to be booted out like that. But how the hell does a 360 fit in their with the caliper inside the arm? They need to show us a bike with the actual part on it, or they aren't selling many, if any. And I suspect there will be issues with those they do sell.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The other day I contacted Sdlangshaw.com asking a few questions about the installation of the swing arm on the m109r and asked for a photo of the finished product. The very next day they answered me. I attach the text and pictures.
Font Circle Logo Symbol Darkness

Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Vehicle door Motor vehicle

Sleeve Musical instrument Glove Bumper String instrument accessory

Flash photography Automotive design Jewellery Font Clock
Light Automotive lighting Automotive design Sports gear Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Here are the picks of the finished swingarm for the Suzuki Boulevard M109R.
Mounting requires the complete package as shown in the fitment images:
  • Swing arm
  • Swing arm bolts
    • Front
    • Rear
  • Lock nut rear
  • Cotter pin rear
  • Rim (360 x 30 x 18)
  • Tire (360 x 30 x 18)
  • Forward Engine shaft gear extended not shown
  • Forward Engine shaft gear extension cover mate to engine
    • Gear extension cover required for fitment of new swingarm to mate with forward/engine gear shaft drive
    • Replacement bolts extended not shown
    • Replacement cover bolts extended for pass through not shown
Shock absorber and the obvious surrounding parts are reused. I also did a lower brake caliper mount as opposed to the standard upper mount.

This is a high level modification rarely done due to the cost associated with parts required for fit/mate to original rear drive gear, forward drive gear.
We did this in the CAD simulating an M109R for test fit.
Will update the site to show/add images.
This was a side project we did some time ago.

Registered
2009 / VZR1800
The other day I contacted Sdlangshaw.com asking a few questions about the installation of the swing arm on the m109r and asked for a photo of the finished product. The very next day they answered me. I attach the text and pictures.

Here are the picks of the finished swingarm for the Suzuki Boulevard M109R.
Mounting requires the complete package as shown in the fitment images:
  • Swing arm

• Swing arm bolts
    • Front
    • Rear
  • Lock nut rear
  • Cotter pin rear
  • Rim (360 x 30 x 18)
  • Tire (360 x 30 x 18)
  • Forward Engine shaft gear extended not shown
  • Forward Engine shaft gear extension cover mate to engine
    • Gear extension cover required for fitment of new swingarm to mate with forward/engine gear shaft drive
Shock absorber and the obvious surrounding parts are reused. I also did a lower brake caliper mount as opposed to the standard upper mount.

This is a high level modification rarely done due to the cost associated with parts required for fit/mate to original rear drive gear, forward drive gear.
Will update the site to show/add images.
This was a side project we did some time ago.
Well as I said, all only on the drawing board.
To feed them money seems to me pretty risky.
JMHO

Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
Yeah, those are 3D CAD drawings, not pictures of something they have actually made.

I found this interesting too. Apparently you have to add an offset or extended secondary drive to get it to mate up with their swingarm. That explains how they can get a 360 in there. Also odd that they call the rim and tire the same description. And I bet the charge you as much for the extended secondary as the swingarm itself.

Forward Engine shaft gear extension cover mate to engine
I still don't have a good feeling about this. It may be some good design, but I would have to actually see one on a rolling bike before I dropped cash on it.

Registered
Aside from that, I would never go 360. 300, yeah. 360? Nope!

Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
Old post revival. (I just saw this)
I'm guessing that IF they actually produced this, and the quoted test above makes it sound unlikely, it was a one-off for a custom show bike.

Perhaps if that inside down under bracket bolts on from the outside it could be more functional. But, with all of the questionable details, and lack of any actual phographs, I would say this part is "vaporware." (Translation: I agree with you guys who say not to buy.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts