M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if someone is using oil filters other than suzuki, and if there's a better oil filter out there,,,,:dontknow:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have only used suzuki oil filter once, first oil change. I have been using amsoil oil filter since.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
I normally use Amsoil filters on mine too, but a couple times I've needed a change and had to get something else. What I use is are NAPA 1359 filters. They usually don't keep them in stock but have them for me the next day. Most Suzuki bikes, and even most of their ATV's, use the same filter. My wife's S50 has the same filter on it.

Here's a complete list of all the filters that fit, compiled by Robert May. The "none are recommended" statement means he's not recommending a specific filter, but any of them will fit.

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended.

This is a proprietary Suzuki
thread, and no high performance
filters are made for 20mmx1mm
threads. Available filters include:
AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
VESRAH vsf-3009

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Well Mike....the scientists and explorers gather the information, but it's the librarians that make sure it's distributed to all :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
i just did an oil filter and used a fram.

they are available at wal mart for like $6. honestly i dont feel theres a whole lot of difference in them so why spend the dough on an expensive one...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
i just did an oil filter and used a fram.

they are available at wal mart for like $6. honestly i dont feel theres a whole lot of difference in them so why spend the dough on an expensive one...
Not all filters are created equal, I am currently using a K&N, and have cross-referenced it with a Wix filter that costs half as much ($6) and I will be buying a couple of the Wix filters for my next oil changes. If a wix is good enough for a half a million piece of farm machinery then it should do a good job for my 9. Wix has superior flow and filtration compared to Fram since Wix uses cotton instead of Fram's cardboard/paper element.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

And this link has info for a couple different filters to cross reference, plus some other opinions on what these people think of certain filters.

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=218.0

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oil Filters

Stay away from the Fram Filters. They are one of the worst filters made today. Used to be a great company with a great product but not anymore. The same could be said for Wix. They are no longer owned by Dana Corp.. I'm afraid they are going the way of Fram. The Napa filters used to be made by Wix but that has all changed since the Dana sellout. I'm not sure who is making them now. K&N makes a great filter as well as Baldwin (B7419). Baldwin is known for Heavy Duty and High Performance filters and cost a little more than the Fram & Wix (Maybe 20%) but it's well worth it. If you get a chance, cut your filters open and inspect the actual filter inside the can. Fram's will shock you.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Stay away from the Fram Filters. They are one of the worst filters made today. Used to be a great company with a great product but not anymore. The same could be said for Wix. They are no longer owned by Dana Corp.. I'm afraid they are going the way of Fram. The Napa filters used to be made by Wix but that has all changed since the Dana sellout. I'm not sure who is making them now. K&N makes a great filter as well as Baldwin (B7419). Baldwin is known for Heavy Duty and High Performance filters and cost a little more than the Fram & Wix (Maybe 20%) but it's well worth it. If you get a chance, cut your filters open and inspect the actual filter inside the can. Fram's will shock you.
When did this happen? And even though they sold out, how do you know that wix changed their filters?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
When did this happen? And even though they sold out, how do you know that wix changed their filters?
It appears Wix is now owned by Affinia Group, and not Dana. I just looked at the Napa Gold 1359 filter I still have in the box and it says:

Affinia
Wix Filtration Corporation

Found this link:
http://www.affiniagroup.com/wps/portal/affiniagroup

I don't know when they bought them or if the filters changed, but with Wix's reputation I doubt they changed much.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hopefully the quality is still the same, I will still try the wix and might even cut one open to see the filter element.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts