M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
would make it harder to change the filter...... its already tight enough as it is... :dontknow:
How so? All you're doing is removing the threaded factory adapter and replacing it with an adapter of a different thread size. It's not going to make changing the filter any more difficult...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I use Amsoil filters :bigthumbsup: What is MUCH better than that??
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I have personally spoken with Mark and he would NOT recommend any (including the Amsoil) of the filters currently made for the 109. He does however recommend a few of the filters that will fit using this adapter. They are part of the recommended list in this link.

·
Registered
712 Posts
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I have personally spoken with Mark and he would NOT recommend any (including the Amsoil) of the filters currently made for the 109. He does however recommend a few of the filters that will fit using this adapter. They are part of the recommended list in this link.
I use a KN-138, seems to perform just fine. Judging by the fact this link takes you to a page with a giant K&N banner ad on it would indicate endorsement of the product.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hahahaha--none of the filters that fit the bike are recommended by the guy that makes an adapter to adapt other filters==Hahahaha
Thanks to ville'billy for finding another option for our bikes. The posts about nothing recommended was funny.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hahahaha--none of the filters that fit the bike are recommended by the guy that makes an adapter to adapt other filters==Hahahaha
Thanks to ville'billy for finding another option for our bikes. The posts about nothing recommended was funny.
I guess if I made money selling something and would make more by saying something was not any good (If I was that kind of person..) I would sa:bigthumbsup:y it sucks.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The guy who made the filter charts and tests the filters doesn't make the adapter, you ninny...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I use a KN-138, seems to perform just fine. Judging by the fact this link takes you to a page with a giant K&N banner ad on it would indicate endorsement of the product.
I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ or anything, but how do you know how it's performing? Just because that's what you have installed on the bike and you haven't had any oil related problems is no indication of how well, or how poorly a filter does it's job. Mark Lawrence tests oil filters. He takes them apart and finds out how well they filter, and how well they're made. He knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ or anything, but how do you know how it's performing? Just because that's what you have installed on the bike and you haven't had any oil related problems is no indication of how well, or how poorly a filter does it's job. Mark Lawrence tests oil filters. He takes them apart and finds out how well they filter, and how well they're made. He knows what he's talking about.
I trust that it's doing the job. I have dealt with some of the folks at K&N engineering and they are top notch, stand-up individuals.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I understand that the fitting gives us some more choices--that's good.
I read his website, and he recommends his top pick as a Purolator Pure one. In a comment at the bottom, he says Purolator does not recommend this filter for a motorcycle, but the DMV says his bike is a vehicle, so he is going to use the filter anyway??? I think maybe I don't need advice from guys that use logic like that. I'm sure he is good at cutting filters apart but maybe he should keep filters designed for other vehicles in a separate category.
dw

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I understand that the fitting gives us some more choices--that's good.
I read his website, and he recommends his top pick as a Purolator Pure one. In a comment at the bottom, he says Purolator does not recommend this filter for a motorcycle, but the DMV says his bike is a vehicle, so he is going to use the filter anyway??? I think maybe I don't need advice from guys that use logic like that. I'm sure he is good at cutting filters apart but maybe he should keep filters designed for other vehicles in a separate category.
dw
The determining factor of whether or not a particular filter is suitable for a particular vehicle is the pressure rating of the bypass valve. As long as you're using a filter with the same psi rating as that of the filter made for that vehicle, it's suitable.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
The determining factor of whether or not a particular filter is suitable for a particular vehicle is the pressure rating of the bypass valve. As long as you're using a filter with the same psi rating as that of the filter made for that vehicle, it's suitable.
Stock pressure on a 109 filter is 11psi
the filter he recommends is 14psi

So what is his reason for that? :dontknow::dontknow:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts