M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a full cut Suzuki gel seat on my 9. It feels like I'm sitting on a large yellow pages book. I have read that they need to be broken in to be comfortable but will it come down when it is broken in? I don't need to sit higher. I have almost 11,000 miles on my factory seat maybe it has sunk from the original riding hight.
James

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
They will wear in some . Its been a while since i have used my suzuki gel seat . but one thing for sure STOCK SEATS stink !

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
They will wear in some . Its been a while since i have used my suzuki gel seat . but one thing for sure STOCK SEATS stink !
:agree::agree: The OEM seat was torture after 15 minutes of riding. The Gel was a great improvement !! Wish I had the $$$ for a custom seat.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The "Gel" part of the seat is misleading. I have one and when you hear the work gel you think, soft, squishy, molds to your butt. Put in reality the gel seat is very firm, however I find it quite comfortable and it puts you in a nicer riding position IMO.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You need to mold the seat to your a*s.

You can do this over time or you can speed up the issue with some heat.

You can let it sit in the sun for a few hours so it is good and rocking hot then hop on and let it mold as it cools.

Or, I put mine in a cardboard box and pointed a space heater at the box for an hour. Then I put the seat back on the bike, sitting on a jack in my garage. I sat on the seat with no weight on the pegs and not even touching the bars, so that all of my weight was on my butt. That seemed to do the trick as it just feels much better now.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I didn't notice this. My Full cut gel seat was comfortable from day one.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got mine in over the weekend and I gotta say that mine must be defective because it felt great from the first sit down. I'll have to call DLP and demand a refund and get the right one.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,047 Posts
Mine is firmer than a stock seat, but supports better and is very comfortable. The gel layer they put in these isn't very thick, maybe 3/8" at the most so it's not going to squish a lot. It's thick enough to hold a lot of heat on a hot sunny day though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I put my seat on in the winter and thought it was like a rock until it warmed up a little, much softer after being in the sun for a while. It's quite supportive after getting used to it. One precaution, it gets pretty warm if left in direct sun for a long time.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My stock seat would give me pain in an hour. I put on a gel seat and rode 400 miles the first day on it...no pain. It was suprisingly firmer though and I was skeptical at first.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
In my original review of the standard Gel Seat, I said that I expected a much softer seat. When I received the seat, I noticed that it was "fuller" then the stock seat, but not soft at all. I was prematurely dissapointed, until I realized that the Gel seat actually changes your seating position so that it is more comfortable. The Standard Cut Gel Seat has a couple of more inches on the back for padding, which I find supports my butt a lot more. Also, on hard acceleration, that extra padding provides support so I dont slide around.

All in all, the gel seat is definitely worth it, just know what to expect! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
539 Posts
My stock seat was ok until about 2000 miles. The foam seemed to just go away and I am not a fat ass. The jel seat is great and does not look like a trampoline like the stock seat when parked.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not saying it's not comfortable I just hope it sinks a little. I feel like I'm sitting too high now.
James

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm close to 7K on a stock seat.No comfort problems.I've heard Mustang seats are a good choice for aftermarket.
Unfortunately Mustang does not make aftermarket seats for the M109R. Corbin does however. I would have picked up a mustang seat if they made them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's interesting, because I felt the same way. When I first got mine I thought it felt like someone had cut out some of the foam and replaced it with a Sears catalog!

I wasn't in love with my gel seat at all, but I thought I'd give it 1,000 miles before deciding. At abut 1500 miles I still wasn't sure, so I put the stock seat back on. Once sitting on the stock seat again, I quickly decided that I liked the gel better.

Thing about the gel is that in the sun it will get very hot, and holds the heat for a long time, giving the sensation that your sitting on a hot plate. In the cold, the gel gets hard, and seems to take quite a few miles before your butt warms it and softens it .

I think if I had it to do over, I'd save the money. I never really had any problems with the stock seat anyway!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
How about the gel seat pillion pad. Does it have the same issues? Would my wife notice a big difference on it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts