M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my bike back from it's first service I noticed the the valve in the exhaust pipe squeaks when it cycles after I turn the key on.  Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine was like that out of the box, and others have had the same comments. Not to worry is the common consensus.

I hope you ate that beast you killed!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
My dealer is replacing mine under warranty. Not sure what good that will do, because it'll likely just do the same thing.
Maybe they have a better unit now or something...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FL109er said:
Mine was like that out of the box, and others have had the same comments. Not to worry is the common consensus.Â

I hope you ate that beast you killed!
Thanks for the info, and yep got about 900 pounds to go!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its under the exhaust from back of the tank covered by a plastic / rubber cover with two bolts, it has two cables attached to a pulley. I just found it today and need to oil it myself.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well I have tried everything I know to quieten the squeak and it is still there. I guess I am going to learn to live with it or :evil: disable the thing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Your welcome ! Just reading the manual on EXCV inspection on page 7-3 and it says I quote

1.Turn the EXCV by hand and check that it moves smoothly. What do they consider smoothly

2. If it does not move smoothly, replace the EXCV together with the muffler body.

3. Decarbonize the EXCV if necessary. This one may or may not cure the squeak, what ever it is ?

Turning the EXCV is shown after removing the cables. Has anyone done this ?????

It also says that the EXCV is available only as the muffler body assembly.

Big dogs on the board what do you think ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I started this thread mine has squeaked on and off. I've forgotten about it. I don't believe that lubricating it is going to work for long because it's the valve that's squeaking not the actuator. The valve is connected directly to the exhaust and it gets hotter than any normal lubricant will withstand. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm not worried about it anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts