M109 Rider Forums banner

Does the chance of rain in the forecast affect your decision to ride?

• I NEVER ride if there is rain in the forecast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only ride if the forecast for rain is 30% or less

• I ride whenever I want and never bother checking the forecast

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been getting allot of rain down here in Southern Louisiana (at least a daily afternoon shower if not more).   :swear:  As a result of being a fairly new 109 owner I'm always looking for the opportunity to ride  :D and find myself constantly looking at the local radar on the Internet, or the Weather Channel on the TV to try to get the local forecast.  Usually, if there is a forecast of 30% or more for a chance of rain in my local area, I won't take the chance to ride.  While there is nothing more I love than being out on my new 109  :bigthumbsup: - I HATE getting caught in the rain!  Its not as much as having to ride through it, as it is having to give it that thorough cleaning!

I'd also be interested in knowing - if you're riding and get caught in the rain, will you pullover and give it a chance to slack down or stop, or do you ride through it to your destination?

Anyway, just curious as to what other's riding habits are when it comes to the weather!

Thanks for participating in the survey!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hey Investor, I'm with you and do the same thing. I check the radar, etc and won't ride if over a 30% chance. And for the same reason. Hate to clean that mutha after getting all the wet road muck up in those areas you can't hardly reach. Especially on the 109. However, if I get caught in the rain, I ride on. Takes a long time to pull over and wait for the road to dry! That just rained wet road will get you as dirty as riding in the rain. :D

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Have you spent 2 hours properly cleaning your bike after hours of riding in the rain?

I rode for hours in the wet last week and the bike looked like I wiped my arse with it. Took two wash sessions to get it back to show room finish.

I always check the radar and forecast before riding. It's just a habit I have from flying planes. Always be aware of the weather. Besides I usually have a laptop with me during the week. I don't want to have to replace it.

I also monitor local radar when the weather starts getting bad. If I see lines of thunderstorms in-bound, I hit the road to avoid them..

G

·
I always check but I seldom let rain in the forcast stop me because I would never ride. It rains all the time in Florida. I do look at radar and make a decision for myself.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cdaniel76 said:
Where you at in Southern, LA??Â

I'm in Slidell.
Hi Partner - I'm in Mandeville. Will you be at Southside tomorrow evening - weather permitting?

G

·
I have spent many miles on my wing in the rain and it doesn't bother me one bit. Have not been in the rain on the 109 yet. Clean up is the worst especially out here in the Amish country. Aside from the ordinary stuff on the road we have "Road Apples". Translation - Horse Crap. The Amish have church every other Sunday so if you happen to go through the neighborhood on a Sunday that they are having church, you will get that country odor all over your bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
if its already raining when i want to go somewhere i'll take the car but if it rains when i'm going home it doesn't bother me

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I commute on my bike all year round, rain or shine.
I've only owned my 109 for 2 months, but I plan to ride it all year here.
:super: :doorag: :super:
:a18:

G

·
I don't ride if it's too cold.....cause I don't enjoy it.

I don't ride if it's too hot.....cause I don't enjpy it.

I don't ride if it's raining.....cause "I" enjoy it, but, I don't like my bike gett'in dirty.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I checked the 30%, but in all honesty, I just look at the radar and see if there is something currently moving toward me. I have been caught twice... once unprepared with half helmet and sunglasses (ouch) and the second time coming home from the beach this past Saturday. I had my Tourmaster Elite 2 piece rainsuit which started out a bit warm, but once the rain dropped the temp, kept me comfy and dry for the remaining 60 miles. I also broke out my flip down face shield that snaps to my half helmet. Kept most of the rain off my face, but it stopped just below my lower lip so my chin and neck weren't really protected. I don't mind riding in the rain as long as I'm able to stay dry. I just hate cleaning the bike afterward. When I ride to work (30 miles) I check Accuweather to see if there is rain forcast for the hour I'll be on the road that morning, or the hour I'll be on the road the next morning when I'm leaving work.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As long as I have my full face helmet on I actually kinda of like riding in a nice cool summer rain. Feels great, especially riding out here in the HOT desert.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
I hate taking off in the rain but I will deal with it if I get caught in it. I try and avoid it if possable. ::)

I do have something that I've been doing for the last 4 years. At first snow I always go for a ride on the Boss Hoss. It's the talk of the town around here :D "Hey did you see that guy on the big V8 motorcycle riding in the snow today?" :2cool:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Funny, just last night me and the wifey took the bike out to get something to eat. Its been hot humid but dry, 20% chance of rain though. We pass a guy going the opposite direction, do the gesture thing, he puts his finger up and waves it like no, no. I'm thinking, hhmmm, what's he mean? Must be a cop up here or something. About 3 minutes later a friken down pour. Guess thats what he was meant. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
For one thing, I try to avoid the rain, until I have more riding experience.

The other reason is I like my bike to stay **** and span :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lamonster said:
I hate taking off in the rain but I will deal with it if I get caught in it. I try and avoid it if possable. ::)

I do have something that I've been doing for the last 4 years. At first snow I aways go for a ride on the Boss Hoss. It's the talk of the town around here :D "Hey did you see that guy on the big V8 motorcycle riding in the snow today?"Â :2cool:

Ya know my daddy always told me there si a fine line between dedication and stupidity.. :D

We'll call it dedication this week ;)
:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.