M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I just wanted to post about a product I just used to remove a boot scuff from the rear seat cowling and a rub mark from my tank. The name of this stuff is Shine Restorer Plus from 3M. It goes on and comes off just like wax and it only took a few minutes to remove both marks. The cost was about $9.00 (US) for an 8 oz. bottle.

Rabbit

·
Registered
817 Posts
Rabbit said:
Hello everyone! I just wanted to post about a product I just used to remove a boot scuff from the rear seat cowling and a rub mark from my tank. The name of this stuff is Shine Restorer Plus from 3M. It goes on and comes off just like wax and it only took a few minutes to remove both marks. The cost was about $9.00 (US) for an 8 oz. bottle.

Rabbit
Where is it available?

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
I'm still looking for a good swirl remover. She looks nice in the shade, but when you get out into the direct sunlight you see the spider webs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wanted & rynosback,

The bottle says that it "removes surface scratches, swirl marks & light oxidation". It did a great job on the surface scratch and rub mark on my tank so I would imagine that it works on swirl marks as well. I purchased at Wal- Mart of all places but you could probably get it anywhere that sells this type of 3M product. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks Rabbit. I found some at Wally World. It was not stocked with the car wash stuff, so that threw me for a minute. It was with the auto body repair stuff.

·
Registered
302 Posts
For what it's worth, I used a product by Meguire's called "Tech Wax". It's a synthetic polymer "wax". Goes on and wipes off just as ordinary wax..........but the finish is incredible.

My 109 is black and had a few minor surface imperfections............but after a couple of coats of the Meguiar's, the finish looks an inch deep with no signs of surface scratches. (It looked 100% better after coat # 1 as well)

Got it at Auto Zone for about 15 bucks a bottle. Not cheap...........but well worth the coin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tried mothers swirl remover, Maguires tech wax, 3M perfect-it II, Nu finish scratch doctor, and a few others. I have used a buffer and by hand, still have swirl marks and I wax after using the swirl removers. Not gone yet.

Just curious have any of you used any product that has got rid of the swirl marks. I must have over 20 coats of these products on the bike, not any of the swirl marks are gone. The shine is very good.

I have a post about this subject on this board, and thats why I have tried most of the products.

Bike looks great in the shade, get in the sun and the swirls marks shine. Not what I want to see.

Does any one that got the black 109 have swril marks in paint. How does the swirl marks get in the paint in the first place.

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
larry109 said:
Tried mothers swirl remover, Maguires tech wax, 3M perfect-it II, Nu finish scratch doctor, and a few others. I have used a buffer and by hand, still have swirl marks and I wax after using the swirl removers. Not gone yet.

Just curious have any of you used any product that has got rid of the swirl marks. I must have over 20 coats of these products on the bike, not any of the swirl marks are gone. The shine is very good.

I have a post about this subject on this board, and thats why I have tried most of the products.

Bike looks great in the shade, get in the sun and the swirls marks shine. Not what I want to see.

Does any one that got the black 109 have swril marks in paint. How does the swirl marks get in the paint in the first place.
I feel for you, I have the same problem. I'll keep buying and trying till it is right. I'll let you know what works when it works.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i don't even know what a swirl mark is. i guess it's self-explanatory, but i don't see any swirls on mine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
All paint is going to have imperfections in bright sunlight, even brand new paint.

However, you may have a worse problem now. Thing is, most of the products you mentioned contain quartz silica. It is essentially liquid sandpaper. It works on the same principle as sandpaper -- replacing scratches and imperfactions with new, smaller scratches and imperfections.

Because they contain abrasives, many of these products (ScratchX and Nu Finish for sure, don't know about the others) should only be applied BY HAND. If you applied about 20 coats of this stuff and used a buffer, just stop trying. You're just making it worse.

At this point, you might try calling an auto body place. Some have professional machine-applied treatments that might help.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have polished bare aluminum with "Jewelers Rouge" and as the name implies it is used by Jewelers for polishing gold, silver and other precious metals. You may want to try this on a small painted surface other than your bike and see what the results is. It has a ultra-ultra-ultra fine abrasive and my be just what your looking for. Additionally, for large painted surfaces, there is a product called "Black Magic" which is a swirl remover and is used by autobody repair shops. It's applied with a buffer and "foam buffing pad". Street Rod folks swear by this product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts