M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
G

·
No offense, but you're all over the map with your engine knowledge. F1 and Indy are na motors. Top dragbikes are turbo. Top jap car drags are turbo.
F1 and Indy are NA now but they were at their fastest when they used them. They would still be using them not restricted from using turbos as they are now. Bikes switched to turbos when the went with this generations higher reving engines. In the past the supercharged bikes were faster, than the turbos of the day.

G

·
F1 and Indy are NA now but they were at their fastest when they used them. They would still be using them not restricted from using turbos as they are now. Bikes switched to turbos when the went with this generations higher reving engines. In the past the supercharged bikes were faster, than the turbos of the day.
I'll give the bikes, cause I am not gonna spend anymore time on this, but the fastest Indy laps and winners were done with turbo. Cosworth, Menard V-6. Far as I can tell, Chevy Indy V-8's were na.

Guess in the end it's a pissing contest. I'll piss with turbo.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two years ago at a bike show I talked to guy who builds supercharged bikes. He was showing several they had built with one being a Harley. One was maybe going to Jay Leno if they could beat his jet engine rocket bike LOL. They were custom build from the ground up and claimed 200 + MPH with 200+ HP. They were relly sweet and looked like a chopper anyway long story short. I asked the motor man of the company what would it take to put a supercarger on my 109. $5000.00 to $8000.00 :eek: way to rich for my blood. Just not worth it to me. He did explain all that would have to be done and I agreed it would not be cheap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I remember some 70's(?) F1 cars , turbocharged, that got 1,000 hp from a 12 cylinder, 1 liter engine(Renault). Imagine a transplant.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Eather belt driven, which would be impossible, so electric motor driven would be the way to go for this applcation, I know there out there for the auto industry. P.S. I'm not much into turbos, thats kinda a 80s thing.:doorag:
PRO Charger is belt drive that runs in the oil.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Looks like a fun thread to jump in on. Roots type blowers do not have internal compression. They are just inefficent pumps that compress the air in the manifold. By their nature they beat the air back and forth inside the manifold heating it up and reducing volume due to heat increase. They try to increase the ability to pass air at higher boost and volumes by twisting lobes and changing outlet points to maximize flow and minimize heat increase. Top Fuel is mandated to run Roots blowers. Top Alcohol is not and they use Screw Blowers which have internal compression and do not heat the air as much. Top Fuel guys would kill to be able to use anything other than a Roots. Centrifugal superchargers are also capable of internal compression. They are much changed from the old straight blade impellers of the 50s. Now with complex shapes that move much more air at lower temps and higher volumes in a smaller package. Turbos get bad raps because people don't realize that they need to have much more than the same model turbo. A single Model of turbo may have many different A/R ratios and inlet/outlet sizes along with intake diameters and blade shapes. Correctly sized turbos combined with correct cams and exhaust sizes will provide the biggest power gain. Yes they do have back pressure. But if sized right it is much less of a loss than the other systems and it is the ONLY system that provides positive pressure on the top of the piston during the overlap phase which reduces stretch loads on both the rod and the rod bolts at TDC exhaust. It also keeps the rings seated during this time which can reduce charge contamination from oil seeping past the rings. Turbos rule where they are allowed to compete on a level playing field.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Cost for cost spray it. For $600 or so you can buy a good wet kit and make 200hp. The bike only goes 153mph the bottle will get you there just as fast as a turbo or blower. Only downfall is refilling the bottle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you really want a blower on the 9 it can be done. I ran a v twin Kawasaki 700 v force quad with a 50 shot of nitrous on it and got beat by another v force with a 4-71 blower on it. Look on utube and search for superbeast. he has several videos on there. He even has a video of it being assembled.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just looked if you type in 730 SuperBeast on u tube it should come right up.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,637 Posts
So other than a pissing contest on the origins of SC and turbos, does anyone have an kit or part number for either a turbo or SC? Is there someone out there that makes a kit?
Orient Express made a turbo kit back around 2010 or 2011, but I don't think they do them anymore.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts