M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market for supercharging my bike, I've built many V-8s using eather Paxton or Eaton blowers, however, never installed one on a V-Twin, any body out there have a blower on their bike, and does it make a large improvement to substantiate the cost of doing it. P,S. the web is very vague on this subject. Thanks :doorag::doorag:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
if you do it you will be pioneer!

i think a turbo would be the way to go on this bike or any bike for that matter. what would you run the blower off of?:dontknow:

G

·

i think a turbo would be the way to go on this bike or any bike for that matter. what would you run the blower off of?:dontknow:
You bein' serious? Or just saying off what on this bike in particular?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Eather belt driven, which would be impossible, so electric motor driven would be the way to go for this applcation, I know there out there for the auto industry. P.S. I'm not much into turbos, thats kinda a 80s thing.:doorag:

G

·
not much into turbos, thats kinda a 80s thing.:doorag:
Now I gotta call YOU out on bein' serious! I lived through the 80s, and blowers (S/C) were used way before turbo on cars. In fact, turbo has not even peaked yet around the world. GM flooded cars with S/C in the 80s/90s, but most small motors use turbo. Much more efficient in the limited space bikes have. That's a lot of crap to put on an S/C versus an exhaust mounted turbo. I believe there's a guy on here who I have not had the pleasure to meet, who'd take his 80's turbo 9er *just messin'* and run the dogs h it outa S/C all day long! Much more horsepower/torque potential.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Now I gotta call YOU out on bein' serious! I lived through the 80s, and blowers (S/C) were used way before turbo on cars. In fact, turbo has not even peaked yet around the world. GM flooded cars with S/C in the 80s/90s, but most small motors use turbo. Much more efficient in the limited space bikes have. That's a lot of crap to put on an S/C versus an exhaust mounted turbo. I believe there's a guy on here who I have not had the pleasure to meet, who'd take his 80's turbo 9er *just messin'* and run the dogs h it outa S/C all day long! Much more horsepower/torque potential.
I only say that because, that decade the auto industry, installed turbos on anything to sell there product. I like turbos, don't get me wrong, I'm just a biger fan of S/C. P.S Blowers were out in the 30s on the dusiburgs. sorry for the spelling

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Eather belt driven, which would be impossible, so electric motor driven would be the way to go for this applcation, I know there out there for the auto industry. P.S. I'm not much into turbos, thats kinda a 80s thing.:doorag:
80's thing? Turbos are only the most efficient way to make more power, and they are the only FI (except NO2) made for the 109. Just check out all the clean diesels that are being produced around the world.....they are ALL turbo. And turbos make "FREE" horsepower, superchargers take power to make power.

It just baffles me why you would think turbo technology is old. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Belt driven is not impossible. You have a left side cover that has a centered bolt though it that is dead center on the crank. A new flywheel bolt could be fashioned to accept a pulley/cog that could be internally bolted to the new flywheel bolt. Yes, I have put massive amounts of thought into this. I do plan, with enough money behind in the future, to be the one to put a s/c on the 9. I like to be different and everyone knows I am serious about doing this.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright !!, I'll check info on turboing the 9, I'm not saying it a 80s thing, because of its out dated, NO, It was mearly force fed to us in the 80s on everything, IE, a station wagon with wood grain paneling, with a turbo charged engine, come on. It's great tech. and very usefull in many apps. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
After having a few turbo bike all of which are inline 4's I believe as well as many others, turbo charging is easier to tune and is "free" horsepower. Twins are very hard to plumb for a turbo system or I would have installed the one I have sitting on my shelf by now.
Search the web, there are plenty of twins out there with turbos and super chargers. Unfortunatly most of them are Harleys

G

·
Turbo's may be more practicle and simpler to apply to a bike but it is not more efficient for making horsepower. How many drag racers do you see using turbos? All the fastest and highest HP drag racers, cars and bikes use superchargers. All the high speed weight concious racers, Indy F1, Rolex, use superchargers. Different horses for different courses.

For a low revving tourqe motor like the 9 a supercharger would provide the most gain. For a Busa a turbo would be more appropriate. But the practicality of actually mounting one would be more difficult.

I think it's an excersize in futility. The driveline of the 9 can barely handle modest HP gains. Without a major upgrade to the tranny and the rest of the driveline you couldn't use the extra power anyway.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Well the efficiency and lag are to two different things. Turbos are most efficient since they don't need to steal power from the crankshaft to make power. A properly sized turbo will nearly always outperform a supercharged motor. There are exceptions of course like the huge blowers that are used on top fuel dragsters and funny cars. But one of those superchargers used on a funny car will take over 1000 hp just to turn but if that motor is making 6000 hp you won't really notice that parasitic loss. I still would like to see someone run a top fuel car with turbos instead of SC. Just sayin'........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Turbo's may be more practicle and simpler to apply to a bike but it is not more efficient for making horsepower. How many drag racers do you see using turbos? All the fastest and highest HP drag racers, cars and bikes use superchargers. All the high speed weight concious racers, Indy F1, Rolex, use superchargers. Different horses for different courses.

For a low revving tourqe motor like the 9 a supercharger would provide the most gain. For a Busa a turbo would be more appropriate. But the practicality of actually mounting one would be more difficult.

I think it's an excersize in futility. The driveline of the 9 can barely handle modest HP gains. Without a major upgrade to the tranny and the rest of the driveline you couldn't use the extra power anyway.
:agree:With all the clutch and tranny issues on the 9, I'd be suprised if it could handle the extra HP. I would be interesting to see if you can work around the engineering problems. Good luck. 8)

G

·
Well the efficiency and lag are to two different things. Turbos are most efficient since they don't need to steal power from the crankshaft to make power. A properly sized turbo will nearly always outperform a supercharged motor. There are exceptions of course like the huge blowers that are used on top fuel dragsters and funny cars. But one of those superchargers used on a funny car will take over 1000 hp just to turn but if that motor is making 6000 hp you won't really notice that parasitic loss. I still would like to see someone run a top fuel car with turbos instead of SC. Just sayin'........
If a supercharger adds more peak horsepower, even when you subtract the parasitic loss, then which is truely more efficient? At high boost levels the turbo does have parasitic losses as well. It creates back pressure that limmits maximum boost in some applications. A turbo may make horsepower more economically but it doesn't make the maximum horsepower possible for a given displacement at normal RPM limits. You have to turn a turbo engine almost 50% faster to make the same power.

G

·

No offense, but you're all over the map with your engine knowledge. F1 and Indy are na motors. Top dragbikes are turbo. Top jap car drags are turbo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts