M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pair of sunglasses and clear glasses that can be worn with or without a full face helmet. Something that will keep the wind out of my eyes at freeway speeds. I took a ride recently and had my sunglasses pinned against my eyeballs. I need something that I can change as it gets dark or something that goes from dark to light. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. :dontknow::dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,671 Posts
I picked up a GREAT pair from Victory. It comes with 3 lenses(tinted, yellow and clear). I think I paid $20 or $25 for them.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I am looking for a pair of sunglasses and clear glasses that can be worn with or without a full face helmet. Something that will keep the wind out of my eyes at freeway speeds. I took a ride recently and had my sunglasses pinned against my eyeballs. I need something that I can change as it gets dark or something that goes from dark to light. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. :dontknow::dontknow:
There's only one way you're going to be satisfied... try before you buy or you'll be sorry... every face is different. Hit a few H-D or big custom shops, or better yet, hit a few bike shows and look for the sunglass vendors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm a huge Oakley fan. I have a big fat head and they fit me well. I've taken several stones in the face coming off rock trucks around here and they hold up very well. You can change out the lenses on several of their models. I suggest you go try several pairs on and find what you like.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/1/12577/ITEM/Bobster-Road-Master-Sunglasses.aspx

Look at photochromic lenses. They change with the amount of light. There are a few downsides to these. Sometimes they may not get as dark as you want depending on how sensitive your eyes are. The also may not darken behind ploarized glass/plastic. It ill only change in direct UV light, which for the most part is anytime you are outside. The only polarized glass I know of is in the car. I haven't seen faceshields made with polarized polymers yet. If you are intended to wear these only when motorcycling, you will be fine.

WileyX also makes some good photochromic glasses.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I work at Oakley (Optics R&D) and will not ride without a set on my head!

They will stop a frag traveling at 550 to 650 f.p.s. I know this because that's what we do in some of our testing.

The frag will dimple the lens but not penetrate.

Try on several to find what fits.

Here at Oakley we test all the competition and they all fail miserably when compared to Oak's.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

They will stop a frag traveling at 550 to 650 f.p.s. I know this because that's what we do in some of our testing.

Here at Oakley we test all the competition and they all fail miserably when compared to Oak's.

Just my 2 cents.
:agree:If they are good enough for me and thousands of others to wear downrange I know they will work on a bike. I have seen numerous eyes saved from shrapnel because guys were wearing their Oakleys. I have even seen a pair of M-Frames stop 00 buck from 15 meters! :eek: I wore M-Frames and loved them, now I wear the Hijinx with polarized lenses and will always wear an Oakley product.

·
Registered
813 Posts
... will always wear an Oakley product.
:agree:

They are what I have and love them...and have 4 different sets of lenses.

The only problem is the clear lenses always left halos around lights and it was very annoying so I returned them...I have a clear shield instead for night.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

Just my 2 cents.
:agree: i love my oakleys and they are all i have ever worn when riding. their quality is second to none. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
680 Posts
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/1/12577/ITEM/Bobster-Road-Master-Sunglasses.aspx

Look at photochromic lenses. They change with the amount of light. There are a few downsides to these. Sometimes they may not get as dark as you want depending on how sensitive your eyes are. The also may not darken behind ploarized glass/plastic. It ill only change in direct UV light, which for the most part is anytime you are outside. The only polarized glass I know of is in the car. I haven't seen faceshields made with polarized polymers yet. If you are intended to wear these only when motorcycling, you will be fine.

WileyX also makes some good photochromic glasses.
I had the Wiley X and sent back as for me they did not get dark enough in bright light. I have a pair of Gatorz Wraptors. I have some other glasses and goggles for longer trips to really keep the wind out of my eyes but usually just use the wraptors, even at night!

Juice109

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oakley Straights. Big enough to block wind at highway speeds, but small enough to wear when not riding. And I have punctum plugs because I have severe dry eyes, so the smallest amount of wind destroys my eyes.

As far as clear lenses.... I am no help. Sorry!
Good luck. I definitely agree that you should try out as many as you can ON the motorcycle. That might be a challenge.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
man i hoped on oakley webpage and dam those are expensive!! i thought that the spys were bad.
That is why I buy all my Oakleys off ebay for half price or better. The hijinx I bought retailed for nearly $140 and I got em for $50 brand new.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts