M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my R1 had a wet sump clutch on it. My question is what kind does our m109's have? I know I read this before but cant find it. And is it similar or different than a wet sump?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does a dry sump work? I mean what lubricates the clutch plates? I was under the impression that a wet sump means the engine and tranny share the same oil.

·
Registered
398 Posts
it's a semy dry set up

·
Registered
250 Posts
slickdj96 said:
How does a dry sump work?
Wikipedia:
A wet clutch is immersed in lubricating fluid to keep the surfaces clean and to cool it, for improved performance and longer life; while a dry clutch is not. Since the surfaces of a wet clutch can be slippery (as with a motorcycle clutch bathed in engine oil), stacking multiple clutch disks can compensate for slippage.

Suzuki Web Site:
Lubrication: Semi-Dry Sump
From the Suzuki site: Suzuki Advanced Sump System - semi-dry-sump lubrication system featuring separate crankshaft and transmission oil chambers - permits low crankshaft placement for reduced engine height and low center-of-gravity (2005 RM-Z450)

Honda design on their GP bike:
According to Honda the RC-V's semi-dry-sump design, which puts oil in the gearbox cavity, also aids compactness as well as reducing blow-by. This cylinder angle gives perfect primary balance, so no power-sapping counterbalancer is needed.

- Polartek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts