M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love the chance to hit one of the major events. Sturgis would be a great experience. Time is my main concern, followed closely by: hotel costs. Gas is (relatively) cheap to go riding....food can be found cheap.

My neighbor is self employed and recently bought a 7'x14 (or was it 7'x16'?) covered v-nose tandem axle trailer for his 'work'. He's suggested/hinted that four of us (as he's test sat 2 bikes in the trailer and is confident 4 will fit easily) trailer the bikes to Sturgis next year.

Personally, I'd really, really enjoy riding to the events....I mean, I bought the bike to ride, not pull. However, this would afford the opportunity to save time. We could make the trip in one day in the truck, versus 2+ on the bikes. I say that because I've asked them to join me on a quick 2 hour ride to a specific destination (various times to various places)...for example, Steele, AL, which is about 2 hours and 15 minutes from our house to the dragstrip there. Their reaction: are you crazy? That's on the other side of Gadsden, it's too cold for that (high was forecast to 72, Gadsden is only 2 hours away). (and this....from a guy whose business makes him travel 4-10 hours to do work). So, I imagine a bike trip to Sturgis by these folks would take at least twice as long as it would normally take me. I can do 500-700 miles in a day...easily.

So, should I take him up on the offer...cringing every time I see a bike on the road going there? Should I take him up on the offer, but use the offer as a chance to store my extra gear easily? Should I just follow along on the bike? Should I take him up on the offer, but convince him to only trailer so far? Should I pass up the opportunity?

I've heard many a tale about the 'hard trip' to Sturgis. Is it really that bad? My bike's small & light, and I've heard tale of 30-50 mph cross winds. :eek: Anyways, I wanted some opinions. Oh..and size of my bike doesn't bother me for riding down the road typically. I can do 500 miles @ an average of 80-85 on my speedo easily enough.

I'm hoping to be able to convince some lucky M109riders member in the Daytona area next October to put up with me for a night or few for Biketoberfest next year so I can make that event cheaply, any takers? :bigthumbsup:

I just need to win the lottery.....so I can ride year round to all the events I want to get to...without worry about getting back to a job, costs of the trips, living expenses, etc. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wildwolf - I think if someone offered to trailer (covered)  my bike from Alabama, split the cost on gas and get there quicker, I'd take him up on it. You've stated that time & cost are a factor & this would give you extra money to shop around the vendors tables as well.

You'll have time to ride while your there. JMO.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. Another point to consider: he just got another truck to pull the trailer, F350 dually. I think even splitting it, we may spend more gas than had we just rode. :eek:

Course, it's starting to sound _real_ tempting now:
Total Est. Time: 20 hours, 45 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 1399.35 miles

Daytona Beach looks much easier on the cost/time:
10 hours, 31 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 694.32 miles

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
hell,I live 5.5 hours away from Sturgis and have had to trailer my bikes before.The Wife wasn't ready to ride all the way,the people that went along weren't ready....the list goes on as we all know.I have ridden in front of the truck and trailer numerous times and when it got too hot or windy(which it does here in good ol South Dakota)just have them pull over load it up...enjoy the AC.The wind can get 30-50ish,but usually not at that time of year.It's generally hot that time of year too,but 2004 was a heavy coat and rain gear year.You'll have fun,it's one of those things that you have to experience before you die!No Panties Wednesday in Hulett WY is supposed to be a fun day...never been there tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm riding with my dad to Sturgis, I think. We've been debating on whether or not to get a truck, stick the bikes on it, park it in Wall, SD and then ride around, but I don't think that will happen. Believe me, it's not bad. You should follow along on your bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Never again will I go to Sturgis. It's crowded, expensive, and full of nothing but drunk, and rude wanna be bikers. But then again, I'm not much on the drinking and riding thing anyway so I guess most rallies aren't for me.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
When I lived in NH and had a nice truck I planned the same type of trip. 4 guys & Bikes, drive straight through, then ride for a week.
BUT I hate crowds....
I would do it like Lamont did. trailer out the week before and ride all the awesome roads before they are too crowded. Stay till it opens, buy a shirt, see a show and go home.

I am in GA now and If I had a truck I would do the same. If I won the lottery I would instead take a week to ride out.. then ride for a week, then keep going to tour the west coast.
You will know If I win.

Sledzep

·
Registered
158 Posts
wildwolf, I know of a group that goes out of atl every year to Sturgis you can also ride with a local group there should be plenty and they on the most part go about 500-700 miles a day. But also don't forget BikeWeek :bigthumbsup: in Daytona Beach I'm sure if you go to that you'll meet loads of 109's and other bikers that are going up to Sturgis, and you should still have plenty of time to book a room :bigthumbsup:

In short I'd keep your options open until after Bike Week and see what pops up there :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts