M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
They were both at fault.

The car was just passed by a motorcycle and had nother one behind it. It should have considered the possible pass. Also the car did not turn on it's blinker.

The motorcyclist passed on a solid line and also at a T intersection, probably the only area that the car could have turned left.

2 morons = 1 accident

you would think that stupid camera would have kept rolling so we got to see the rest.

·
Registered
128 Posts
WOW I can not see how that cager was at fault. Watch the video the car didnt turn, he followed a curve. There was a warning sign
of a curve ahead. This is the kind of accident that gives Safe riders a bad name. First rider passed with curve coming up and on a solid line.
Second guy paid the price for not following the basic laws of the road. Perhaps if the second rider had gotten lucky the person in the car might have forseen his stupidity and not followed the road and saved his butt.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yea, after rewatching the main road takes a hard left and a smaller road goes straight :eek:................... hmmm could have been the reason why there was a double yellow line there ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
L-Train said:
I needed to watch closer. What a moron.
You had to watch really close on that one due to the quality of the video, but the driver of the car did nothing wrong.
Solid lines, lots of feeders/driveways, probably an unfamiliar rode, rider may have been too focused looking down the road for oncoming traffic and missed the curve sign with the 25mph limit (he as doing 50mph acc. to the speedo). Counting up all of those bad signs totals up to -5 (line, feeders, unknown road, sign, excessive speed). A sane rider would have had loud alarm bells in their helmet that this was a bad situation.Â
Motorcycling is a fairly dangerous persuit. Someone is always trying to run you over and even a little Mini Cooper will win in a head-butt with a cycle.
Constantly be playing 'what-if' games while you are out riding:
What if that mattress falls off that car right in front of me? (I drove right into a big cardboard box that a semi-truck passed and kicked up right in front of me - bastard!)

What if some steel ladder that fell of a truck appears from underneath a car and I am not riding in the car's wheel paths with enough distance to react? (I am so glad I wasn't changing lanes when it jumped out.)

What if I am following a car too closely (because I have great motorcycle breaks and laser quick reflexes), but the car behind me is too close to me and I have to stop - Oh yeah, my tires were still cold after just starting the ride? (hint: MC sandwich - I was really lucky that the car behind be bailed out to the left and went flying by - My cold tires on fresh concrete pavement resulted in poor stopping power and finally locked up the front wheel to miss the bumper of the car in front of me. When the front wheel locked the road was too slick to catch the bike and I dropped my bike. That lille 'oops' cost $500 in new plactics, a new rv mirror, and a rear brake peddal. Glad I skipped the sandwich part).

- Polartek

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
No fault for the car and no need for a turn signal by the car. The road he was on simply made a curve to the left. The straight ahead path the first bike took was the turn point off the main road. Many warning signs before the curve even came up. Big mistake by the bike with very bad results. Maybe he was watching the viewfinder on his camera???

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J R said:
i would have thought the car seeing the one motorcycle pass it and the other in the mirror would have turned on the signal to turn knowing the outcome here
That's assuming the driver of the car actually saw the biker in their mirror. The rider was hugging the yellow line, which means they weren't visible in the car's rear view mirror when he was waiting his turn to pass, and possibly only visible for a short period in the side view mirror... which even I don't check unless I'm going to pass somebody. As for not signaling, I don't understand why anybody would signal for staying on a main road that takes a 90 degree turn/curve. Do you turn on your signal when the road you are on takes a sharp 90 degree bend? I know I don't. The driver of that car is at no fault, and should not feel the least bit guilty of what happened. The driver of the bike was stupid, and stupid hurts.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
polartek said:
Someone is always trying to run you over
Now I know that riding with that attitude can make you more alert of your surroundings and more of a defensive driver, but let's be honest with ourselves. Nobody sets out to run you down. Nobody gets into their car and tells themselves, "Lets find some poor biker to run over today." People today are just inattentive and have too much shit going on around them distracting them from the job of driving. The main reason for M/C vs car wrecks is because people are always rushing. Trying to get somewhere in a hurry. This is why they don't take the time to really look before they turn. They just make a quick glance and when their mind doesn't register anything bigger than a Yugo, their mind gives them the "all clear" signal, and they go. Too much in a rush to look twice. Gotta hurry up and pass that line of cars so they take a quick glance and don't register the motorcycle coming in the other lane. Maybe they see the headlight with running lights and their brain registers it as distant car headlights since they look so close together. It's all because we are always in a hurry, or running late, or too damn distracted from all the crap going on in life to notice the important things like what's going on outside their cars. Still, that doesn't mean they are out to run us down. Just so happens everything I just mentioned as being the faults of the cagers is what got that biker in the video. He was in too much of a hurry, just had to pass that car, even though the lines in the road (that are double for a reason) told him to wait. He was so much in a hurry, and not paying attention to the sign that warned of a curve or heck even to the fact that the double yellow lines suddenly turned left just ahead. Does the fact that he was in such a hurry, or was inattentive, or distracted mean that he was out to run a cager down that day?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Holy Sh!t. Guess the guy lived or his friend truned around and took the video cam off the bike. Yeah, looks like too much stupid, mainly the cycle's fault, though a turn signal would have been nice.

Hard curve ahead, double yellow line, speeding, and passing usually doesn't have too many good outcomes. The side street was just an additional obstacle.

·
Registered
721 Posts
polartek said:
What if that mattress falls off that car right in front of me? (I drove right into a big cardboard box that a semi-truck passed and kicked up right in front of me - bastard!)

What if some steel ladder that fell of a truck appears from underneath a car and I am not riding in the car's wheel paths with enough distance to react? (I am so glad I wasn't changing lanes when it jumped out.)

- Polartek
Guy had a shower hit him here in Austin during the R.O.T. Rally.... He didnt make it.......
Of all the things that could happen, he was taken out by a SHOWER on the highway. :eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Three things are "for sure".
1. Stoopid
2. It was a Suzuki
3. He/she was going about 50 some miles an hour. He/she then went from 50 to 0 pretty quickly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Medic1210 said:
...Nobody sets out to run you down. ...Â
Not from what am told of drivers in NJ. Someone told me they had to stop riding because drivers in NY would make sport of tapping you from behind - regardless of speed. :eek:
The comment is more about being in the state of mind that guys in big white Buicks and now SUV's are out to get you when you're on your bike.Â
If you go with that 'paranoid' point of view, you will do your best to keep you and your bike out of positions that will get you hurt. You will be in a better position to react when some inattentive yahoo does try to mow you down (and they will try).

- Polartek

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
polartek said:
Someone told me they had to stop riding because drivers in NY would make sport of tapping you from behind
Again, this is just someone telling you this. Basically unsubstantiated story. The old saying comes to mind... Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see. You need to take that with a grain of salt so to speak.

If you go with that 'paranoid' point of view, you will do your best to keep you and your bike out of positions that will get you hurt. You will be in a better position to react when some inattentive yahoo does try to mow you down (and they will try).

- Polartek
That's pretty much what I said. If you keep that attitued, you will stay more alert and be more defensive.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jr, the car did not turn off the main road. The main road made a 90 degree left turn. If you pay close attention to the yellow sign, it shows the dark line (which indicated the main road) making a sharp left curve and at the top of it is a smaller black line pointing straight up. This indicated a secondary side road that joins in. There would be a stop sign on that road coming the other direction as the main road has the right of way when making the 90 degree left curve. Also, if you pay attention to the double yellow line, it follows the left curve which also indicates that the main road made the sharp left. The car had to brake to make the left curve. No need for a signal. Just watch the video closely so you will see what I've pointed out. There was no side road to the left, it was the main road making a 90 degree left curve while a smaller secondary road went straight.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here ya go JR. Single frame captures of the video so you can study each detail. In the first video the sign clearly shows a dark line making hard left as indicated by direction of arrow. In the second video, I drew black imaginary lines to show the edge of the main road does not continue straight into the edge of the secondary road as it would if the main road continued straight and that was a side road to the left. Also notice how narrow the side road is in comparison to the main road. If this doesn't clear things up, I don't know what will. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
J R said:
if i was in the car i would have guessed the bike was gonna pass me tho and been watching
See, as bikers, we think of these things. We check our mirrors and actually look for bikes. Most likely that person in the van had no idea there was even another biker behind them in the first place. Probably focused all on the first idiot that passed them unsafely with a double yellow line and never even gave another thought to the possibility of another bike about to follow suit. Of course this is just an assumption, but I'm willing to bet not too far off the mark.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts