M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stripped out my passenger seat...

I purchased my bike used and this is the only thing that i could find wrong with it when i got it. The person that owned it before me had cross threaded the right side passenger Allen head bolt that holds the seat and or seat cowel down any thoughts on how to get it out and what to do?
Such as using an.
easy out and then rethreading it to the next size bigger or what.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpfull.
Thank you.
Eric.
Here are some pic's one of them is still OK and the other as you can see is screwed... :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: stripped out my passenger seat...

That's funny that you posted this today, earlier I was swapping out the cowel for the back seat and kept cross-threading one of those bolts . .took a little effort to get it straight. So I guess it's not too hard to strip it out like the first owner did.
You'll have too drill into the old bolt and gradually back it out. Hopefully the threads on the mount aren't damaged or you will need a re-thread die. They used to sell kits for this at Sears, maybe still do? Or you could replace original bolt with a self tapping sheet metal type . . ;)

BTW . . :welcome: and enjoy the ride . . :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
110 Posts

Just because the bolt is broken doesn't mean your threads are messed up. If you use a small enough easy out, you should still have good threads in the hole.
You might want to run a tap into the hole just to clean them out though.
If I'm not mistaken, the threads are M6X1.0.

Good luck,
Mazatrol

P.S. If the threads are messed up, you could use a heli-coil insert to repair them.

·
Registered
665 Posts

If they are that easy to cross thread,I'd drill them out to a bigger size,and tap them with std,or course threads. That would help with the cross threading problems. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts

An easy-out should back that bolt out w/ no problem if made of decent quality. If you don't have access to a set I am sure Sears would help you out or you can order online from McMaster Carr. They have everything and usually good stuff for less $.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplC...63464741954&ScreenWidth=1024&McMMainWidth=812

Above is link to McMaster showing different types of easy outs and sizes.

Used to sell maintenance equipment several years ago.

I would back out and tap next size bigger if it was me.

panther06

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have had very good luck with left handed drill bits. Usually you get about halfway through the bolt and because its turning left it grabs the bolt and backs it out

·
Registered
98 Posts

chucks son said:
I have had very good luck with left handed drill bits. Usually you get about halfway through the bolt and because its turning left it grabs the bolt and backs it out
Left handed drill bits? Really? Never heard of them but sounds logical. I've always used ez outs for those situations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts