M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today during my pre-flight inspection I noticed that this bolt was loose. I pulled on it and out it came. I looked in the hole and it appears to be just that, a hole. And the threads are stripped out. Is there any reason that this bolt is there?

Also, my bike seems to be bogging in every gear. What's the deal here. I guess it's time to head back to the dealer.. :(

·
Registered
817 Posts
bpd964 said:
Today during my pre-flight inspection I noticed that this bolt was loose. I pulled on it and out it came. I looked in the hole and it appears to be just that, a hole. And the threads are stripped out. Is there any reason that this bolt is there?

Also, my bike seems to be bogging in every gear. What's the deal here. I guess it's time to head back to the dealer.. :(

Which bolt is it???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's the one circled in the upper left corner.. It's not the oil fill or the oil drain bolt. And it's not the axle. AND, it happens to be the only bolt not depicted in the owners manual... How weird is that?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
bpd964 said:
it's the one circled in the upper left corner.. It's not the oil fill or the oil drain bolt. And it's not the axle. AND, it happens to be the only bolt not depicted in the owners manual... How weird is that?
At first I thought I didn't have a bolt there but here's a better picture of it. Yes it should have threads.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
bpd964 said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

What is that for and do I need it or should I just get a longer bolt to catch the deeper threads?
I'm thinking it's some sort of breather plug for when you fill the diff with oil. Don't think your going to find a bolt that threads in. If it was stripped from the factory they should replace it for free.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Does it actually go into the differential area? My first thought when I saw it was that it was a lower shock mount that they're not using, and that they used the same differential housing as they use on their other cruisers that have twin rear shocks. In other words without pulling mine out to check, I was wondering if it's just a blind hole.
Jer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's just a bling hole, I will retap it and use it for a vertical plate mount. I am going to the dealer in the morning. I get better results at the dealer when I go in rather than making a phone call..

·
Registered
75 Posts
LaMonster, I have not looked at mine close enough I guess. Is this bolt where you fill the rear trans or just a breather to be opened when filling the rear trans? If you have taken this nut out, do you think it would make a good mounting point for a tag? It sure is in the right spot!

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I changed my rear end lube, I loosened this allen bolt and removed it. It seems to be there doing nothing. Probably a bunch were manufactured and then re-manufactured to correct a problem. Mine tightened back up properly. JOHN

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
metu said:
LaMonster, I have not looked at mine close enough I guess. Is this bolt where you fill the rear trans or just a breather to be opened when filling the rear trans? If you have taken this nut out, do you think it would make a good mounting point for a tag? It sure is in the right spot!
Well after reading the manual I'm really not sure what it's for. :dontknow:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lamonster,
My speculation was that this is actually a hole that was used by Suzy for a rear shock mount on other models and that they used the same differential off other product to keep parts prices down. Does the hole actually go anywhere into the differential area?
Jer

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
jerbear said:
Lamonster,
My speculation was that this is actually a hole that was used by Suzy for a rear shock mount on other models and that they used the same differential off other product to keep parts prices down. Does the hole actually go anywhere into the differential area?
Jer
Well I'm not sure about that because it goes into the oil sump. On a VTX it doesn't. This is another Suzuki when the same rearend housing.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I still like the axle as a pivot point for a side mount plate. If you're looking for a radius-type curved design, the center of the wheel is the place to anchor that puppy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Lamonster
The part he's referring to doesn't go to anything(I pulled the plug to check)making me even more sure that it and the other one you included the pic of are just a place where Suzy mounted the low shock bolt on some of there models.
Consequently, it could be used to mount a side mount tag, but I personally agree with Wanted and would mount one off the axle if Iwas going side mount. I'm not and have modified my rear center mount to open the tire up better.

Jer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK.. I spoke with the people at Suzuki and they said that it is a shock mount for a different model. I was a bit worried there.. He said it's not depicted in the service manual because it is not used for anything on this bike..

Thank you all for the help... :bigthumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.