M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go out to change my oil tonight (because I don't trust my dealer ::)) and knowing that I don't need a torque wrench I promptly strip my front drain plug.

Any guesses on whether or not the plug or pan stripped? Anyone know if one or the other is aluminum?

And please don't chew me out about a shop manual and a torque wrench. My wife just spent 45 minutes doing that. And she was right :(

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
L-Train said:
So I go out to change my oil tonight (because I don't trust my dealer ::)) and knowing that I don't need a torque wrench I promptly strip my front drain plug.

Any guesses on whether or not the plug or pan stripped? Anyone know if one or the other is aluminum?

And please don't chew me out about a shop manual and a torque wrench. My wife just spent 45 minutes doing that. And she was right :(
I believe the pan is made out of aluminum. There should be no torque specs on the oil drain plugs. Did the threads strip or the head? Did one of them get damaged or both? If so try to screw the plug in the other hole to see, plus a visual inspection of them should tell you.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
That sucks L-T !
You can always pick up a tap kit, re-thread it, and put in a new bolt to fit.
BTW, just so I don't do the same thing, how much did you reef on her for it to strip. Would you say it stripped easily, or was it totally because you put too much into it.
C.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't even pulled it back out yet because I was discouraged. It was just the front plug.

I barley cranked on it and I was using a small socket wrench too. Be careful with them, they seem way delicate. I have a volkswagen that has a steel plug and an aluminum pan and I carnk on it way harder and have yet to strip it.

Go figure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
L-Train said:
Thanks for the replies.
I haven't even pulled it back out yet because I was discouraged. It was just the front plug.

I barley cranked on it and I was using a small socket wrench too. Be careful with them, they seem way delicate. I have a volkswagen that has a steel plug and an aluminum pan and I carnk on it way harder and have yet to strip it.

Go figure.
You must have mis-threaded it or something?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't feel like it and I was trying to be careful. But who knows. I will get a good look tomorrow.

·
Registered
253 Posts
bad news mate I would say you stripped the pan and not the plug it is a very common occurance on the Hayabusa sump plug over here in Aus we call that a cheesecake item you could try to heli coil the pan but the safest way is to remove the pan to make sure no lil bit of alloy end up in there good luck with you fix

·
Registered
326 Posts
Steel plug, Alum pan, I guess those of us coming from the sportbike world have at least that knowledge with us. Every time I change the oil in my YZF even with the torque wrench I dread the posibility of stripping it.

Sorry to hear the news though, If you find out the torque specs can you (or anyone else with a manual) post back here ?.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Check with Auto Zone, Pep Boys Etc.........automotive parts stores usually carry, self taping, replacement drain plugs. Just a thought!

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you get the thing misthreaded to start with, I don't see how a torque wrnech would have helped you.

It's really easy to do, unfortunately. I always coat the plug with oil and thread it in as far as possible by hand before tightening. If it's threaded correctly, it should go almost all the way in that way.

A new cranckcase is always a possibility. About $2K. I don't know if you can just buy the bottom half.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I turned it in almost all the way by hand. Just cranked to hard on it i guess. I was using an 8 inch wrench so I wouldn't have enough torque to strip it.

I have changed oil for years in my FZR 600, my Blackbird, my 96 Magna, my wife's ZX6. I have never stripped one before. Oh well.

I will try the self tapping rout first from an auto parts store.

If not I guess I am buying a new pan.

Thanks for your thoughts and input guys.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Wanted said:
If you get the thing misthreaded to start with, I don't see how a torque wrnech would have helped you.

It's really easy to do, unfortunately. I always coat the plug with oil and thread it in as far as possible by hand before tightening. If it's threaded correctly, it should go almost all the way in that way.

A new cranckcase is always a possibility. About $2K. I don't know if you can just buy the bottom half.
Yes, always tighten it up with your hand and then snug it down. She will never strip on you that way. Well, unless you really wrench it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guess I really wrenched it. Was tightened all the way in.

Well the good news is I am just going to have the dealer rethread the pan to a 15 mil instead of the 14 mill it came with and they are charging me $30 total.

Not a bad deal.

I guess the other good news is I must be stronger than I thought. :2cool:

Thanks again guys.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
L-Train said:
Guess I really wrenched it. Was tightened all the way in.

Well the good news is I am just going to have the dealer rethread the pan to a 15 mil instead of the 14 mill it came with and they are charging me $30 total.

Not a bad deal.

I guess the other good news is I must be stronger than I thought. :2cool:

Thanks again guys.
Wow that is a great price. I would plan on using up a couple of quarts of oil to flush out the bottom of the pan. To try and get all of the fillings out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
L-Train said:
Guess I really wrenched it. Was tightened all the way in.

Not a bad deal.

I guess the other good news is I must be stronger than I thought. :2cool:

Thanks again guys.
Talk about coming out smelling like roses! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The parts guys at this dealership are fools but I think the service guys are angels. I will stick with them because of the $30.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
L-Train said:
The parts guys at this dealership are fools but I think the service guys are angels. I will stick with them because of the $30.
You better put those service guys on your "Christmas Card List"....looks like they unwrapped your present early :) :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts