M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following was anonymously post on PSN. Very professionally written with obvious content flaws. Whats your take on this? Maybe the competition has stung someone?

-- Suzuki's Gremlin - Luckily I got my deposit back! --

First Impression: Looks & Fit/Finish In eager anticipation of this bike I put a $500 deposit down on one in late January after only seeing pictures and reading articles. After months of hearing "It should be here in a couple of weeks", it finally arrived June 6th. When I got the call I took a half-day off work and rushed over to the dealer. When I walked in, I was literally blown away that I had now seen a bike that looked better in pictures than in person. I was disappointed to say the least. The bike looks like it was thrown together like a last minute college essay. By far the worst aspect is the god-awful inch-long tank seam that goes on for days. It's so bad that I almost wanted to go get some of that $4 chrome fender trim to accentuate it. I figured if Suzuki can't do any better of a job of hiding a seam, I might as well bling it out and make it look like the autrocity that it is. The second worst appearance flaw has to be the way Suzuki half-ass tried to flow the body together between the radiator, tank, side covers and rear fender. I realize that there ARE pieces there, but good god it couldn't have looked more slapped together. At some seams, there was an eighth-inch difference in panel flush heights! The final appearance flaw is the fenders. The front fender looks like Suzuki stole it off of a Goldwing and the rear end looks like you could fit a 380 series tire under it even if it were 6" lower. Honestly, the gargantuan, flat, rear fender and gaps make the meaty 240 Dunlop look smaller than the 200 on a Warrior by perspective. The overall fit and finish of this bike is an absolute disaster. The only aesthetic compliments I have are that the left side of the rear wheel looks good and clean and the rear seat cover looks good when installed. Test Ride: Comfort While I knew that I wouldn't buying this bike solely because of its looks, I decided to give it a nice, long test ride anyway just to see if Suzuki got anything right. As far as riding comfort, it was quite nice. Although the bike feels bulky and waaaaaay too big for a "power cruiser" the ride is cushy on bumps but not at all washy in the corners. However, corner tracking is another matter to be discussed in performance & handling. I realize, however that this bike may not be comfortable to the "average" person. I'm big and tall so stretching out and wind blasts don't really bother me. Therefore, if feeling like a ruptured duck in the wind is not your idea of a good riding experience, stay away from this bike until a windshield is available. Also, I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone who isn't at least 5'10" with a little bulk or muscle either - it is a lot to deal with at low speeds, in corners and just too big for its intended class/use. As far as vibration, Suzuki did get this right-on. This by far has to be the most vibration isolated bike I've ridden over 1100CC's. Good Job. I also have to give credit to the passenger accomodations. While I stick by my argument that the rear fender is too bulky for this bike, it does allow for the biggest bitch pad I've seen on a "power cruiser" to date. I didn't hop back there, but the passenger pegs look negotiable for companion comfort as well. My only real complaint in comfort doesn't really have to do with comfort, but rather comfort longevity. If you'll notice the rider's seat has a lot of slack in the cover material off of the pad material. Pushing down on the middle of the seat with your hand you'll feel that there's about a sixteenth-inch gap between the seat top and the pad. This is going to wear out and/or tear quickly. Test Ride: Performance The 109 is quick, but not that quick. I guarantee that despite its 120+ "supposed" horsepower, a V-Rod will easily dust you from a light to wherever you want to give up while a Warrior will get you in the first 1/8 mile. However, put all three bikes on a set of twisties and you're sure to come in dead last because of the lack of low-end torque and sheer bulk. Keep in mind that while the 109 is 7 cubic inches bigger than the Warrior it is also 90 "Dry" pounds heavier. In addition, the wet weight will have you at an even bigger disadvantage because the 109 requires liquid coolant and carries more gas. As the unwritten rule of drag racing states; 100lbs = 2/10 sec. The top-end of the 109 is what really shines in the performance category. This is contradictory to the design if you ask me. With 4.4" pistons this thing should be a torque monster, but the way they stroked the cans and geared it is for mid to high end acceleration. I'm still not sure what their logic was when they went with pistons bigger than a 454 big block Chevrolet if they're only going to short stroke the engine? It would make more sense to "square off" the bore x stroke a little more. You'd still be able to safely and reliably rev it high. Anyway, the reason I dislike this so much is because I spend most of my day going from 0-80, not 50-130. While the 109 is no sissy from the green by any means, I'd hate to see how sluggish it would be off the line if they didn't incorporate the backpressure valve compensator into the exhaust system. In closing, all in all, the 109 is as much muscle as you will ever need, but don't think that you're getting the fastest cruiser in the land (like the hype implies) whatsoever. Test Ride: Handling Uh oh, here we go again. The handling of this bike is nearly as ugly as the fit and finish. You have to plow it into turns to get it to lay down and if you don't stay on it, hello high-side. Suzuki really screwed up the handling by throwing on that 240 rear tire without doing a little research first. THIS BIKE IS GOING TO GET A LOT OF PEOPLE HURT OR KILLED! This bike pushes turns like a homemade chopper with a 50 degree rake. The bars are plenty wide to accomodate the leverage needed for turns and as far as specs go, the rake/trail look fine, but something they did (or didn't do) makes this bike track horribly. I don't know if they should have used a larger front wheel or a smaller rear wheel, but they should've done something way different. In reference, the Victory Hammer is laid out almost like the 109, however, the Hammer performs like its on rails. I don't know where Suzuki went wrong, but there is something amiss here. STAY AWAY FROM THIS BIKE IF YOU ARE A FIRST TIME RIDER OR IF YOU CANNOT AGGRESSIVELY LEAN! P.S.- DON'T EVEN THINK OF HITTING THE BRAKES IN A TURN EITHER! The only positive I have on the 109 in the handling department IS the brakes. They are outstanding which is why you don't want to touch them in a corner (high siding). I swear you could do a stoppie with the front binders if you were man enough to try. Closing: My final word is; To each his own. I personally thought I would love the looks of this bike, but ended up hating them. I am a machinist, however, so I am a bit picky about flow, fit and finish. You might not have noticed some of the flaws I pointed out until now - or maybe you still could care less. In the end, it only matters what YOU like. I stand by my warnings though about novice riders avoiding this bike - it will get you hurt, quickly. My final opinion though is that I think I'd stay away from the first two years or so of production on this bike. Looks aside, there is vast room for improvements. (Not to mention, as of now, the lack of available accessories. Suzuki needs to take cues from other mfg's and start making accessories before or while they're making new bikes.) I personally believe that Suzuki got in a hurry to get their piece of the "power cruiser" pie when they prototyped this bike. This is evidenced by dealers across the land expecting stock in early February, but not receiving anything until May or June. Not hitting due-dates is an age-old indicator of haste and/or manufacturing/scheduling problems. This bike seems wholly unfinished in many areas. It seems Suzuki thought that if they slapped the biggest motor and tire possible on a production bike, it would sell in the U.S.- nothing else matters. Unfortunately, they were right, as I was witness to it. Because of the overzealous guy lined up to buy one right behind me WITHOUT a deposit, I was able to get my full deposit back because they did not have to re-stock the bike. He said, and I quote "Its got 109 cubic inches and a 240 rear end for under 14 grand." He didn't even test ride it himself or ask me anything about it even though he was waiting to see it when I rode it in from the test ride. Thank god for morons who pay cash for retail! In closing, I don't think the 109 is destined for doom, in fact I can see a future of loyal enthusiasts who love their new bike. However, I also encourage you to look for recalls and consumer complaints on the first two model years of this bike.

Upgrades/Accessories

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
this guy, whoever he is, has never ridden the 109. He's spouting the same cliched arguments that all the competitor boards were spouting about how the 240 is gonna handle before it ever came out. All of that went away once the bike was out and you find out that it handles better than almost all cruisers. Don't even get me started on his lame power comparison. :verymad:
IMHO the fit and finish of this stock bike is way better than a Harley. When i went to look at the V-rods and such before buying my 109 i was suprised at how crappy a stock harley looks. Didn't realize you had to spend several thousand more to get it looking good.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This guy sounds a lot like a post on the V-Rod forum.  I've put 2k on mine so far... There's not one thing I dislike about this bike. I'm 6' 3" 210lbs... It's about time someone made a bike for big guys.  I went from a XL1200C Sportster to this... ahhhhhh....

This guy is smokin' crack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't care what any one else says. I love my M109R and I wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now.

Maybe he should go buy a VROD.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Forgive my stupidity but what are you referring to when said posted on PSN....what is PSN?

khrome

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is NO WAY That this guy has ridden a M109R Cause everything he says except for the fact that the brakes are great is nothing like some of us that have ridden the bike can tell you!

I mean this is my first bike I bought that I LOVED so much I had to have it before I even drove it.... I used to ride Harley's and Honda and Yamaha's that my friends have and never really loved a bike enough to put some money down, and I looked as high as 25,000! But I am not really into paying crazy money for a bike that is just for show, since all the ones made are just for show at higher prices.

ANYHOW, I recently was taking a turn at about 70 and it's an S curve but I guess with the power and having a Ferrari behind me made me go a bit faster than I should have and I did while LEANING braked and down shifted.... and I am not that experienced as this guy claims, but the brakes are so good that slowed it right down without making me go off the HIGH SIDE... just perfectly executed which quiet frankly surprised myself since I am not and never have claimed to be an expert like this guy claims.... So I am sure he wasn't riding the same bike we all were!!

Did he try a silver perhaps.... does he know they are the fastest??? ;) :bigthumbsup:

I think he should take a MSF Course and then write a commentary on bikes, since all the other major publications would disagree with him as this bike if I am not mistaken won the Cruiser of the year for 2006 and probably will repeat it on 2007!

Or maybe he was still riding with training wheels?

Usrider--------------------

The Suzuki M109R was chosen the winner in this category for setting a new standard of performance at an affordable price. This bike could have easily been nominated in both the Engineering and Styling categories. The new 109-cubic-inch (1783cc) engine features the largest bore of any street legal, gasoline powered engine on the planet â€" bike or automobile. As such, it is also the only oversquare V-twin powerplant to be found on a maxi-cruiser type motorcycle with a 112.0 x 90.5mm bore and stroke arrangement. Suzuki is claiming 123 horsepower at the crankshaft! And the futuristic hot rod styling leaves no question about the machine’s performance aspirations. The look of this bike says “get the h--- out of my way.” But with a MSRP of $12,399 it is the only 100-cubic-inch class cruiser to be had for less than 13 grand, which earns the M109R our pick as the best value in big-bore cruiser land.

--------------------------------------------------
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/2006_suzuki_boulevard_m109r/

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.cycleconnections.com/articledetail.asp?TypeID=32&ID=1019

·
Registered
817 Posts
He mentions that the M109R is not a good bike for beginners. That's about the only thing he got right.

Hey stupid -- you're off on the release date by about THREE MONTHS (dealers were taking delivery in March). He says he put a deposit on one in January and the dealer did not have his bike for him until June 6. Either his dealer sucks, or he is flat-out lying his a$$ off. I'll take Door Number Two, Monty...

1/8' difference on panel flush? Get your glasses checked.

Spanked by a Warrior? Only if you fall asleep.

No low-end torque??? WTF??? Proof-positive that this putz's dumb ass has never graced the seat of a 109, no way no how.

Forget his dumbass "opinions"... he made so many factual mistakes that he destroys his credibility in the first two sentences.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Fritz was that you again? I don't know why the tank seam is such an issue. I took it off my vtx but very few people want to spend the money to have it removed, when I am painting their sets? :doorag:

G

·
I finally had enough time to go to the head w/this morons review after I read it I put it to good use. I ran out of charmin................................

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just joined this forum. I have been looking at the latest crop of performance cruisers and I couldn't find one that compares with the M109R in looks, design, fit and finish and price. I am a former V-rod owner, I would rather not get into the aspects of that bike here other than to say it is an overpriced POS ! While I have yet to ride the M109R, having seen the bike in person and read the reviews, was enough encouragement for me to place a deposit on a 2007 model. I don't think I will be disappointed !!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I just joined this forum. I have been looking at the latest crop of performance cruisers and I couldn't find one that compares with the M109R in looks, design, fit and finish and price. I am a former V-rod owner, I would rather not get into the aspects of that bike here other than to say it is an overpriced POS !  While I have yet to ride the M109R, having seen the bike in person and read the reviews, was enough encouragement for me to place a deposit on a 2007 model. I don't think I will be disappointed !!
Which color?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wanted said:
Which color?
Either red or white...first one available. If it is white, I hope it is a pearl or metallic white and not the bland one. My first choice would be silver, but that color was only for '06.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only thing that could be improved is the tank seam.....not a big deal to me but many hate them. Everything else is really quite excellent.

Who is this complete bumblef#%k ???? EVERY test so far has had nothing but good things to say about this machine. After owning and riding it I am very impressed and I am a former sport bike guy with 30 years of riding everything under my belt .

GREAT job Suzuki . Good low end power with a very nice top end. Smooth engine with just enough personality to keep it fun. Comfortable but "sporty" (for a muscle cruiser) riding position. Good suspension though more adjustability would be nice (but not totally necessary , especially for the price). Nice features like hazards, big rear tire , and flash to pass button. Good handling (dont forget , this IS a cruiser , sporty or not). Everyone that has seen my bike has really liked it.....that leads me to beleive most think its styling is good. Price is excellent below all of its competition. Excellent brakes. New bike , accessories are coming.

The oversquare design is typically done these days for ability to make big power at higher rpms, which this engine does.....compare it to its closest rivals from Honda (VTX), Yamaha (Warrior, Roadliner), Kawasaki (V2K). NONE makes the top end of the Zuki or can rev as high. The trade off is some loss in low end but gearing helps the Zuki here. Honestly I thought it would give up a bit more down low, it FEELS pretty good.

The VROD was a bit of a revolution (though the VMAX had done this DECADES earlier ). The rod has great top end power but gets absolutely DESTROYED down low. It IS commendably light though and this helps. VERY PRICEY though.......

He is a "machinist" so this gives him an "eye" for correct styling??!!?? WTF?? wow.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think this guy's dealer did not let him test drive the bike out of the parking lot. I hope what ever bike he gets, he puts training wheels on it..... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
O.K. - I just went to Power Sports Network and checked out thier classified section to see all of the M109R's listed for sale because they are trash. Not one listed. In fact, there was only one Suzuki listed. I DID see 34 2006 model Harleys listed, though, and several 2006 Hondas ::) The only proof needed is public opinion and what I saw there proves a lot to me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
THIS BIKE IS MY FIRST, SILVER109. I WAS LOOKING FOR A REASONABLE PRICED, SPORTY LOOKING, CRUISER BIKE. SEARCHED BIKE TRADER FOR USED BIKES. BUDGET WOULD ONLY ALLOW LOWER PRICED BIKE. AFTER A WHILE I LOOKED AT NEW BIKES ONLINE. WHEN I CAME ACROSS THIS BIKE FROM SUZUKI MY FIRST IMPRESSION WAS NO WAY I CAN AFFORD THIS BIKE. LOOKING AT MSRP ON LINE I WAS VERY EXCITED. SHOWED MY WIFE SHE WAS ALSO IMPRESSED. I AM SO PLEASED THAT A NORMAL MIDDLE CLASS PERSON CAN PURCHACE SUCH A WONDERFUL EXCITING BIKE. I NOW RIDE WITH MY DAD AND BROTHER IN STYLE WITH A NEW NOT USED AWSOME BIKE. THIS BIKE IS BY NO MEANS LACKING IN ANY CATAGORY. THE LOWER PRICE IS JUST A BONUS.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I thought his thoughts were readable. Spelling was good and all that. I think if he wanted to interview for a job at Suzuki, he is possibly going about it the wrong way. Contact Suzuki directly, they will be happy to here from you as they politely nod and smile. You are saving lives (ya know); not for novices and such. I finally dropped the clutch with 1500 rpm and am still waiting for my bike to return. You have alot of spare time on your hands don't you. I like the bike just the way it is. At least you didn't only compare it to a Vrod. Thanks, JOHN

G

·
Trouble_Is said:
O.K. - I just went to Power Sports Network and checked out thier classified section to see all of the M109R's listed for sale because they are trash. Not one listed. In fact, there was only one Suzuki listed. I DID see 34 2006 model Harleys listed, though, and several 2006 Hondas ::)  The only proof needed is public opinion and what I saw there proves a lot to me.
:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts