M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange whistling/whinning noise coming from the front of the engine near the bottom of the radiator. it's not a wind noise, it's either the clutch or trannie maybe? It does it somewhat at idle but more so going through the gears. especially in fourth gear. it almost goes away in top gear. two suzuki dealers say they hear it but cannot fix it. I had another 109 that did the same thing but not nearly as loud. It's very annoying. So much so that I will sell the bike if I cannot fix it. Any help would be appreciated. By the way it is much quieter with the clutch lever pulled in. ??????

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,862 Posts
I was going to say it was just gear whine and no big deal until you mentioned the clutch. I'm sure you know about the clutch hub rattle and how it subsides when you pull in the clutch.

It may still be just gear whine, which shows up more under load, and pulling the clutch in takes the load off the gears. I remember mine used to do it a lot more than it does now, so maybe it just takes a few thousand miles to get the gears to wear in. Or maybe it's a louder exhaust. :D

Seriously, I used to really notice mine when going through town in 3rd or 4th gear, but I don't notice it any more. So either they wear in or going to 20w-50 oil stopped it.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
That's the first thing i heard when I test rode the 9 The whine, I thought it sounded kinda cool LOL Back in hotrod days we would use Pete Jackson gear drives instead and timing chains. Just loved that whin of the gears and timing didn't change one ioda. Didn't some say here also it was the timing chains in these nines making the whining noise?

·
Registered
214 Posts
A whistle/whining sound huh.
It reminds me of a finely tuned deisel going down the road. Mines not nearly as loud and since the clutch work I havent noticed it.
It may have something to do with the clutch.:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Also the sound of a blower on top of a nice V-8. Kinda like the one on my Lightning.:bigthumbsup:

I love the whine, and mine still does it at 15,000 miles, even with 20W-50 oil in her. I can still hear it even with the Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust and Big Airs.

It is the sound of straight cut gears meshing. Most motorcycles have helical cut gears, as they are quieter. But straight cuts handle massive torque better than helicals.

Live with that whine. Its the sound of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So that's what it is...

Love this forum! I started to notice the whine last week after 600km. Did not sound destructive, so was not too worried. Very happy to know it's straight cut gear noise.

-JB

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I too love the whistle/whining sound! Reminds me of my brother's old mustang that had a vortech supercharger on it. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts