M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im curious cause I'm planninga long trip--like 3000 miles--how many miles do you think the stock tires are good for?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I got 7,500 miles from the stock rear tire and I'm still working on the stock front.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
cbxer55 said:
3000 mile difference between 2 people on the rear tire?
GEE, I wonder who was smoking their tires all over town!

I am usually happy with 5000 for the rear and 10000 for the front.
That way I buy 1 rear tire one year.
Next year I get a front and rear.
Time will tell with this beast!

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
This was my stocker after 4500 miles. I guess there was another 500 to 1000 miles left in the tire. With my own A$$ above the tire I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Lamonster said:
Right at 6000 for me. No standing burnouts but a few rolling burnouts.

You know when you take into account the rubber compound of the stock tires , the torque this bike has then add pulling and stopping a 300lb trailer for as miles as it did and a little playing here and there.................... I think the stock tire did a hell of a job going for 6000mi :bigthumbsup:

I'm hopeing mone will go atleast that far, that should get me through this riding season :doorag:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Bonehead said:
You know when you take into account the rubber compound of the stock tires , the torque this bike has then add pulling and stopping a 300lb trailer for as miles as it did and a little playing here and there.................... I think the stock tire did a hell of a job going for 6000mi :bigthumbsup:

I'm hopeing mone will go atleast that far, that should get me through this riding season :doorag:
I think the heat took a little life out of it too. A lot of that was over 100 degree temps. :eek:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Pr0wl3r-X said:
bob109,

Looks like an overheated tire to me.... ???
Not sure what your mean by that??? There were no burnouts on the tire and the pressure was kept at 42 psi for the life of the tire. There were plenty full throttle accelerations and powering out of corners which caused the three distinct areas of wear. How would you overheat the tire other than power burnouts or underinfaltion?????

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bob109 said:
How would you overheat the tire other than power burnouts or underinfaltion?????
Not trying to a smart a** here, but another way is........... overloading ;) :duck:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Bonehead said:
Not trying to a smart a** here, but another way is........... overloading ;) :duck:
Gee! Even soaking wet I'm only 250 lbs. I never do any two up riding and that was the case with my 109, always solo!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bob109 said:
Gee! Even soaking wet I'm only 250 lbs. I never do any two up riding and that was the case with my 109, always solo!!
Wasn't saying you overloaded it, just that overloading is another way to have a heat build up issue ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stock Tire Replacement

I'm some what confused about the replacement of stock tires on My 9er,
I just had the 11,000 mile service done and the tires still look brand new,(confirmed with the dealership, I asked) hardly any wear at all. I read all these post about replacing rear tires at 4500 and 6000 miles and have got to wonder am I doing something right, wrong or did I just get a lucky tire. I use my 9 to ride approximately 80 miles a day to work so I'm extremely cautious about the maintenance, and figure the dealership would be the first to confirm me needing a tire (sales/profits and all that). As I am about to take a trip to Key West FL approxiately 900 miles round trip sounds like maybe I should get a second opinion. Any thoughts? I appreciate your input.:cop:

G

·
I'm some what confused about the replacement of stock tires on My 9er,
I just had the 11,000 mile service done and the tires still look brand new,(confirmed with the dealership, I asked) hardly any wear at all. I read all these post about replacing rear tires at 4500 and 6000 miles and have got to wonder am I doing something right, wrong or did I just get a lucky tire. I use my 9 to ride approximately 80 miles a day to work so I'm extremely cautious about the maintenance, and figure the dealership would be the first to confirm me needing a tire (sales/profits and all that). As I am about to take a trip to Key West FL approxiately 900 miles round trip sounds like maybe I should get a second opinion. Any thoughts? I appreciate your input.:cop:
I'd say you're in the minority...especially the front tire. Even if there's tread left, by 10K there will usually be at least some cupping of the front tire. I've got just about 10K on my Dunny Elite 3's but the front is starting to cup...handling in turns is beginning to suffer a bit, so it'll go soon...but I only got about 6500 to 7000 out of my stock tires.:dontknow:

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Made it to 16500 km,which is probably around 11000,miles...the last 1000 wore pretty quick,so i think 10000 miles is a safe bet....Metzlers are on there way,hoping i get 5-6000 miles out of them..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I easily got 12,500 miles out of my stockers. I live in a bunch of flat lands and never had curves/hills to wear harder on my tires. 11k should be easy to hit if you primarily do straight line riding which some of us are forced to due to the geography we live around.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No seeing where you're from, depending on how hot the road is, I managed to get 16,000km's on my rear and am still working on my front. I did have about 500 - 1000 more kilometers left but I too am heading out on a big trip and didn't want to change it on the road. I live in a mild temperature climate. Usual temps are about 20 - 25 degrees' celcius.
Hope this helps.
By the way there's lots of sites out there to convert the km's into mileage.
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did a trip like that, 1500 miles in 36 or so hours. Thought I could eek out the miles.

I did, but when I pulled in the driveway, cord showing all the way around the rear. Just over 10,000 miles on the bike total at the time. Both front and rear were pretty much done. I was pretty happy to get the miles out of them, and make it home alive...

If you're in doubt before a long trip, $160 for a tire that you would need anyway, is pretty cheap peace of mind.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No seeing where you're from, depending on how hot the road is, I managed to get 16,000km's on my rear and am still working on my front. I did have about 500 - 1000 more kilometers left but I too am heading out on a big trip and didn't want to change it on the road. I live in a mild temperature climate. Usual temps are about 20 - 25 degrees' celcius.
Hope this helps.
By the way there's lots of sites out there to convert the km's into mileage.
Cheers,
Paul
So do you ride a m109 or a VZR1800? Conversions, sheesh...!:joke:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts